Reviews for Upsetting the Applecart
Nival Vixen chapter 5 . 12/30/2012
Poor Giles. I hope he can get Buffy under control without her being all dopey over Angel. *eye roll*

Ethan taking care of Eris was sweet.

Eek. Spike and Dru should probably watch their backs!

Great chapter.
Zhor chapter 8 . 12/22/2012
Excellent! I like seeing a protaganist Ethan for once...he even got the girl!
Waspeater chapter 7 . 12/19/2012
DRAT AND DOUBLE DRAT

FFnet nerfed the link I tried to put in my ch8 review!

The first bit should have been:-

"And are the books gonna come alive and suck people into them?"

and then this link that illustrates that PERFECTLY - (slash) 130

I remain your most humble and frothing fanboy etc etc
Waspeater chapter 8 . 12/19/2012
"And are the books gonna come alive and suck people into them?" /130

In summary, my response continues to be ovewhelmingly SQUEEEEE!

Previous comments about the surfeit of supercharged XanderSues notwithstanding, I am thoroughly stoked by the prospect of a spell-slinging, sword-swinging, quip-flinging Chaos acolyte Xander (on the assumption he'll be kept to a sensible, non-gamebreaker power level). Under the (attenuated) influence of Ethan, I can see him as 'Peter Parker gets bitten by John Constantine instead of a spider'.
Considering Xander's canonical distaste for propecies, and fighting even though he doesn't have a 'destiny' to do so; in terms of his personal philosophy, Eris' motivations are a good fit.

Very glad to see that your Giles and Jenny are allowed to see that their secrets actually mean they have enough in common to be viable long term. Even if you use the old chestnut of 'she could sense his hidden depths', I never really believed in their public personas working as a couple.

I'll be watching with interest to see the ripple effects from Xander and Ethan's team-up meaning that Xander and Cordelia never get their 'basement moment'.
I've always been a fan of their Benedick and Beatrice style relationship, it could be even better delaying it until after Xander gets a self esteem upgrade and Cordelia can do some Scooby-good on her own merits rather than being his 'plus one'. There's still plenty of upcoming opportunity for them to get into a dangerous situation leading to some righteous mutual face sucking . . . . unless of course Eris is deliberately derailing them (boo hiss).

Ugh. Even my absurdly recursive parenthetical setences can't deal with this - I'll have to resort to bullet points.

(Deep breath)
Possible reasons for preventing Xander and Cordelia getting together:-

1) Shits and Giggles.
She's the Goddess of Chaos, she can do what she likes for no reason if she feels like it. True enough but somewhat unsatisfying storytelling.

2) It frees them up for other romantic entanglements.
With someone whose long-term love interest has just been dusted perhaps?, hmmm, hmmm (nudge nudge, wink wink)

3)To "Save" Cordelia
Surely this is redundant - With the removal of Angel, there can be no Connor so he can never knock Cordy up with the eldritch abomination known as Jasmine.
It could be argued she needs saving from the 'fluke' fallout rebar through the chest, but with Angelus not an issue and Spike not being wheelchair bound (so his and Dru's relationship will diverge from canon) I think ripple effect would remove that entire scenario.

(Aaaaaand relax)

Intrigued as to what is in store for Kendra, and consequently Faith.

MOAR PLEEZE
Trbl chapter 8 . 12/11/2012
Hahaha...Eris totally knows the way to Xander's heart!

Ethan and Xander...what a scary trouble-magnet duo.
stexgirl2000 chapter 8 . 12/10/2012
I love the way you've written Xander here. Eris and Ethan continue to be a hoot - I really like Ethan's musings about how his life has changed. Domestic bliss on the Hellmouth - it cracks me up.
Starway Man chapter 8 . 12/10/2012
This is a great story! And this chapter certainly lives up to the name (upsetting the you-know-what); namely, no Xander/Cordelia trapped in Buffy's basement, and no kissing thanks to the threat of Norman the Bug Man. If that isn't enough to throw Jasmine's plans out the window now that Angel is dust, I don't know what is!

(Of course, there is a downside that the odds are Cordelia will eventually commit suicide after losing all her money in about 18 months, if she remains the shallow, materialistic person she was prior to her relationship with Harris, but then I figure you'll come up with something to prevent that from happening. Or maybe not.)

So, I wonder what else will happen in this version of "What's My Line?" As you said, Dru cannot be restored to health like what happened on the show, which makes me think Spike will try something else. But what? I doubt he'll undergo the Trials like Angel did for Darla, diving into that empty swimming pool, even if that might be a remote possibility. How will Buffy cope with the other two assassins Spike has summoned, though? Maybe Kendra will help her with Patrice, and even the one-eyed guy (if that girl actually shows up, of course). Will Willow finally meet Oz? Will Xander give Giles a coronary, announcing he has become Ethan's student? I hope you update soon!
ChaosKitsune chapter 8 . 12/9/2012
Xander with sword skills and magic, niiice. Always felt that he could do with a bit(read a LOT) more attention. I have a feeling that Buffy The Vampire slayer is all about gender reversal. So all he can amount to(If Josh Wheden were writing) is the distaff version of the bad*** chick. Doing pretty good only to be taken out at the worst time then held hostage. (****ing symbolism). The lancer however is not that bad. Not even the Worf effect is that bad. Okay maybe it is but Worf effect only works if the character is already tough. He might end up the hyper-competent sidekick instead of the almighty Janitor he looked like he was going to become. D*** you TV tropes. But lancer was Angel's position. Then Xander would need to leave and you would need a third series called Xander the Demon Hunter. I might use that. Since the main hero is always busy getting into messy love affairs, difficult decisions, a target on their back etc. They don't usually have time to be proactive and act instead of react. Except batman. But then again batman doesn't deal with those messes on a weekly or even monthly basis. Xander can look up common demons, do some low to mid level magic research, maybe learn some utilitarian spells. Is Ethan's spell a cantrip. Vampires are flammable. Especially those with excessive hair gel. One thing I never liked is the lack of armor. No one goes into open combat without armor. Key word being open combat. It's just not done, unless your under-prepared, suicidal, or a veteran. Motorcycle gear works until he can get military surplus. Even football gear works better than no gear. Do you know that there are 32 military bases in California? Or he could do without? Reliance on the armor might be a bad thing in surprise situations. But while that does happen He'll still be armed with magic and maybe a sword or knife. Maybe he can toughen his clothes with magic. Ohh. Enchanted gear. Bah. Speculation. Please continue writing.
katdemon1895 chapter 8 . 12/9/2012
absolutely brilliant, because if you know magic then you have to know the fireball trick, it's required of magic users, very amused that ethan mostly used it for lighting cigarettes prior to this, and fun that eris has brought xander within her and ethan's circle of influence with chinese food, which I now have a desire for chow mein and spring rolls and none of the local chinese restaurants are open til tomorrow so darn you, eris rocks and her and ethan's relationship is cute, I'm enjoying how eris has turned ethan's life upside down and how he's actually liking it, the life they're building together seems much more palatable than cold take out in a crappy motel at least, even with the attacking demons
great chapter, brilliant story, looking forward to when you next update!
Shenandoah76209 chapter 8 . 12/9/2012
Okay I just need to say how cool it is that I could recognize little bits and pieces from your messages.

I also love that the Chinese restaurants recognize Xander and know his order. And the depression brought on by career week? Oh so totally accurate. It's not like high school was all that great at evaluating apptitude, they told me to do something in communications because I was great at English Lit and Comp. If you're like Xander or Buffy, not easily slotted they don't have a clue as to what to do with you.

Though I can see WR&H showing up with a representative to see someone like Tucker.
iota0000 chapter 7 . 12/3/2012
Continuing to like it. Interested in how the changes so far (and those to come) will alter canon as the plot progresses.
iota0000 chapter 3 . 12/3/2012
This is a delightful fic about an oft one-and-done (times three) character. I rather enjoy it.
stexgirl2000 chapter 7 . 11/20/2012
Oh Giles, he is chained to duty in so many ways and that duty was transformed. That was one of the more interesting things about his character, imho. I like what you've had Jenny think about here, I always thought that Jenny's elders were stupid with their curse.
Trbl chapter 7 . 11/20/2012
Yay Jenny! I am so glad that you were able to show the strong and independent woman that she could have been.

You did such a lovely job of showing the thought processes and keeping it interesting.

Especially like this part: " (The idea of Ethan as anyone's plaything is fairly horrible. The idea of him in thrall to a self-proclaimed goddess of chaos is terrifying.)" Poor Giles, I'm sure he'll lose sleep over that idea.

This part too: "She had understood, then – the elders will be trying desperately to maintain a hold over the younger members of the clan, those like her, who have a foot in both worlds. They seek to draw them back in, afraid that their heritage will be lost. And the tighter they try to hold, to confine, the more the youth slip away from them. Like ashes through their fingers."

You put so much thought into these... Can't wait for more!
katdemon1895 chapter 7 . 11/20/2012
that the curse was already weakening was something I hadn't considered, and this was a nice introspection sort of chapter, I'm curious what sort of reprecussions Jenny disobeying the Elders will have
great job, looking forward to when you next update!
82 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »