Reviews for Oedipus Rex
La Militaire chapter 10 . 6/3/2013
Fantastic histoire, ma petit. Je suis marveleous! I must say I rather do dislike most of L'Emblem d'Feu characters, and in fact Fire Emblem itself; theretofore I am enjoying this story and its lack of characters from L'Emblem d'Feu most graciously! Tres magnifique!
Dieuwtjin chapter 6 . 12/26/2012
Hello, and nice to meet you. I stumbled upon this story and its predecessor while looking for a quality fire emblem fanfic, and I believe that Kayleth's adventures are among the very top of those. Debt of honor is by far the most well done novelisation of fire emblem 7, and oedipus rex is entertaining fiction on itself. Originally I was planning on reading both stories to the end before dropping a review, but something in this chapter forced my hand early.

To get that out of the way first: While your thesis-like author's comment on societies like the Hamorian one you designed was very interesting to read for someone who does not have an academic study in such a field, it also included a note on the Dutch being intelligent despite liberal useage of alcohol and marihuana. If this was a joke, then it's a good one and you can ignore the coming 1.5 paragraphs. Now, I am a Dutch medicine student myself and while I'm while not particularly into the field of social sciences, this feels like extreme steriotyping bordering on a direct insult which I wouldn't expect from someone who seems very insightful and worldy otherwise.

Alcohol usage doesn't deviate significantly from other (west-)european countries in which there isn't a special tax on alcohol such as in Norway, and drug-usage isn't over the top either. I've only once met an educated student or individual whom used such a drug regularly, and that was because that person had an incurable illness which that person could suppress a bit from its use. Just because the use of soft drugs is semi-legalised means every educated individual uses it and would be cognitively impaired by it, as some foreigners seem to think O_o.

Anyway, I digress. Back on the topic on the stories:

On debt of honor, I liked Kayleth's overall character and the extrtemely ruthless way he went about his buisness. The level of realism is just high enough to make the story more exciting and darker without pushing it over the edge. I had a bit of a morbid fascination with Kayleth as that I did admired his strategies and extreme measures while completely hating his personality in non-combat situations. In this regard, you've pulled of your desired goal of making others fear instead of loving him very well. He's also as far away from a mary sue as you could probably get, with his self-pity and suicide attempts and all. The added level of detail/history also made reading through the entire game much less of a choire.

The one major point of critique I'd have for it is that the rest of the main cast lets him get away with far too much (crap), especially Eliwood (and his retinue). I can understand that you personally completely hate the character, that much is obvious (or you just wrote Kayleth's dislike along with his continuous on eliwoods in-combat uselessness so strongly that I'm having a hard time making the distinction). However, Eliwood gets his ideology handed to him chapter after chapter, is at one point almost directly killed by Kayleth and has his legs broken by him again near the ending of the story.

Logically, at some point I'd expect some sort of revenge action being taken either by Eliwood himself, or more likely by Marcus. At the very least there should be some sort of physical 'lesson' to remind him not to go too far. However, the only one to ever bring up the point of him overstepping his bounds is Hector, upon which his attention is quickly diverted and after which it is never mentioned again. Not only that, but Eliwood and his followers all even seem to 'forget' that these acts of extreme hostility occured or at the very least do not change the way they act towards the tactician at all. It just feels very unrealistic overall in an otherwise very realistic Elibe.

On Oedipus Rex, I can't really comment yet since I'm now only halfway through the story. Two things I did notice are that Alice seems extremely powerful as a combatant and that Zephiel's personality seems inconsistent. I was always under the impression that Kayleth followed Zephiel because he admired him, and the image of Zephiel as a more or less cunning leader in fire emblem 7 and in chapter 1 of the story seems to be upheld. When it comes to chapter 6 here, Zephiel seems very unaware of the workings of such an important duchy to his nation, which doesn't fit that image. Not only that, but every single line he gets is him jelling at the others for why they can't just rush in and crush them. I mean... what happened to the manipulative, supposedly enlightened leader who is supposed to be the second coming of Hartmut, according to Kayleth himself?

Anyway, I understand that you completed this story as well and are in the process of moving into fire emblem 6. I'll be looking forward to reading that story too and if you want or need suggestions for OC's like you asked for in this one, I'll be sure to submit one as well. Keep up the good work :)

-kind regards,
Dieuwtjin
Guest chapter 11 . 12/9/2012
Just read through the whole thing. It was amazing. Too many fanfictions have Superman-like characters who're perfect at everything, modest, righteous. This felt like a fresh breeze of the Dark Knight.
Zero1ariA chapter 11 . 12/9/2012
Again, I think the visible and significant flaws in your characters make your story more credible. Look forward to the sequel.

I thought conquering the world and the part about pre-Scouring alliance between humans and dragons were really interesting, if you can elaborate in omakes.
CodeCid chapter 11 . 12/9/2012
Bravo for the ending. I expected siege engines to start bombarding the room, but I guess that would've put too many lives at risk for FE6.

I still don't understand what kind of a twisted relationship Kayleth has with Murdock. The kissing part to piss off the Church was hilarious, though.
kminsang chapter 11 . 12/9/2012
I actually thought you were killing off Kayleth for a minute. I thought there was no way he was getting out of the crap hole he'd dug for himself this time, even if Zephiel jumped out of the coffin and stabbed the king. I didn't expect all the Praetorians in the room would be on his side. Alice and Lyn must've been furious. Surprised they didn't immediately jump to his rescue.

Pearl sounds like she's going to be an awesome character.
patattack chapter 11 . 12/9/2012
You know... if Kayleth were to stand before the three judges of Hades, I think that his actions would balance each other out and land him in the fields of Asphodel.
neogoki chapter 11 . 12/9/2012
and book ends, a bit stale, little comedy, but it could be standing in a history-book
Kojiro Kun chapter 11 . 12/9/2012
Bravo! a excellent ending and a interesting diabolical way for kayleth to enter a secure location and win the war.

Im rather glad that this came just before i have to re-enter my camp, so sorry for the short review and i cant wait for the sequel cheers!
Mzr90 chapter 11 . 12/9/2012
Pretty awesome end I vaguely remember how things went down with Zephiel and the king but the way you did it was cool.

Also I do like how the coronation went along with the hidden or indirect insults Kayleth shoved in the nobles faces so looking forward to the fallout.

I wonder how he'll handle the hallucinations in the future cause I just can't see him being sane or seem sane or whatever the hell he is by the war and the idea of Kayleth uniting the continent and taking over the world well I wonder if he'll think on that by the time the war starts.

I'm really looking forward how things will go with Alice and Kayleth and the possible sides they'll be on. Pearl I'm looking forward how things will go with her and I think by that time she'll be old enough for courting and stuff so wonder if Kayleth put up crazy challenges and wonder if you'll elaborate on Madelyn too.

Anyway can't wait for the sequel.
neogoki chapter 10 . 12/8/2012
good fight, good final, deaths of allies were lacking a bit in action

seven and ancient culture, you play Halo a lot don't you?

"New" continent huh? what if there are dragons or worse, peaceful humans?
patattack chapter 10 . 12/7/2012
The strategy used to take the capitol was interesting.

One thing, if Hamor is really so ridiculously powerful, how in the h*ll could Zephiel possibly stay alive in the events of Fe6, since he uses dragons?
Zero1ariA chapter 10 . 12/7/2012
Great chapter. Curious how you're going to limit casualties for FE6.

Yeah, the father was different from what I expected. Might be getting a bit convoluted, though. Following stereotypes every once in a while can be good for the soul :D
Guest chapter 1 . 12/7/2012
A non Mary Sue story in fire emblem? what madness is this?
Mzr90 chapter 10 . 12/7/2012
Yeah pretty cool chapter and yeah like how you showed the diffrences the Alice and Kayleth had over their parents death.

Yeah Kayleth's father has a strong sense of ideals reminds me of the Emiyas and I wonder how they could see Zephiel for what he his bad Kayleth could not?

Anyway I can wait till the finale and the fallout of what happens.