Reviews for Like a Rolling Stone
7.06andcounting chapter 9 . 5/19/2014
I'm late to the party on this one - just read it all in one go.
Absolutely bloody brilliant! It's hard to believe you did that in nine chapters, it was a perfect unraveling of Randy's tightly wound life, without seeming rushed. The whole hippie culture was well presented without being cartoony and it made perfect sense that he slipped into that life as a result of needing to work out some answers about everything, that it was personal for him, not just a desire for free love and drugs.
I loved that you had the different personalities/opinions even within the shared house. The way that you introduced the relationship with Mick and how even Randy himself was hampered with the social disapproval of the times felt very real.
Perfect ending, I'm so happy that you gave him that.
Cricket-moon chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
I just wanted to say I LOVE the way you portray the hippie movement. Seriously, you make me wish I was there.
deviousprincess chapter 9 . 1/5/2013
Wait, what? This is the end?! D: I never wanted it to end. I mean, it was just such a great story. It had unexpected twists that I never would have guessed, believable characters, and such descriptive writing. I'm actually happy for Randy and the life he found for himself. Next someone'll make up a story to where Bob had lived and it'll be the exact opposite, lol.

I'm glad I got to look forward to your updates and I'll keep an eye out for more of your stories. :D
LavenderFlower chapter 9 . 1/5/2013
I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed your story. :) Not many people write about Randy and when they do, it usually isn't very good. This, however, was awesome! I loved the quotes from songs at the beginning of each chapter and the OCs were all very enjoyable and realistic.

Although I hate that Randy and Mick were shunned from the house, I do think that this was a very life-like portrayal of how things might have been for them in the 1960s/1970s, even in a hippie house.

Loved it and I'll be waiting for more stories :)

Thanks for writing something great!
Mars on Fire chapter 9 . 1/5/2013
Just a few corrections - Valance should have two a's (you've got an e in there) and there's a missing closing quotation after "killed us if we stayed."

I love the little mention of Harvey Milk and wonder how his assassination would have affected Randy. I can see him getting interested in city and state politics after that - sort of a merging of his past and present lives, where he gets involved in the structure of the law - maybe something he would've gone into had Bob lived etc. I can see him becoming a politico quite easily.

I think San Francisco is the perfect end for him. I think it suits his mentality. I always wondered if Ponyboy ever came across Randy later in life. I think the two of them would have really gotten along once they were both out from the shadow of Tulsa and able to live their own lives for awhile.

Great story - nice to see some thoughtful and well written Randy fic here.

PS: I just realized about Daisy's name lol.
Mars on Fire chapter 8 . 1/5/2013
I really like how you handled everyone else finding out. I'm sure a lot of readers would assume a hippie commune house would be the easiest and best place for Randy and Mick to come out - but no. I think that's a key thing about the movement - it was filled with normal people who might be okay with one thing and not another. In some ways, I see it being a reflection of society, only a bunch of years in the future. Some people are just not going to be okay with it, no matter what. Some are. Times are changing, but not as fast as people sometimes need them to.

I like that it was just simple - "I think you two should leave." Very hippie zen, and just as hurtful.
Mars on Fire chapter 7 . 11/19/2012
"Oh good. You saw her too," you reply. "For a minute there I thought I was still just stoned."

LOL - I imagine most sober people probably think that about Daisy as well. I really love her character lol.

I kind of like that you skipped over the "realization and something happens for the first time" moment. Somehow it makes it more difficult to jump right into the turmoil - it's like we're going from moment to moment with Randy and they're all difficult ones or ones that have a lot at stake for him.

I love that you have him and Mick both feeling uneasy about what they're doing, because despite the hippie love thing, it WAS a problem for most people - and I can see that having huge repercussions for gay people internally. How do you cope with yourself when society has told you that you're wrong and sick?

So even coming to a realization that it might be who you are is going to bring on a slew of other horrible feelings and thoughts. It's like the guy just can't catch a break lol. I'm interested to see how you go with this - do you know how long the story will be or are you writing as you go and don't know yet?
Mars on Fire chapter 6 . 11/19/2012
Ooh! I loved the M&M mention - I was wondering if Randy would be a part of that, because it was in my head when you talked about a direction (although now I'm seeing the direction you actually meant lol).

I like this direction, because I think it explains a lot more about his head space than just being upset over Bob's death. He's not only redefining himself after a traumatic event, but he's redefining himself as a person.

PS: I don't think you're moving the story too fast. It actually feels like a lot of great filmic vignettes of Randy's life - sort of fits in with how fast the times actually did change and everything that went on in the late '60s.
Mars on Fire chapter 5 . 11/19/2012
The whole section at the beginning with his family totally reminds me of Pony/Darry lol. It's like he's sort of in the same fog Pony was and he hasn't quite found the thing to snap him out of it yet.

Love the short scene with his bags packed - it's a really great example of "less is more" writing. That could have been a torturous long scene with arguments and passionate speeches, but it's way more effective as a couple of detached lines that show a lot more sadness and hopelessness than a big full blown argument could.

(And is it horrible that Randy's "long hair" in my head somehow turns into Darren D with a huge afro? Because I pictured that somehow and I can't unsee it lol)
Mars on Fire chapter 4 . 11/19/2012
Love the images you've created with Randy's Soc family and their soiree. I can totally see him there, not quite fitting in anymore, his mother hoping he'll back up her explanations to her friends about why he looks the way he does lol.

I have to wonder how good the hippie house really is for him - it's almost like he's traded his grieving over Bob for something else. He seems like he's happy in some ways, but not exactly. Like there's still something missing, and something not quite right with him. The pieces haven't clicked for him yet or something. Looking forward to seeing how this is going to go (I know you hinted at a direction on the boards).
Mars on Fire chapter 3 . 11/19/2012
My favourite line: "If you're going to hang out with them, you'll need new clothes." LOL the last vestiges of Randy's Sochood, he's thinking that his clothes are going to matter.

This chapter has a really otherwordly feel - it's like I can easily get into the funky headspace Randy is in - he's not suited to his old friends anymore, doesn't quite feel like his new friends yet ... sort of a weird in-between limbo he's living in, and it's coming off really well.
Mars on Fire chapter 2 . 11/19/2012
I noticed the use of the shift in tenses here - effective and subtle way to bring it to present after having him recollect things. (I find present tense insanely hard, but I suppose it lends itself a bit more naturally to second person?)

Is it bad that I kind of don't like Marcia? lol. She has that typical teenage time frame - eight months is like eight years to her. I often wondered after reading TWTTIN how Randy got to being this hippie guy and what his friends thought of it. It's interesting too since he graduates after Bob dies, so he only has to be around his friends and school for awhile before he's out on his own and can separate himself. I like seeing the transition.
Mars on Fire chapter 1 . 11/19/2012
Ah, the well written 2nd person. So few do it well )

The line that stood out to me most was "You can't stop wondering, as that hood stood over him with his knife, if he was scared of dying then."

That really hit me. I know in the book Pony describes how strangers would see Johnny as tough, but I have to imagine that they picked on him more because he was smaller (I don't see Bob and friends following, say, Dally and Two-Bit around if they'd picked up the girls) and he looked more like they could get one up on him.

So to imagine Bob suddenly faced with this kid he thought was easy pickin's standing there with a knife and stabbing him, it just hit me how freaking scared Bob probably was, and how utterly awful his last few minutes were. Getting stabbed the way he did, he wouldn't have died right away. Stomach wounds like I assume Bob ended up with (and I think it shows that's where he was hit in the movie) aren't a quick and easy death.

That just suddenly made me feel totally disgusted with Johnny for the first time. So here's Randy thinking about it - he was there after all - and it's just ... I can't even imagine what kind of horror that would have been. Especially for a guy like Randy who can clearly see that the greasers aren't these evil people or anything.
theuglyspirit chapter 7 . 11/19/2012
Not a curveball to me at all. I think you've done a good job of setting up Randy's ambivalence to everyone else. When he gets excited over someone finally, it makes sense.
I've been reading, but been a slacker about reviewing. Just wanted to lend my support.
I also think you're doing a good job with the hippie-speak without it being overbearing.
my oh mighty chapter 7 . 11/18/2012
Great chapter as always :)