Reviews for What's in a Memory?
Mageblood chapter 5 . 5/10
I love this story, it one of the best I have red in awhile. Please update this wonderful creation!
Komnenid chapter 5 . 5/4
this fic is so awesome You should continue with it
Nightime Necklace chapter 5 . 9/29/2013
Oooh, this is quite intriguing! I love it so far! However, I have a word of advice. Sometimes, some of the paragraphs seem very large. Maybe shortening some would help? I'm really sorry if you're offended by this I mean no offense! Okay, I'll go now. Bye!
coreelly chapter 5 . 9/29/2013
This story is amazingly interesting to read with all the mystery and development. It seriously deserve more review. I can't wait for the next chapter!
DeAmonQuEen chapter 5 . 6/6/2013
Thank God I was beginning to get worried about Lina doing this all own her own. I really am happy that Zel and Amelia arrived and I am expecting great things of this fic. I really love it and the plot thickens even more! you make me wonder who the real villain is... I just hope nothing happens to anyone, just kidding I do hope something happens and make things more complicated as they already are, I love this fic and how you make my mind wonder... the best adventure/mystery fic I have read!

Great job! can't wait for the next chapter..
Animejunkies'meow chapter 4 . 5/20/2013
Really great chapter! I'm loving the development of this story. One thing to note. I'm not sure how accurate you are aiming to be but I will point out that with the death of Hellmaster Phibrizzo, the spell Ragna Blade is no longer usable as it drew from his power. But anyhow, update soon I can't wait for more!
Dunce that me chapter 3 . 3/4/2013
I love this fic it was very entertaining and I am really hooked and I love how it was well written I hope you update faster cause i can't wait how things will unravel and what would happen between lina and goury... Good luck!
Zoro50 chapter 3 . 3/3/2013
So yeah...no beta reader. Moving on, since this is my first review let me compliment you on your ability to use proper paragraph formatting. It's always clear who is speaking and what's going on. This may seem small, but it makes it so much easier to read.
2ndly, you have given us a much more sensitive Lina than I am used to, but none of it seems contrived. Good work there.
Thirdly, I have totally been drawn in by the overall plot. Really looking forward to seeing where you take this story next.
Lastly...Kara is the true villain. Calling it now. :D
Keep up the good work.
Jack.of.the.Void chapter 2 . 2/25/2013
Ok! Bravo on MANY points! First and foremost, the piece is VERY intricately thought out! You didn't necessarily put something down that you didn't intend to be there (but it's also possible that you're just awesome at making it look that way! If so, it's a blast to read work with natural intuition behind it!) I appreciated how you spent time to building the introduction of Xellos. That ties in with my comment n the overall intentionality of the piece. First with casual discussion, then that lovely piece of foreshadowing done with Lina's dreams made a very natural and connected introduction fo Xellos as the chaos element we all know him to be instead of an afterthought because his character is cool.

You also have a very strong style of diction and story-telling in your work. You don't need five paragraphs to describe the setting, and then give the action afterwards (like Victorian literature. I suffer from that one a lot). You've provided a descriptive style that's very centered around the action of the scene. For example, we readers understand and visualize the Mage Cage as Lina contemplates it. In essense, we see it when and how she does and that provides a wonderfully first-person immersive experience. Instead of spoon-feeding the readers "The character thinks this," we can observe and conclude right alongside Lina, and I believe that was of unfolding the world and plot really anchors our undivided attention to the work. I had a lot of fun reading it because I could enjoy it side by side with the characters.

Another constructive thought: I appreciate that you've paid careful attention not only to the names & places in the series, but also to their reasons behind things. (Something as simple as Lina shrugging and excusing her eating habits with "Casting spells costs energy" in the first chapter, shows the fans we are in good hands and that you know what you're doing.) Since you treat the source material with due respect, that means that we -as fans- can trust where you decide to lead us.

And lastly on technique: The dialogue, reasoning, and interpersonal relationships are very true to the anime. None of it was out of character at all. That being said, when you establish so firmly your understanding of their personalities, it means we can follow you as you grow those same characters into new territory. I honestly NEVER would have come up with the idea of an enchanted Gourry to explain his blatant idiocy! (I have to admit... I'm a TEENSY bit jealous I didn't think of that. But as established, it's an exemplary concept, and I'm happy it's in skilled hands). It really allows for you to take the characters from where we left them in the series and believable stretch them into someplace new! I have no idea what a mentally acute Gourry would be, and I'm fascinated not just by the idea, but by how such a thing would affect Lina's perception of him! She adores him in so many ways, of course, but I'm excited to know if she could swallow her own pride to RESPECT him as his facilities return, and if a smarter Gourry would be able to still swallow being treated like she's so used to doing.

A good characterization is always one that allows you to break a character's established preconceptions about a person, thing, or relationship, and the growth is in their mourning, adjusting, to, and eventually redefining that conception. And what makes reading fun is when you can break MY preconcieved notions! Then we lean on the author to rebuild them and therefore we can grow with and experience the plot with the characters we become attached to.

I had so much fun with this story! I actually laughed and got invested in it. You gave me a curveball with Gourry's curse, and then made it comprehensive and sound. So much so, that I would honestly wonder if that really WAS why he was such an idiot in the show (outside of the obvious need for comic relief. Or maybe because the INT stat was never so important to the warrior classes as it is to the mage classes. Cyber high-five if you're that kind of nerd, too.)

Furthermore, as a closet hopeless romantic, I really look forward to see how a fully-restored Gourry would take to the oddball, denial-filled relationship he has with Lina. Would he recognize & address the issues therein? If so, how would Lina handle something like that, when HER Gourry's been so blindly-following and nonassertive. Or has his nonassertion in his affections due to the idea that he's been cursed to forget love, so when he wants to assert himself, his brain blanks and forces him to forget it. The Answer: It entirely depends on how his character grows and what you decide to address. You've shown a healthy understanding of the show and a very capable command of Authorial technique, so I for one am happy and excited to jump on the follower/favorite list and be along for the ride!
Keeper of Storms chapter 2 . 2/24/2013
Very nice. You've done a marvelous job, in my opinion, writing Lina as she adjusts to the realisation of the mind-screwery Gourry's been subjected to.

I sincerely look forward to more.
Animejunkies'meow chapter 2 . 2/12/2013
So wonderful! I love the mysterious dynamics you have set up! Why is Xellos there?! How bad is the royal family going to freak out by Lina's behavior? Sylphiel?! Did she know all along? And who enchanted Gourry? I can't wait for you to write more!
Animejunkies'meow chapter 1 . 1/6/2013
This is a very very good, well written story. I am absolutely loving it. Though I must mention, I just posted my first Slayers fic today and the plot is similar to yours. I just stumbled across your story a couple hours ago, and I have been working on mine for a couple years now, so I must let you that I did not steal any ideas from you in any way. Just in case you happen to stumble upon my story as well. Anyways, wonderful story!
TheGuineapig3 chapter 1 . 10/1/2012
Ah, I can't believe I've been putting off reviewing this story for so long! I'm really enjoying it so far- it seems to be building an interesting conflict, and I look so forward to seeing how it unfolds!
Most of all, I've enjoyed Lina in this story- so very Lina, it's just too much fun! Her contempt about Selvin and the way he was treating her was so funny; it felt so much like what Lina would do. I got a huge kick out of reading about her and Gourry's little escape. That was definitely a clever idea on the behalf of our favourite sorceress genius! XD
And, of course, we can't forget about Selvin- he's a fun character for sure! I'm excited to read more about him and the rest of Gourry's family that you've created. It's definitely a new take on his past, and seems very interesting. Keep up the great work, and hopefully update the story soon, if you can!
Gerao-A chapter 1 . 9/19/2012
Alandra: that is not exactly how Gourry's original story is...

Maliska: but who cares, this story seems very interresting and it is so rare now a days to read Lina and Gourry fics.

Sunny: I want to see what Lina do about Gourry's family. keep it up
Steven P. P chapter 1 . 9/18/2012
This is a truly enjoyable story with an intriguing premise, nice and often genuinely funny style and dialogue, and well-written characters. I had great fun reading it.
With this in mind, it is a true shame that the entire text is swarming with typos and distracting grammatical errors, to the point that some less determined readers might unfortunately give up on it before having the chance to see what it has to offer. Please do consider getting yourself a beta reader to check your text before publication; basically all the errors I've found could be effortlessly corrected that way, and then your story could really shine. :)