Reviews for The Ties That Bind
whirlwinds of watercolours chapter 1 . 10/26/2012
Poor Belvina. I think you addressed some of the issues in the pureblood society really well - purebloods marrying even though they had no affection whatsoever for the other. I enjoyed this very much, good job!
glowing neon chapter 1 . 10/25/2012
YOU GO GIRL. This is an awesome fic. I love how you've fleshed out Belvina, as we know nothing about her in canon aside from who she married. You've accurately portrayed how such a girl would feel, being forced into such a marriage. I found no spelling/grammar issues here, and the work flows nicely. Well done!
Exceeds Expectations chapter 1 . 10/25/2012
Wow, poor Belvina. I quite like dark/difficult issues or themes when it comes to the Blacks, so I really like this. You characterise Belvina wonderfully, as a scared, young girl, but you still show that she is strong in her own way (eg. wanting to protect her daughters). The plot is great as well! Good job :)
keep my issues drawn chapter 1 . 10/25/2012
wow, this was amazing! i loved your characterisation of belvina here and how she imagined how isla refused. you really built up a great storyline here and i was completely hooked from beginning to end. i really felt sorry for belvina and i absolutely loved the end - that she'd protect her daughters and not let anything happen to them. beautiful! :)
dragonflybeach chapter 1 . 10/24/2012
Poor Belvina! But at least she cared enough about her daughters to protect them. Difficult subject matter but well written
Martian Goddess chapter 1 . 10/24/2012
Not my type but very well written. You did a really good job.
a beautiful catastrophe chapter 1 . 10/23/2012
I adore this, you've written the Black family beliefs so well. I felt so sorry for Belvina - what happened to her was awful. I really like how you've written Isla as well. Everything was believable in this fic, lovely work!
ladyoftheknightley chapter 1 . 10/23/2012
This was utterly heartbreaking, in a completely wonderful way! I love how you took a few random people - effectively OCs - from the Black family tree and gave them this wonderful backstory which fits in so tragically with JKR's canon. I felt absolutely awful for poor Belvina throughout, though the ending did at least give me some hope that she found happiness in the end! Beautifully written, thanks for sharing :)
TamariChan chapter 1 . 10/23/2012
Heartbreaking. Your writing is lovely, though. I'm not sure how Belvina is, even though she's on the character list, but knowing she was a Black was enough.
the lola chapter 1 . 10/23/2012
I love love love reading fics about minor Black's, and this was no exception! The whole Black image is perfectly portrayed here and I love it. This was horrible, but greatly written, and I like the graduation of the story.
alarics chapter 1 . 10/23/2012
Wow, this is really good. I absolutely adore reading Black family fics, especially those about minor, less well known characters and I think that you have portrayed the horrible nature of the Black family extraordinarily well. I really like the passage at the beginning, where you talk of Isla running away from her family and I like the emotions Belvina goes through - from resenting Isla to wishing she had that courage to follow in her footsteps. I love the final line, it is very straight to the point and almost hopeful in a way. Excellent.
Forever Siriusly Sirius chapter 1 . 10/23/2012
Aww that was really sad! I like tnat Isla ran away although that meant Belvina had to suffer at that hands of that horirble burke guy,
I love that in the end she swore that she would protect her daughters,
:) awesome job.
Gamma Orionis chapter 1 . 10/20/2012
*Shudders* This was... horrifying in the most incredibly written way possible. I felt so terrible for Belvina (and she's usually a character who I have an intense dislike for). And Isla... while I want to applaud her for running away, I also can't help but hate her for leaving Belvina to this :(
yellow 14 chapter 1 . 10/20/2012
Really nasty in a good way. Keep updating
conquerors chapter 1 . 10/18/2012
I really love reading about the Black family, especially the members that not much is known about, and I thought you portrayed all of the characters well in this.

I've mentioned this before, but I found that some of the sentences could have been more elongated - there were some sentences composed of about five words and I felt you could have merged them into one or added to them. That's just a personal opinion on your style of writing though.

The emotions of Belvina were captured very well, and it felt realistic. Good job!