Reviews for Upsetting the Applecart
ChaosKitsune chapter 8 . 12/9/2012
Xander with sword skills and magic, niiice. Always felt that he could do with a bit(read a LOT) more attention. I have a feeling that Buffy The Vampire slayer is all about gender reversal. So all he can amount to(If Josh Wheden were writing) is the distaff version of the bad*** chick. Doing pretty good only to be taken out at the worst time then held hostage. (****ing symbolism). The lancer however is not that bad. Not even the Worf effect is that bad. Okay maybe it is but Worf effect only works if the character is already tough. He might end up the hyper-competent sidekick instead of the almighty Janitor he looked like he was going to become. D*** you TV tropes. But lancer was Angel's position. Then Xander would need to leave and you would need a third series called Xander the Demon Hunter. I might use that. Since the main hero is always busy getting into messy love affairs, difficult decisions, a target on their back etc. They don't usually have time to be proactive and act instead of react. Except batman. But then again batman doesn't deal with those messes on a weekly or even monthly basis. Xander can look up common demons, do some low to mid level magic research, maybe learn some utilitarian spells. Is Ethan's spell a cantrip. Vampires are flammable. Especially those with excessive hair gel. One thing I never liked is the lack of armor. No one goes into open combat without armor. Key word being open combat. It's just not done, unless your under-prepared, suicidal, or a veteran. Motorcycle gear works until he can get military surplus. Even football gear works better than no gear. Do you know that there are 32 military bases in California? Or he could do without? Reliance on the armor might be a bad thing in surprise situations. But while that does happen He'll still be armed with magic and maybe a sword or knife. Maybe he can toughen his clothes with magic. Ohh. Enchanted gear. Bah. Speculation. Please continue writing.
katdemon1895 chapter 8 . 12/9/2012
absolutely brilliant, because if you know magic then you have to know the fireball trick, it's required of magic users, very amused that ethan mostly used it for lighting cigarettes prior to this, and fun that eris has brought xander within her and ethan's circle of influence with chinese food, which I now have a desire for chow mein and spring rolls and none of the local chinese restaurants are open til tomorrow so darn you, eris rocks and her and ethan's relationship is cute, I'm enjoying how eris has turned ethan's life upside down and how he's actually liking it, the life they're building together seems much more palatable than cold take out in a crappy motel at least, even with the attacking demons
great chapter, brilliant story, looking forward to when you next update!
Shenandoah76209 chapter 8 . 12/9/2012
Okay I just need to say how cool it is that I could recognize little bits and pieces from your messages.

I also love that the Chinese restaurants recognize Xander and know his order. And the depression brought on by career week? Oh so totally accurate. It's not like high school was all that great at evaluating apptitude, they told me to do something in communications because I was great at English Lit and Comp. If you're like Xander or Buffy, not easily slotted they don't have a clue as to what to do with you.

Though I can see WR&H showing up with a representative to see someone like Tucker.
iota0000 chapter 7 . 12/3/2012
Continuing to like it. Interested in how the changes so far (and those to come) will alter canon as the plot progresses.
iota0000 chapter 3 . 12/3/2012
This is a delightful fic about an oft one-and-done (times three) character. I rather enjoy it.
stexgirl2000 chapter 7 . 11/20/2012
Oh Giles, he is chained to duty in so many ways and that duty was transformed. That was one of the more interesting things about his character, imho. I like what you've had Jenny think about here, I always thought that Jenny's elders were stupid with their curse.
Trbl chapter 7 . 11/20/2012
Yay Jenny! I am so glad that you were able to show the strong and independent woman that she could have been.

You did such a lovely job of showing the thought processes and keeping it interesting.

Especially like this part: " (The idea of Ethan as anyone's plaything is fairly horrible. The idea of him in thrall to a self-proclaimed goddess of chaos is terrifying.)" Poor Giles, I'm sure he'll lose sleep over that idea.

This part too: "She had understood, then – the elders will be trying desperately to maintain a hold over the younger members of the clan, those like her, who have a foot in both worlds. They seek to draw them back in, afraid that their heritage will be lost. And the tighter they try to hold, to confine, the more the youth slip away from them. Like ashes through their fingers."

You put so much thought into these... Can't wait for more!
katdemon1895 chapter 7 . 11/20/2012
that the curse was already weakening was something I hadn't considered, and this was a nice introspection sort of chapter, I'm curious what sort of reprecussions Jenny disobeying the Elders will have
great job, looking forward to when you next update!
Shenandoah76209 chapter 7 . 11/20/2012
Oh man... This makes me feel even worse for Giles and Jenny too...geez talk about being paralyzed by the past. It's amazing they can even move at this point with all the guilt and subterfuge and people manipulating and outright lying to them.

I now have the urge to light the entire Kalderash clan on fire and dance around the flames. And the Watcher's council...lets see how they like some time as Fyarl demons. I'm sure Ethan could swing it, he might find Giles occasionally irritating but somehow I get the feeling no one is allowed to mess with Ripper but him. Families get like that, you might want to beat the he11 out of your brother but no body else had better try it.

And dang Giles almost messing it up again, thankfully Jenny is fairly perceptive and strong enough in her own right to call him on his $hit.

So glad you're feeling better enough to write some more! Wow... ignore the grammatical sacrilige that is that sentence. Nothing to see here, move along, these aren't the droids you're looking for.
Trbl chapter 6 . 10/27/2012
Haha poor Giles. One can only hope that he actually listens to her.

Ethan would get bored as a "pampered consort".
Trbl chapter 5 . 10/27/2012
I do so love Assertive!Giles, hope we see more of him. And yes please, can we get rid of those stupid yappy dogs?

Poor Dru. Spike might be even stupider than I thought, if he's going to be seeking those two out.
Trbl chapter 4 . 10/27/2012
You ROCK!

I just got to read these, can't wait to see what else you have in store :)

Teeheehee *chortles gleefully*
Darklooshkin chapter 4 . 10/24/2012
Brilliant! I have never laughed this hard at reading about Angel getting dusted before.
Matthew Blackheart chapter 6 . 10/23/2012
cool
Shenandoah76209 chapter 6 . 10/22/2012
oh I do love the idea of Xander being a badass in training... He really was the heart of the group, the one who reminded them that they were all still human.

And brilliant with the bit about living with recovered/relapsing alcoholics. It really is like living with an unexploded bomb. You never know when it's going to go off or if its a dud.

Poor Giles, one thing after another to deal with.
75 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »