Reviews for Those Who Stand For Nothing Fall For Anything
Guest chapter 18 . 1/21/2013
GAH. I really, really want the deets on L and B's torrid history. Fucked up obsessive friendships are the best friendships and to know all about it. L's backstory in this is generally flawless - in that it's totally screwy and horrible. I love it.

And oh, Light, you old sap. I want them to live happily ever after, even if they have to murder everyone else to achieve it. (Which I guess is what happened it 'Cure,' huh?)

Anyway, really excited for the next update, whenever it will be! :D
thebarstool chapter 14 . 1/20/2013
Fangirling continuing:
My reaction to the chapter title was this like awful unattractive gaffaw. I hope you're happy with yourself, lady.

Yes! Awkward Christmas party time! Light, what is your problem with navy? Is it really ill-fitting? Oh god, is it polyester? Nah, not even L would go there.

So I totally did not take-in the shout out to knives. I was all like, ooh yay I like knives and Lust, Caution. Neat! And then I hear his beautiful voice in my mind's ear: "Christ. I feel death is near. Did you say cognac or does that mean something else in Japanese?" the un-introduced friend of L asks me, in English. He looks slightly mad and windblown. Part of me wants to shout: 'Stranger danger!' and have him forcibly ejected.” AND I WAS LIKE HOLY SHIT NOWAI OH MYGOD THIS IS THE BEST CHRISTMAS EVER! I scrambled down to find yes! B has come to town like he killed the real santa and wore his skin for a little while! Because stranger danger will always equal B.

I will now quote copiously and yell at you in caps lock:
"You'll see. Stephen, find B. Don't let him play with his hypodermic again. Oh, B! “ I can totally see him stabbing people ahead of him in line for the bathroom with syringe full of tranquilizer. HEADCANON.

"Because I can't leave you alone, you gorgeous deviant," L tells him. What on earth is this?
"I fucking hate people," he informs us all. He then points at Stephen, whose eyes widen at the direct confrontation. "You! Why would you do this to me? We've only just met! You're jealous of me, aren't you? All jealousy has roots in the concept of sexual intimidation and betrayal, so -"At some point while reading this, I will admit, I started crying with happiness.

"Well, I did tell you. Malignant narcissism is a very difficult condition but it's pretty hot. I mean that they're like Scorpios, not that I believe in that shit, but blind egotism is... damn, it's so attractive. It's one of my favourites, actually” Hahaha. Dude Scorpios. I don;t really believe that shit. But I've met one recently and they are ATTRACTIVE. Until you run into the batshit part of them. Then it just gets scary and weird.

Spin in teacups at Disneyland Paris as therapy? I started singing “Have I told you lately that I love you.”

THE BANTER. IT'S SO MAGNIFICENT. And Light is so terrified that I just laughed and laughed. And this:”B's back arches with L behind him, like a cat being ineffectually fucked, and I'm very frightened, I admit. That cannot and will not show.” HAHAHAHA OH MY ORGANS

And L of course is having a field day with all the attention he's getting. It struck me as vaguely performative, his prancing around. He definitely was enjoying watching Light suffer. AND YES, REUNITED LOVE ACROSS THE AGES. BACK OFF STEPHEN.

And then came this part: “I am horrified by this, even more so when B lets out a high-pitched noise..I think it must be some kind of post-traumatic stress.” I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS BUT I LOVE IT. 1. HE HAS A MAN PURSE? 2. WTF 3. HOLY CHRIST I NEED TO RENT A CONDO IN YOUR HEAD.
Of course, B knows what L is doing and is mildly disapproving.

And everything B says I want to keep in a scrapbook.

Such an awesome insight into their relationship too, basically the only friendship L has that is genuine. B is obviously in love with L and while he can't have him romantically, will settle for the role of caretaker, which is fine for him because he sees it as more eternal and less ephemeral like all of L's clusterfuck relationships. B is definitely the one who is in power here. On some level he has L's best interests at heart, wants him to be happy and healthy. But then L's his only real friend too. He gets a kick out of taking L apart, constantly and cataloging the pieces. Everyone gets the intact, streamlined facade, lawyer L who will mess you up in a minute. B sees the fractured thing behind that and that's his. He owns it, so he thinks.

Sometimes I think that I might as well lock myself in a room, wear the same clothes day after day and hire some old man to feed me tea and cake.” HA!

THE BACKSTORY. Just brilliance. All of it. I keep thinking, would a relationship have worked out between them? Probably not. Probably would end in a murder suicide.

Friend/therapist relationships are always a bad idea. Outsource one, I always say. B and L are magnificent but crazy. Just know that I would have highlighted and pasted in their entire exchange if that were not insane and unnecessary.

The conversation on the alcove: sigh, they kill me, these two. Light you are growing up and you make me sad and happy at the same time. I have seriously never liked an incarnation of Light as much as I like this one. He's crazy but still human. Kudos. And L, you are a conflicted bastard. Buck up mate. And this sums it all up really: "I nod to B who's wearing his inquisition face, but there's a distance between him and L that he can't breach because I'm in the way, and I think he knows that now." Fantastic chapter.
thebarstool chapter 13 . 1/20/2013
Continuing obsessive reviewing binge:

Light actually trying to do something good? Pretty shocking. I'm glad it doesn't interfere with his douche-tastic similies: “It's easier to conveniently forget about our promises. We're like someone who married a girl just to get into her house, only to throw her out and move her best friend in and she can't do anything because of a cleverly worded prenup.”

Oh god, when he describes the moment he knew that he was totally head of heels: Romantic self had a seizure of happiness. Lovely scene. And the fact that he goes on to buy a fucking television system as a diversion tactic, perfect. Light, you so crazay.

L tears Light a new one: I'm a closet idealist so I have actual idea if Light's plan is stupidly impossible or not. It sounds crazy but I also know that L is probably butt hurt that he wasn't consulted. Also, yeah it's probably crazy. But L you're also a cynical bitch.

"Why won't you leave me alone?" Awww, that broke my heart. They should have probably stayed away from each other, yes, but bring on the lovely misery.

The illusory, borderline psychotic sex scene: also broke my heart. He's so done for, he is. That he finally knows (even if it's just his imagination) the sort of soul-killing one-sided sexual encounter is sad. Or at least, the pain of apparently unrequited love. “I think of all the times when he'd smile at me before one of us turned around, and I started to like it so much that I wanted to face him always. I wanted to see every nuance on his face like he said he wanted to see mine.” Dying. Dead.

I always wonder about the time line of their relationship. It's so messed up how they held each other at arms length constantly. They both probably knew somewhere deep inside how badly they were going fall for each other and tried to postpone it as much as possible. Or really they be crazy, yo.

“Lit up and laughing at something Stephen's said, or maybe laughing at me, plunged in and out of darkness and light. But I stare at him, even when I can't see him. And then he's kissing him like he means it. I don't understand.” Lovely-sad. As always.

“I realise that I've never felt lonely in my life. I didn't know what it was...In me is a core of shaking anger and sadness...The only other thing I feel is anger. I will never be ignored.” The writing in this chapter is top-notch. I mean it's always good, but you really rose to the occasion in describing this type of obsessive love in someone unused to feeling much of anything. He's always had a great capacity for feeling and has kept it at bay for a very long time because he's never allowed anyone to be worthy of it. Now he's been pried open and made vulnerable and he can't really understand or withstand much of it in a coherent way, just yet. And you capture that so well. I'm in awe.

“And... I hate myself. All I wanted was to be angry but reasonable, but instead my tone becomes increasingly pathetic with every word until it's just pure hurt and sweater disappointment.” Hahaha, sweater disappointment.

Good lord, L's having dinner with his mother? How did he agree to this? How was it going? Badly probably, he agreed to go with Light. And actually yes, because of the whole “geyser erupting” thing. A ticking time bomb of resentment and family drama. Stephen's accusation: “You changed as soon as you opened the door.” I have a hard time deciding, as you can probably tell, how L really feels. Stephen is all, make amends and be a better man but Light knew the old L and loves him for the shit he is. With Stephen, it's probably aspirational, he can maybe the better person he might have been capable of being had he not fallen into the dysfunctional-family-self-pity-vengeful-dick trap. But that probably comes with a whole display case of inferiority complexes and self-doubt and guilt. Deep down he believes, once a dick always a dick. Meanwhile, Light knows the darkness in him but loves him for it and that's pretty weird too. His terrible childish behavior is excused and he never evolves. Tricky.

Oh noes, Shag Pad Mark II. Light, you are so clueless. The mania, L's utter confusion and disbelief, the cheese! High tension stuff.

“"You can't switch things on and off like it didn't mean anything! You can't change, L. You're just like me."
"You're what I use to be. But I can change even if you can't." Ouch, the crux of it. L, I think, is capable of changing somewhat. The problem is that it's almost too drastic to go from a right bastard to a good guy in like a few months. A middle ground would be good but Light and Stephen are opposite poles at this point.

“I'd love to do it. Since I met him, part of me has wanted nothing more than to kill him. I'd love to watch his eyes glaze over and be open forever, staring at me wherever I go. Maybe keep him in a glass case. Send him off to Damien Hirst to plop him in some formaldehyde. He laughs at me, and I place my hand just under his jaw. I could snap his neck suddenly to one side and it would all be over. It's funny to simultaneously love and despise the one person with the same magnitude of feeling.” YES. AMAZING. And L's answer, dead on.

Savage beating time: Sad. Just frakking sad. That he lets him do it because on some level he feels he deserves it. Just man. And he's honest about he feels again and then totally ruins it by opening his fat mouth about Stephen so that L once again thinks that it's all about the competition and possession rather than genuine feeling.

This conversation killed me dead. Light is so desperate and bewildered and sad. I could quote the whole thing back to you but I won't. Yes, this is definitely rock bottom for Light and was necessary for some sort of growth. Or degeneration into a crazy loon. Either one. Painful but excellent execution. Well done you.
thebarstool chapter 12 . 1/20/2013
First of much unintelligent spam. Ok here goes. Let me start by saying that I still see Near as Colonel Sanders and therefore cannot take him seriously as a character. Not like I ever did to begin with. Don't give him any real role in the story because I'm just going to laugh.

Oh I wish I could be as snarky as L with a cold. Mostly I'm just melodramatic and act as if I should be hooked up to a respirator. Just this whole conversation is brilliant.

“It's a cruel blow not to be blessed with such an intuitive ability which would be so useful to me...This metrosexualism has made life so complicated for me.” HAHAHA.

And yes John Travolta. He's probably just a ken doll down there at this point.

Oh Light and Kiyomi. This line just says it all really: "But she's fixing it," I clarify for the good of my own peace of mind.” Whoever described them as incestuous twins was dead on.

“I'm exactly as I was when I was twenty one. I do not change, but he comes back different. I'm almost sad that he's not the same half-dead, bright-eyed, smiling thing that left me standing on the pavement months ago. Part of me has been standing there ever since.” Oh Light you stupid bastard. It's easy to be smug in hindsight, but when I first read this I was screaming at the screen like I do at all fictional people that are lacking in any sort of self-awareness.

And this: “I didn't realise that I was smiling. I hate it when someone points out that my face isn't doing its job. My face is my fort. I rely on it to never show what I'm thinking.” Brilliance. He's just the most entertaining narrator ever. I love him dearly.

Just the dialogue, you've got the chops, kid. Light attempting to interrogate Lawyer!L and L being totally over this shit. It's quite interesting all the little hints you drop about how this happy fairy tale life with Stephen is sort of a farce on L's part in that he appreciates Stephen, likes him, but is sort of unhappy anyway because he's screwed up. Light of course, underneath is desperately afraid that L is really totally over him and sort of floats around in denial just so that he can cope with it. He can't believe it. And of course, L is as good an actor as Light is, mostly. Or at least, he's a total liar and the best liars create the lie and sell it because on some level they create a compartment inside themselves that believes it. And Light keeps chipping away at L's bubble of self-control until the undercurrent of vengeance comes out. L is really angry and vengeful and wouldn't be able to forget Light's betrayal as much as the “new” him would want him to. He'd play the part of forgiving and understanding ex as much as it is necessary for his punishment plot. I mean he does understand that Light is an idiot, but he holds grudges too. And he's a wounded little child who can only deal with grievances by smashing and wailing. So as much as he probably tries to change, he'll probably still be motivated by the hurt, or whatever.

Major ha at the dig at In Search of Lost Time. I can't even read it in English. I worry for the country with Stephen as a CIA agent. He's way too trusting to be one. Why hasn't he been killed yet? And MAJOR HA at Light only buying books because they go with his décor because YES.

I feel sort of bad for Stephen, in a way. It seems like such a one-sided relationship. Stephen, you're worth it too, hon. Then again, we never actually see them alone together so who knows.

Ahhh, L's treatise on how HE'S worth it: best damn thing ever. You know how I feel about the chronic L-is-hideous-and-creepy syndrome in this fandom. I feel like this needed to be sent out into the world.

And the end of that conversation in the conference room: be still my heart! Moments of honesty between them make me happy-sad.

Dude that scene in the elevator: majorly hot. Excellent tension, banter, Light being a total crazy nympho, just everything that makes the world go round. Loved it.
ElizabellaLight chapter 18 . 1/20/2013
Awwww. All the fluff, yet at the same time horrifying foreshadowing. I love it! I have to separate this into two separate statements, and I don't know how you so successfully put ALL this into the same chapter without making it seem like an overload. You're amazing.

So, first, I'll go with the fluff, because I loved it and it made me want to hug something. The amount of love pouring out of this chapter is like...what's been hiding behind the curtain for both of them, but that they just haven't admitted. Or at least, admitted in a completely non crazy way. It kinda just...this chapter gives you the perspective that we didn't have before, when trying to kinda work out what was happening in their head when they would do something. Granted, some of it B gives i don't KNOW that it's true, but I trust it. He seems to be the bearer of bad news in an awful way...and i'm mixing my paragraphs! Fluff! Yes, I can't even believe that they're being so honest with each other, and talking about moving in together, and I just want them to be happy the way that they want to be happy.

And the sex! Oh my goodness, that was really very...graphic for you. Not in a bad way, because it kinda went amazingly well with the pace of the story. It's crazy that they were so lost in themselves, they're completely losing sense of reality in a lot of ways. And this ongoing exhibitionism thing is really very interesting. But like B pointed out, dunno if it's important, but it's always in a "we can see you, but they can't see us" and how Light and L are always getting off on being blatant and remaining under the radar. I dunno, seemed like a reoccurring thing.

Now, the bad shtuff. First off...Wedy, hmm...uh...I didn't even know that was still a thing! Stephen gives me a terrible feeling, and I almost feel like crazy Light may be right about it. But I can be really paranoid, so there's that too. It's just...I dunno, it always seemed weird to me that he seemed so oblivious and whatever, but he was in the CIA...soo...and he DOES have a temper. I was a bit confused as to why L ran into the car, but...well...that's okay. All the jealousy! It's coming in from all over the place, but that's delicious, it makes things more real. So..yeah. bad feeling bout Stephen.

And then there was B. Oh my goodness, you just write him so wonderfully. I have the biggest throbbing heart for him. And his eyes, goodness his eyes. I'm surprised that Light didn't comment more on them...but do they even have a significance in this story? I dunno, you have so many cards right now. I'm babbling so much. But the way he just tore one right through L, saying everything that THEY themselves have been saying to each other, but not really admitting. The whole death thing, and God thing, it's like...because B sees it to, and is just turning into an ugly thing rather than whatever weird fetish thing they were using it for before...I dunno, B's amazing, and he brings those two closer. I think, I dunno...i DON'T KNOW!

Okay, I think I'm gone now. Oh! One, no, two last things. In a few chapters ago, in the bathroom at L's, were those two practicing tantric sex?
And then also, I'm really intrigued by this hair cut on L, if you give me a description of him in this universe, I would LOVE to try and dish out some fanart.

Kay, tootleoo, have fun on your holiday!
Carla chapter 18 . 1/19/2013
I dont know much about tumbler but since i enjoy reading you notes I'll try to rember to check it out. I can't believe i fell for the there might be something wrong with the pregnancy. I also can't believe that I didn't see the sex in the alley was taped (I mean I do remember light saying no but goodness I'm slow)
I'm going to guess that the baby's sex will be male. (It can follow it Light's foot steps working in politics) No worries Light i'm sure your child will be smart. But I just loved hearing about the history of thigh sex with homosexuals in Greece and Light's past since it's rare. L's foot just couldn't help itself. Lol. The lovely moment between Light and L that gets knocked down by B. DAMN was that intense to hear (read) all about B's analysis of L and his plans. ( I do so hope that L is not trying to find a way to get himself killed and it is a ridiculous lie).
Eventhough a majority of what B discussed was right I felt it was both over the top and needed at the same time. Of course not in the same method it was done by B but yes it was needed.
At times I wanted Light to jump into verbal attack and save L instead of being frozen in shock and helplessness. I mean Light still unfortunately isn't fluent in English to have been able to comprehend what was being said the whole time. I was glad (hopefully Light really means it sincerely) to hear Light state he would not harm or kill him. It's got wondering just how long they can keep up their relationship with all that is going to happen. (Baby on the way and Light's stance with the murderer case / his term as Prime Minister)
I was confused about the whole "It's not forever" section unless I missed it. (I'll reread this chapter just to to make sure I didn't) Light thank goodness help to comfort L at the end of the ordeal. I'm hoping B won't hold it against L to never speak to him again. It is obvious that it is affecting L negatively he wants his best friend back. I'd like to thank you a million times for updating especially with the fact I start school in a couple of days. Take a well deserved hoilday may it be enjoyable instead of tedious.
youremyqueen chapter 17 . 1/18/2013
I just realized that I never reviewed this chapter (probably because I read it on my ipad and thus didn't copy down quotes and thus had nothing to say besides YOU ARE THE BEST AND ALSO MY FAVE.)

cue flailing off to the next chapter.
wordbombs chapter 8 . 1/17/2013
Ohhhh you and your words! Now I want to go buy some Tom Ford lipstick and smoke a Marlboro. Thanks for dissing them earlier, by the way. I stand by them as the best cigs in the cheap section of the shop. Light is a psychopath, and I can't wait for this to unravel. Undercurrents of plot aplenty. Such a slow build here, I'm excited.
wordbombs chapter 7 . 1/17/2013
I don't have words for this chapter. I'm glad I'm reading this in delay, I can't handle a cliff hanger. The prose in the last section was magic. Sticky, warm magic. You called Mihael Mello at one point, but who cares! Light and L and doing it and I really loved that sex scene. It was incredibly fluid prose. Okay. I have to go read more.
wordbombs chapter 6 . 1/17/2013
They're all a bag of cunts. Hate them all. Which is brilliant. Love it. I like that this story is very heavy in the beginning from an emotional stand point, but a little lighter on plot. Makes me think it's like cure and will get batshit soon. I can hope!
wordbombs chapter 5 . 1/17/2013
They're so damn dysfunctional, yeah? Miserable idiots.
wordbombs chapter 4 . 1/16/2013
Yikes! It's about to go down, huh? So much foreplay, I can't handle it. Laura, parties and confessions and Light being a good only to throw. It. Down. I am all of the excite.
wordbombs chapter 3 . 1/16/2013
Ahhhh. Love the lack of punctuation! I know I wrote something once that was punctuation less, but I don't remember what it was and I don't think it was ever 'my' thing, so you're golden. It was great. I think we talked on it a lot. This was a funny funny chapter. Lots more jokes and music lines. Omg muffin man took the helicopter sex?! How rude! K, off to 4...
wordbombs chapter 2 . 1/16/2013
YES! SEX! Doing it! Yes!

I like how Light is trying is trying to trick Light and puts on a little show, I'm kinda guessing its to do with the rash of deaths and secretly he's my little psychopath. I'm a little too excited for review properly, I want fo read more. Love it.
wordbombs chapter 1 . 1/16/2013
Oh god, how you draw me back in! I love it. Light is high, Mikami is an ass, L is about to be balls deep in Light! And Jeevas! So many lovely things, Light is as obsessed with art and clothes and wine and tobacco as Victor Ward and it is so good! You've gotten so good. Like, you were always amaze, but damn if this isn't a level up. If the next chapter doesn't start with a sex scene, I will never forgive. Okay, reading now.
231 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 .. Last Next »