Reviews for The Day the Bell Tolled
SaraiEsq chapter 1 . 8/30/2014
Blimey, but this is a ruddy good tale. Well done.
Wonderland-fae chapter 1 . 1/28/2013
Made the mistake of reading this during my break at work...should come with a disclaimer Do NOT read if you can't be seen WEEPING! Very well written.
PolarLuv chapter 1 . 1/26/2013
;(
Diane chapter 1 . 11/2/2012
This made me cry. My favorite line was:

His head pounded furiously with each step he took, almost in tune with the pounding of his broken heart.

So powerful and sad. Thanks for sharing.
ER chapter 1 . 9/30/2012
Wow, I'm not sure who to cry for more. Kinch or Newkirk. This is even sadder than Out The Front Gates. If there's an award in the PBA for sadness, this will win hands down. Could I encourage you to do another chapter with Carter conscious and knows what happened? Guess I'm in the mood for a cry fest.
ME chapter 1 . 9/22/2012
Wow, this is the saddest story you've ever written. My heart broke for Kinch and Newkirk, I can't imagine the guilt he's feeling. I know this is marked complete, but I'd love to see your take on the aftermath.
ChopstickLegend chapter 1 . 9/19/2012
Oh my...This is an incredible story. I was nearly in tears reading this. Poor Kinch and Newkirk! That would have been a horrible thing to have to do. You wrote this really well and kept us guessing who was dead for quite a while too.

Well Done!
Guest chapter 1 . 9/17/2012
Oh no...this is one of the most depressing stories I've ever read!
snooky-9093 chapter 1 . 9/17/2012
So sad. And great work in the beginning...not exposing who had died.
jodm chapter 1 . 9/17/2012
So powerful and so sad. I really feel for Kinch - what a terrible burden to carry. I'm still wiping away a few tears.
Sgt. Hakeswill chapter 1 . 9/16/2012
How very sad. Poor Kinch - he probably relived that scene in nightmares for the rest of his life.
buggleston chapter 1 . 9/16/2012
Sad and very knew that this was the only way to save his friends and the tragic that Kinch had to face the choice of killing his friend and to it's his job of telling the rest of his friends including Carter .He'll be upset and blaming himself. Excellent story!
Abracadebra chapter 1 . 9/16/2012
There is some good storytelling here, but it needs proofreading. The tension was palpable (you could feel it)' not palatable (it tasted good?) You wrote "too" several times where you meant "to." I hate to see silly errors detract from a fast paced and intense story. I am looking forward to your next chapter.
ColHogan chapter 1 . 9/16/2012
I sent this review without signing on and it didn't post after nearly an hour so I'm doing it again. I apologize if you end up receiving two of them. So sad and tragic; sad for Kinch and tragic for Newkirk. To die the way he did was awful. I understand why Newkirk asked Kinch to shoot him because he wouldn't be able to talk. But I cringed when he asked Kinch to blow up his body. Yet I understood his reasons because Hochstetter would recognize him and come straight to Stalag 13. Even in his final minutes Newkirk was thinking only of Carter, Kinch, and the others and gave his life in the most heroic way one could. Poor LeBeau. He took it so hard when Kinch said there was no body to recover. Sadly, Kinch will live with what took place for the rest of his life even though I believe in the end, Kinch knew there was no other way to end Newkirk's current and future suffering, and save the others. And when Carter finds out Newkirk's dead, he will blame himself. I thought the ending was appropriate as Kinch tells only Hogan what really happened and that it will remain between them.