Reviews for To Make Much Of Time
Meh. Was expecting more...was waiting for it to grab me and it never did.
Ice Demon Ranger chapter 16 . 6/19
This was an interesting story. I enjoyed reading it.
happiness8000 chapter 16 . 6/19
You are so right, life isn't perfect and it's good to read a story where people are happy without perfection and appreciate all they have. Grown-up Harry outwitting Snape was brilliant fun. My favourite line was 'Snape entered the hospital like an avenging angel'. I also loved the idea of East Enders being Snapes guilty pleasure.
Gill4623 chapter 16 . 11/18/2015
Lovely story - thank you for not giving her magic back. It would have ruined it in my opinion. Loved the story x
SilverBirchStudio chapter 16 . 3/12/2015
Great story, enjoyed this very much!
Ambroisie-Seduisante chapter 16 . 2/1/2015
Great story, great ending! Thanks for sharing it with us
Edhla chapter 16 . 6/20/2014
I can't believe that this is your first fanfic... and that it's bloody over. And I'd just got out a glass of wine and everything! ;)

Seriously lovely stuff with, elements that even I know are in character - Hermione fastidiously being a half an hour earlier for everything and George having something to do with lame decorations (lol.)

And as I've demonstrated in 1998, I freaking adore Neville and will happily sigh over any fic in which somebody appreciates the darling boy for being awesome.

[She gave... blinking...] From the context here it's not certain who is the one blinking, though I'm guessing it's Luna, who's just come in.

[outsides] Regionalism or typo?

I love the contrast between the "menacing" figure and Hermione's sweet gesture; the smell of lavender in particular is an interesting touch as it's not something I would have thought to associate with Snape (I've never smelled asphodel, as far as I know, unless I know it under another name. My sole acquaintance with it is from pre-Raphaelite poetry ;))

I really liked the reference to everyone more or less running the gamut from "jumpy" to full-blown PTSD, though there's one thing I might reconsider BECAUSE I AM A BACKSEAT WRITER (ugh, sorry, I'm annoying.) If Snape is bad enough in this to seriously hurt anyone foolish enough to try it, I think that unfortunately would apply to Hermione as well, and it might be a sign of her understanding of him that she knows he has this issue and respects the fact that you don't sneak up on him. Or something. You know these characters better than I do x

"My love" is so nicely in-character for Snape, as is Hermione's much less formal language.

And can I just say I'm really pleased you didn't give Hermione her magic back? I applaud your point, and think that a way of "fixing" her would betray the point that sometimes, life doesn't go the way we planned and not everything can be fixed with a spell.

Ooh, is that a reference to Flood?

Very much enjoyed this xx
Edhla chapter 15 . 6/15/2014
The mobile site isn't working on your profile for some reason; as a result I blame all stupidity or misunderstandings on eye strain :p

Reiterating my plea for an expanded edition of this fic with all the past-tense stuff in glorious detail (well, not all of it, but you know :p)

Ron and Snape's little man-to-man over Hermione is rather gross. I'm glad she called them out on it.

OMG ANOTHER SADLY MISSED OPPORTUNITY FOR SICKFIC AAAANGST. ;-)

But seriously, loved Snape's "avenging angel" moment in particular and you did put in plenty of sickfic and angst. I'm a sucker for the "emergency revealing priorities" trope and Harry lecturing Snape on matters of the heart is delicious. My only complaint here is it seems a little abrupt, especially as it spans nearly a week and involves Hermione being brain dead (though I could well have read that wrong?) Paced out with more leisure and detail, perhaps over two or more chapters... And you said the HP universe doesn't fit in a good sickfic :p

Loved Hermione's rage at Harry. And ouch, poor Ron!
Edhla chapter 14 . 6/9/2014
Oh, it makes so much sense for Snape (I can't call him Severus :p) would hate Hermione's suitors. Oh, this is all bringing back fond memories of Fall. I think disgruntled jealousy can be sort of endearing... and sort of make you want to strangle the guy in question.

Narcissa finding out who the Windsors are and the tabloid press's idea of "culture", and emulating it, feels so incredibly right.

Oh, Hermione is heartbreakingly right when she says not everyone gets to be with who they want... one of the tragedies of life for far too many people, but there's nothing anyone can really do about that.

I thought it was really clever the way you interjected things like "wizards... with impeccable manners" showing clearly the sort of things Snape would hone in on, knowing that there is now way in hell he'll ever have impeccable manners and feeling a sort of learned helplessness that this is apparently what Hermione values in a man.

[bore into her] This seems an odd phrase, since we're in Snape's POV at the time (or so I can gather, since he's eavesdropping.)

I was a bit frustrated at Harry here, but in a "this is a human way to behave" kind of way. Man, I hate people who say harsh things and then, before or after, tack on "I don't mean to be harsh, but..." Either mean to be harsh and own it, or think up something less harsh to say, people :p

Loved Snape's thoughts on what beauty is, intellectually speaking, and how that's totally different to finding someone attractive. And yes, thank God he's appreciating her for real attributes and real expression and character, not suddenly deciding she's physically the hottest thing he'd ever seen in his life (or worse, her suddenly getting some sort of makeover and BEING the hottest thing he'd ever seen in his life. Ugh.)

Oh, the bitterness in that last line is so strong I can practically taste it. Hopefully those two will get their act together (I have faith and confidence in you :p)
Edhla chapter 13 . 6/9/2014
So, regarding my double review :p For some reason my computer won't let me type in the review box anymore. All my reviews are written on notepad and then cut pasted, which it also refuses to do a lot of the time. Or, in some cases, does twice without me noticing or being able to delete the copy. Dammit :o Sorry!

I really love the way you phrased Snape's magic "bursting free from the curse bindings" - as if magic is itself a free and sentient agent, like a bird or something. I'm rambling, but I loved it.

I admit I was a little disappointed that much of this was summarised; Hermione's sitting her exams, enrolling in Oxford, Severus becoming a wizarding hermit, etc.

I'm just saying that you should really return to this story and flesh it out a lot more. It's already got a load of followers and such, so I'm sure I wouldn't be the only person thrilled :D Or, you could completely ignore my bossiness and backseat writing, too :p

That imagery of the walled garden... oh, my heart. Beautiful and meaningful at the same time.

I like that you point out how important Severus's magic is to him and how he would really struggle without it. The reflections on Lily, and how he sees more of her in Harry now that he's in a position to take a few steps back and see Harry more objectively (or even with a softer eye) is absolutely lovely, and the reciprocation of Harry helping him "untangle Lily" is similarly great. I get the impression that Snape has had burdens for many years that are suddenly becoming much lighter on him.

YEARS are going by? *Whimpers* I love Snape's reflections on her behaviour and his keen understanding of how much his character differs from hers.

I LOVE the commentary that Hermione is not a muggle; she's like a witch with a disability.

Lupin lost his legs? Better than his life, but jeez, you love to torture your characters even more than I do :p

LOL at Ginny not crying, rather throwing things.

[without meriting it] wow, the Daily Prophet is entirely staffed with arseholes. I mean, we knew that already, but holy crap.

[capacity to change] And I love you for this. The magical world may have bells and whistles on it that we don't have, but the characters are still human (except for the non-humans, but you know what I mean :p)

I continue to love your portrayal of Ron, our dear bull in the proverbial china shop ;) xx
Edhla chapter 12 . 6/8/2014

Hermione and Draco's discussion reminds me of a story I once read about William Blake. He was fond of his wife Catherine and his brother Robert, but they didn't get along, and rowed constantly. On one occasion Catherine stepped over the line, and William demanded she apologise to him. She muttered something like, "forgive me, Robert; I was in the wrong." He responded by roaring, "Young woman, you lie! I WAS IN THE WRONG!"

Okay, but seriously, there is something you do with my feels, and I don't even have the ability to explain why my feels are all messed up, but the bit with Draco raving on about muggle films smacked my feels around as much as Hermione trying to explain to Snape what a mobile phone is. Please keep writing like this. I lovehate you for it ;)

I think Hermione's right to be suspicious about this "tea" business. I mean, Narcissa might not have been planning outright assassination, but tea is a weapon, for real.

FEELS. DEAD OF FEELS.

Hermione does cry an awful lot in this fic (or so it seems to me) but I think so far you're good for bringing it out to hurt me ;) xHermione's unimpressed thoughts about Malfoy Manor made me lol, especially as this is a different 'verse to Flood.

FEELS. DEAD OF FEELS.

Edhla chapter 11 . 6/8/2014
It's terrible, but my first thought was that you really didn't bring your A-game to the whole disclaimer thing this time ;)

I laughed about the Fluxweed roots thing... just the sort of trivial nonsense that Hermione would grab hold of as a way of steadying the boat, so to speak.

AWWW. AWWW MY HEART. I'm so gratified that Snape was as affected as me about the whole crying on the doorstep thing.

Oh, for mercy's sake. In the words of the wonderful Geraldine Granger: "JUST KISS, YOU MORONS!"

Okay, maybe a little early for kissing, but anyway.

This basically sorta IS a sickfic, you know ;) Not just for the Sherlock fans! Snape's lingering all semi-battered still aside, I love the almost childlike reunion with her friends, and all the awkwardness between Harry and Snape. Ouch. You could cut that tension between them with a knife. I felt bad for Harry babbling on, wondering what the hell to say or how to say it, and I just wanted him to shut uuuuuuuuuup.

"For who he was" - bit maudlin for you? :)

Oooh, we know Ron is angry when he's swearing in front of his mother. (That's a good sign I'm angry, and I'm a good 14 years older than he is). Ron, you're being a git. Stop aforementioned being a git immediately.

I LOVE that he does, in an in-character way; by considering strategy. I'd almost forgotten, too, what a difficulty in purely practical terms Hermione and Snape not having their powers will be. Damn...

Aww, gorgeous ending :D
Edhla chapter 10 . 6/5/2014
I have computer net access back! *Throws confetti*!

HI :D

I admit I had a quick snigger about Ron's Muggle relative being someone they never talked about... and they really didn't. I don't know, the way it was phrased amused me greatly.

I LOVE that Hermione, with her busy mind, is prone to making random exclamations in the middle of washing dishes, and and and that she still calls Snape SIR after all this time. Oh, my heart. I'm trying to imagine Snape being "friendly enough" about anything, but I knew what you meant.

I love how much of Hermione's character you put into one word: abashed. She's not primarily just frustrated or disappointed that a prospect hadn't turned out; she's embarrassed that someone had seen her get excited about something that didn't turned out. What that says about Hermione's character? EPIC. FEELS. OVER. HERE.

I feel absolutely robbed that you didn't write out all the sickfic goodness of Snape collapsing on the stairs.

Seriously, this fic could be longer.

Seriously, you could write that part in, you know. I'm rapidly running out of your work and it's freaking me out!

[I had to into hiding] Missing a word?

I like the mention of the sort of fake smiling that is painful. I really like Prewett... he seems like such a friendly, easygoing fellow (though "chuckled jovially" was a bit of overkill... chuckles are usually jovial) His description of Hermione is pretty adorable, too. I think you should write a fic about him :p

What a glorious phone reunion! I love the fact that Harry and Ron were shoving each other out of the way to talk, but Hermione had to shove the phone AT Snape. "Mr. Snape" sounds even weirder than Severus. Oh, lovely chapter xx
Edhla chapter 9 . 5/22/2014
"One third through"? Fibber :p Though I wouldn't object if this had ten/twenty more chapters than it does.

Again, much love for the details you include - what they do during the "boring" parts (which are never boring, thanks to you), what they're doing about money, where they're staying, what concerns they have (even if this briefly invades Snape's head when we're generally in Hermione's.) Little details, like heavy boots being frightening and lookalikes cropping up, keep the tension up and seem realistic.

Oh yes, of course Snape would be a pain in the arse about medical attention, especially Muggle attention :p It's not only beneath him, I'm sure - he's pretty distinctive looking and may lead to more questions than either are prepared to answer.

The transition suddenly to "late June" seemed a bit abrupt, but Hermione's explanation as to how a mobile phone works was strangely, amazingly touching. And of course, with her kind of mind and magical background, psychology makes absolute, total sense.

"He will at this moment..." I was a little confused at this line; because you took a new line while Hermione was still talking, I at first thought it was Snape interrupting her.

"Take that, you bitch." Indeed!

Oh! Oh! Telling Snape that Harry is no more like James than he, Snape, is like his own father was a master stroke and really hit home. Bravo, to Hermione and to you for writing it!

And yes, of course, NEWTS and OWLS - GCSE's and A-levels? Of course, Hermione would want to go to Oxford. And be smart enough to make it.

Lovely and realistic details on why and how those two would become close. Oh, and Boots - another London memory! xx
Edhla chapter 8 . 5/22/2014
"Not mine, no money"- another winning disclaimer :D

I agree with Hermione. They're both stuck with no powers, which would be completely jaw-dropping to have to comprehend.

Snape's dithering around on various reasons why Hermione should leave is very interesting - it's like he's been totally neutered (excuse the expression) by the loss of his magical powers and isn't making much of an attempt to be authoritative in the ordinary way. His excuses sound a bit lame to me... Spinner's End isn't a fun place to hang out, vague "not safe" commentary, etc.

I did, however, love his refusing to beg.

I'm not surprised Snape's kitchen is neat and clean. Sure, his hair might be greasy, but he always gave me the impression of someone who is precise and organised, at least in some areas. Lovely characterisation of Hermione being the same, since she feels she has to "brave" what she expects to be chaos.

Love the very British "unmentionables", and the totally banal, sensible reason they appear :D

I felt that the imagery of "cuddle up" was a little premature to be mentioning here, even if Hermione is rejecting the idea of doing so; but that said, I doubt you've the time nor the energy to come back and rewrite, and it's hardly an unforgiveable sin anyway x