Reviews for The Heat of Healing
TheMuser chapter 1 . 2/4/2013
No, what hurts is watching when you fall.

That made me think of Reichenbach and took my breath away for several long seconds. Then the line about how Sherlock would just spring back up the next moment, as if by the pressing of some keyboard. Hell, when I first watched him fall, even I felt like that. For John it must have been just...

On a different note, what a unique idea! And one that is so absolutely realistic. I love love love pressing my bruises and eek, feel so tempted to press someone else's when they show me theirs. Ahah my sister hates me for it.

And the running nails over bandages are all things I've enjoyed before though unfortunately alone. To read them in this context was just... fun! Thanks for another bril fic!
quill.is.mightier chapter 1 . 12/7/2012
Mm. Hurts so good.
Witch Nova chapter 1 . 11/14/2012
Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Nova x
Rairakku1234 chapter 1 . 11/3/2012
'Always blood comes first, to clean the wound. Platelets, red blood cells, and fibrin come after, covering the wound in glass-brittle tissue. After that there may be gauze or plasters, casts or splints, the details depend on the depth of the damage. But there's one thing that always happens, no matter how small the wound or where it is on a man's body.'

How did you manage to make a description of wound healing sound so poetic?

'The first time John saw Sherlock hurt—it was half a year ago and he needed four stitches, just four in his lip—he did three things he'd never done before.

* Stayed so close to Sherlock in A&E that he was within a metre of the man for two solid hours.

* Smart-mouthed, bossed, and bullied the doctor who cared for Sherlock until Sherlock asked him to leave the room. (He didn't.)

* And as Sherlock received those few small stitches the good doctor clenched his jaw so hard he had a god damn toothache for hours after.'

hahahahahaha Fantastic. Love it. So very John.

'As soon as they'd returned from A&E Sherlock had undressed the injury so it could 'breathe.' They'd had words. John shouted. Sherlock shouted back. Mrs. Hudson knocked and they both shut up. Afterward they'd whisper-hissed invective at one another until the lanky one said, "Oh for god's sake," and 'compromised' with a single layer of gauze, grouching "Are you happy?" before hobbling to the bedroom.
John hadn't been, and he reiterated that now with his squinty gaze and vague harumphing sounds.'

Hahahahahaha. How very Sherlock and John. Great characterization. :)

"It was…the worst pain I've ever known. But I think part of it was the misery of feeling I failed. Of knowing I'd gone where I shouldn't have, did what I wasn't meant to do. And because of that maybe I'd never again do what I was made for." John stroked Sherlock's belly over and over. "There was no one there to distract me from that. And so the pain was just…pain."

I don't even have the words to explain how moving I found this. Great job. Lovely story,

Thanks again for sharing with us,
Rairakku
thisisforyou chapter 1 . 10/14/2012
Every now and then, when reading fanfic, one is struck by suddenly seeing their characters in a different way: seeing parts of them you've sort of chosen to forget in favour of other parts that work in contradictory ways. I can't possibly say why some pieces of writing get you like that, but for some reason this hit me all over again with the rougher masculinity of Sherlock. We tend to make him smoother, more childish, more beautiful, but for some reason this seemed so *natural*. Maybe it was something to do with the image of Sherlock with his trousers rolled up to the knee to expose the bandage. Maybe it's because you've somehow encapsulated the essence of 'wounded male' that transcends Sherlock as much as it portrays him.

I completely sympathise with the way he feels, too. There are some kinds of pain - like achey muscles after exercise or scrapes and bruises - that you can't help but poke and stretch to *make* them hurt as much as possible because they're a good hurt, somehow. I don't think I could capture that into words, so I'm in awe of you for succeeding so effortlessly.

And then that line. "...rising and falling, a sort of glissando of pain."
hifunctioning chapter 1 . 10/15/2012
This was so hot! Weird and beautiful, which is the best kind of beautiful. I completely get it and love how you described it.
sana-chan9 chapter 1 . 9/29/2012
oooooooooooooooooh shit i don't know why it took me so long to review this!
THIS WAS FANTASTIC.
ahhh
unf
seriously. my brain was like "HOOOOOOO SHIT LEMME READ THIS AGAIN. AND AGAIN. AND AGAIN."
so i did.
AGAIN.
:D
power0girl chapter 1 . 9/26/2012
Cool insights to both of them, definite fav!

Ta
Puggle chapter 1 . 9/25/2012
Stunning as always. Thank you for sharing.
WitchRavenFox chapter 1 . 9/25/2012
This was a beauty. I love complex sounding words, so all of those medical ones there... Yep, they worked on me, not as much as on them. Love reading what you put together so well.
EroseN chapter 1 . 9/22/2012
I love this story! It's fanatsic! You are an amazing writer! I'm going to go read it again! Great job!
ElectricBluDress chapter 1 . 9/19/2012
This is the first fanfic ever that has nearly made me both vomit and faint at the same time. And yet - I liked the story. How absurd is that? You're obviously very good at this.

"he can feel the spike of warmth in the skin of a man he touches every day, as often as he can, and often when he shouldn't." Pure poetry.
misskittymeow chapter 1 . 9/21/2012
You are perfection. That is all.
Lady Ginger chapter 1 . 9/19/2012
Didn't know I had a medical kink as well... Only a very small one though. Thanks, again!
Annie Amazing chapter 1 . 9/19/2012
This. Is. Perfection. Really, I love it.
I drown in the way you describe feelings in this piece. I especially liked the last bit with the pain compared to music - that was destructively wonderful.
Reading this was pure bliss to me.