Reviews for When I'm Calling Lou
IcyWaters chapter 14 . 10/28/2012
Lovely ending. For a moment, I thought John would perish on the bridge. Sort of a way to balance the future if his ancestor had been killed before the next generation was born. Despite all his interfering, I'm glad he made it. I also like how Soc was prepared to die before letting him slip away.

Thank you for another wonderful Brisco adventure. :-)
IcyWaters chapter 13 . 10/28/2012
If John's ancestors were killed, what happens to him? Was his direct relative not on that train or did he/she somehow survive? I'm almost half-expecting him to vanish.

It brings about an interesting conundrum. With all of the modern references, and Louisa's playing modern music, are they altering the future? If she and Socrates have children, what is the risk of a descendant encountering a cousin or other distant relative of hers in the 21st Century?

All these facets of time travel fascinate me.
IcyWaters chapter 12 . 10/28/2012
The bit with John started to get on my nerves. I suppose I can't blame him for tying to woo the lady he feels a connection with, but Louisa's attitude of wishing Socrates was watching, feeling worse, irked me.

Let's just say I've never been called a romantic. I hate the games. :-)

But it seemed all worked out well in the end. They've both said those three little words.
IcyWaters chapter 11 . 10/28/2012
"In addition to his pistol and the shotgun he always strapped to his back, Bowler was loaded for a fight. He silently thanked God that in this era he had no access to automatic rifles or guns. He pictured Bowler with an AK47, and shook his head."

Reading that, I think Bowler would really like the 21st Century, hehe.

I like how the group handled the land situation, planning and scouting the location to avoid a firefight, but it feels like it went down too easy. It makes me nervous that there might still be some fireworks waiting to go off.

Is Rita still in jail?
IcyWaters chapter 10 . 10/28/2012
This chapter was very sweet and romantic. Seeing these two stumbling over their feelings for one another is cute, though I wanted to slap Louisa over the peppermints. :-)
IcyWaters chapter 9 . 10/28/2012
"Thank you kindly, Fred."

A bit of Benton Fraser snuck in there. I like it! It reminds me back when TNT used to air both series on weekend mornings. Sigh, the good old days. Even though I own them both on DVD, there's something special about eagerly waiting for the next episode to air.

Is Rita going quietly to San Francisco or is she going to interrupt the dance? What's Louisa going to think of this stalker?
IcyWaters chapter 8 . 10/28/2012
Woohoo, Rita! She sure is a lot of fun, even if she is crazy.

I was waiting for her to appear and throw a monkey wrench into Socrates' plans. With everything that happened in this chapter, I can't help but think it could be spun off into a story of its own. It's too bad Socrates is so honorable that he didn't let John woo her. :-)

But something tells me this isn't the last we've seen of Miss Avnet. She doesn't give up this easily...
IcyWaters chapter 7 . 10/27/2012
My opinion of Barry just shot up. I'm glad he's stepping aside so Socrates gets a shot at winning Louisa's heart without the competition. Poor old Soc isn't the type of man who's at his best when he's got to fight.

That's another interesting twist with the Sutton property. It's not like Bower to request backup; that one admission tells us a lot about the situation. I also didn't expect the family to just welcome Roscoe and Dexter into the house. What a hoot! What are they going to do when their two visitors return with a posse? :-)
IcyWaters chapter 6 . 10/27/2012
Interesting twist! I'm just curious if Barry has a hard copy of that article. It would be fun to see a court's reaction to that strange device. :-)

Now that we know Barry isn't a villain, I wonder if that will throw a wrench into Louis and Socrates' budding relationship. Sharing a common experience such as the future might make her drawn to Barry...
IcyWaters chapter 5 . 10/27/2012
Ooh, so Barry has ties to the future? This is getting more intriguing by the minute. I'm curious if he has a past, er, a future, he is trying to escape or make amends for. All these different time periods can get confusing. :-)

Eating pizza with a fork? No, no, no, that will not do! Where are these people from? Oh, California, that's right. They don't know how to do things properly there, hehe. *Ducks away from any Californians throwing objects my way.*
IcyWaters chapter 4 . 10/27/2012
My heart broke for Bowler as this chapter opened. It was painful to read about the decaying tintype and how marred the image of his beautiful Amelia became. Suddenly, Bowler's devotion to his house and owning nice things makes a lot of sense. He has never fully grieved her loss and is trying to create a home for his beloved - a home she deserved when they were younger.

I do hope he swallows his anger and goes to dinner.

Jacobs, er, Barry still has me on edge. I don't like his attraction to Louisa.

P.S. I forget to mention this in my last review. At one point, you mentioned someone named Clem. Did you mean to write Cal?
IcyWaters chapter 3 . 10/27/2012
Hmm, Barry and Jacobs... are they really two different men or did the scoundrel find a way to dupe the law and get rich at the same time? When he threatened Bowler with a lawsuit, it felt just like the modern age. It might have made Louisa feel at home. :-)

When Bowler burst into Socrates' office, thinking Brisco was cheating him out of his bounty, it felt strangely out of character. Learning why he's so steadfast in his pursuit of Jacobs certainly explains his actions! What a shocker!
IcyWaters chapter 2 . 10/27/2012
Louisa playing the music of the future reminds me of "Back to the Future" - "I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are going to love it," hehe. Plus, I got a big kick out of the Peanuts theme! Or at least that's what I imagined when she mentioned Linus and Lucy. :-)

The gentle and slow moving relationship blooming between Louisa and Socrates is lovely. It's nice to find an author who lets the characters move at their own pace instead of shoving the romance down the readers' throats. It's incredibly sweet to witness their feelings develop and how they cope with them.
IcyWaters chapter 1 . 10/27/2012
I didn't even realize you had posted this story until earlier this week. On the positive side, I have a lot of chapters to get caught up on without waiting for updates. :-)

This stranger who is eyeing Louisa makes me nervous. The part where he ponders "she was unfortunately quite young, but that never stopped him before" sounds ominous, yet the latter part of the paragraph seems to redeem him - "he endured many a close call sporting a rope necktie until he could prove who he really was."

So, is he a good guy or bad guy? Quite the little mystery!

I have only one quibble with this chapter. The paragraph that begins "He could have been mine" switches to the first person point of view. It threw me for a bit. Putting it in italics would be a wise choice.
southpawokpoet chapter 14 . 9/22/2012
Really fine, but horses don't eat sraw unless they are starving. No flavor no nutrition. hay grass. whatevr. don't mean to sound mean. dusty