Reviews for The Joy of the Games
Radio Free Death chapter 2 . 4/4/2013
[There are very detailed carvings along the skirtings, mostly of animal, from small rabbits and songbirds to large bears and wolves. The detail amazes me.]

Hmmm, a bit conflicted here. Just prior he mentioned how he couldn't really stand being in the building because of the amount of children that had been in there previously and died. Now he's admiring the detail? Further on that, is the Justice building ever used for anything else other than to put tributes in? Is it like a courthouse or anything?

['Promise me,' she says, clamping her hands onto my own. My nod wasn't enough this time.
'Say it,' she tells me.
'I promise, I will do everything I can to come home,' I vow to her.]

I really, REALLY hope this becomes an actual conflict. This is a big deal. Could Joy kill children to go home, if Joy lives long enough to make that decision? She kinda realizes this when her parents show up, but I wish there would've been more realization earlier.

And she goes back to deciding to play the games. Well, that didn't take very long. I hope there are differences that make the story stand out from all the other ones with a very similar premise and characters who behave similarly.
Radio Free Death chapter 1 . 4/4/2013
So, much like how it's been pointed out, this is a pretty average reaping scene. It mirrors the first book almost exactly, with the main character waking up to discover it's reaping day, to some of the characters resembling stereotypes (like the 'brutal boy from Two'). There's not much that makes it stand out from the other stories of its kind.
Wren-and-Jay chapter 7 . 3/31/2013
Yes... perfect...
Gamemaker97 chapter 7 . 3/31/2013
Yet another very good chapter! As for training scores I'm guessing a six or a seven for Joy; average or slightly better, and similar for Cabe. I think the high-scorers will be Kayne and Lupus, probably the only two to score in double digits, with eights and nines for the other Careers; Misty, Caspian, Wonder and Shine.
I'm really looking forward to finding out training scores and also the interviews; you've got a very interesting bunch of tributes, and I'm keen to find out more about them.
Keep up the good work, I'll be eagerly anticipating the next chapter.
Kate-The-Great-And-Powerful chapter 7 . 3/31/2013
Awesome as always!
cherryzone1211 chapter 6 . 3/14/2013
Hey! I really like this so please update soon!. Very soon! Very very soon!
Or just when you feel like it. :)
Indubitably Flummoxed chapter 6 . 2/26/2013
Great! Kayne is perfectly jerkish (haha I'm not sure if that's even a word) but I suspect there is more to him than Joy realizes. If there's not, ah well, he's fine anyway! The only thing I can think of to suggest to you is showing Joseph's character a little more? He just kind of shows up every once in a while to give advice :)
Wren-and-Jay chapter 6 . 2/21/2013
Nyaaaaaaaaaaa I love it
Arvico chapter 6 . 2/19/2013
It was nice to see the different tributes in more detail. There were a few things I'd change, but they're mainly stylistic differences between the way you and I write, and that's perfectly okay. There were also a few more typos (writing "Hey" instead of "He"), but again, nothing that's not a quick fix. Remember to be consistent with numbering as well. It seems odd to me that some Districts' numbers are written out and others aren't. Some of the dialogue feels a little stilted and unnatural-remember, these are teenagers talking, not over-educated adults.

As far as Misty goes, I'm sure we'll see more of her in the arena. I'm honestly intrigued as to why the rest of the Careers don't want her, and I hope there's a solid reason behind it rather than something like being younger than the rest of the group.

Anyway, I enjoyed the longer chapter, and of course, the tribute names. Not only did they fit in with similar names, "Wonder" and "Shine" are every bit as eye-rolling as names like "Glimmer" and "Marvel". Looking forward to the next chapter.
Kate-The-Great-And-Powerful chapter 6 . 2/18/2013
Great job as always!
Vykktor chapter 6 . 2/17/2013
I figured that Kayne was going to do one of two things. One, he was going to suppress his talents, go the 'Thresh' route and avoid associating himself with anyone. Two, join up with the Careers. Guess who was right. This guy. **crickets**
...Shut up, crickets.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of Cabe, that's for sure. I hope that Misty eventually joins their alliance as well. Also, am I the only one who immediately thought of Pokemon's Misty?
Gamemaker97 chapter 6 . 2/17/2013
Well, this certainly was an interesting chapter. A good eye-opener for the rest of the field. Good to see inter-district alliances between non-Career districts, too. I'm betting on the District 4 female, Misty, becoming of use late in the games. She seems like a dark horse to me.
Overall, well done with this chapter. I'm loving the diversity in the tributes that you have created. Good job, and keep up the good work.
Indubitably Flummoxed chapter 5 . 2/15/2013
I sense trouble with Kayne and Crimson, (winces in pain) but I like this! Nice story.
Arvico chapter 5 . 2/13/2013
The biggest thing in this chapter is consistency. Numbers have their own rules for being written. Generally, you write out single-digits and use numerals for numbers greater than nine. You also need to use the number pattern in the same sentence, something like, "I have 10 weapons hidden in my coat and Sue has 2 in her coat" or "I have ten weapons hidden in my coat and Sue has two." Try to avoid any superfluous words as well. Starting a sentence with "So," might be already in dialogue, but it's often unnecessary in the narration, especially when it doesn't connect with the preceding sentence.

The phrase "Panem knows how long" sort of threw me off here. It might not have as much if Katniss used a similar phrase in the books.

Capitol fashion. Just...Capitol fashion. I love it, in all its ridiculous and colorful glory.
Arvico chapter 4 . 2/13/2013
I don't have a ton to say about this one, for a change. I certainly enjoyed your description of the Capitol people, in particular the man with the green spots. I really loved the line, " In this city of color and beauty, they want to see me." It's a great juxtaposition. I would have liked to see more of Joy's reactions to the Capitol. Try to keep in mind the rule of "show, don't tell" in mind. Show me how Joy is shocked through her actions and narrations, not just by having her tell the audience. It's a different spin on arriving at the Capitol, and shows that the Games have already started.
51 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »