Reviews for Salvation
Guest chapter 1 . 6/6/2014
It is very hard to write something when Sauron Gorthaur mentioned all these fantastic things in review. I can just write that I agree, that I love your Mairon, that I read in awe about your Morgoth, that I am always amazed by your choice of words that have so strong effect on reader... This one piece of ff is fabulous and fantastic and very touching and I wanted to weep at the end. What else to say? So much words and none of them can explain how gorgeous it is.
Bushwah chapter 1 . 5/9/2013
Lifeless golden eyes, staring from the darkness forever.
Sauron Gorthaur chapter 1 . 3/3/2013
Wow, this was a really powerful one-shot showing a scene that will shape who Sauron is for the rest of his life. Part of what I love about your writing is how you are able to do so much with so little. Your stories are sparse – they don’t have a lot of coating or extra words, but instead get directly to the point, starkly showing the emotions and conflict between characters. That’s what you have hear, a less than six hundred word scene crackling with the pure, raw hatred and fear of Sauron and the cruelty and brutality, both physical and mental, of Morgoth.

I know you are a strong believer in the idea of most of what Sauron’s does and who he is as a dark lord is a direct, twisted result of how Morgoth treated him. This one-shot really illustrates that idea of the strong “bonds laid on him by Morgoth” that Tolkien mentions in “Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age.” We know Morgoth is unimaginably brutal to his enemies (Maedhros and Hurin can vouch for that), but the idea that Morgoth was just as cruel to his own servants, even his greatest servant, is something people don’t think about as much, I believe. The way Morgoth treats Sauron here is creepy, terrifying, and cruel, and I can easily see how such treatment would permanently scar the Maia. It was extremely in character for Morgoth to be both mentally manipulative toward Sauron and physically harsh toward him, since in the books we see Morgoth being both. The way Morgoth taunts Sauron, shoves Sauron’s self-hatred in his face and mocks him for it, and then insinuates that Sauron’s chances of freedom and redemption are completely gone, in addition to the way he shoves him against the wall, really explains so much about why Sauron refuses to go back to the Valar. His twisted “gentleness” toward Sauron, in the way he strokes his cheek and calls him “my little wolf,” makes his brutality stand out even more.

And as always, you do a wonderful, sympathetic, heartbreaking job of portraying Sauron. His despair, terror, and hate are all well portrayed, and they do so much to explain why he does what he does later on. I particularly liked Sauron’s outburst toward Morgoth, when he finally reveals that the worst fate possible is spending an eternity in the Void with Morgoth; that statement right there is at the heart of Sauron’s decisions after this point, I think. His fear of returning to the Valar, and his attempt to build up as much power as he can in order to become invincible, can be explained by his terror of ever having to face Morgoth again. That last sentence was powerful and terrible; that image of the broken Maia slumped against the wall with his “lifeless” eyes is heart-rending.

On a slightly different note, I also liked how you showed the difference in Morgoth and Sauron in how they react to the war situation at the beginning, and I thought their reactions were very much in character. Sauron is practical, realizing when it’s over, and not too proud to flee if it will save him, while Morgoth just can’t submit to the idea that he’s lost and will go down fighting. I think that right there explains why Morgoth keeps getting caught by the Valar, while Sauron always manages to slip away in the book.

What can I say? I love your writing, your beautiful, if sad and tragic, portrayal of Sauron, and the terrible, elegant, manipulative cruelty of your Morgoth. Not surprisingly, I enjoyed this one-shot greatly, even if it made me want to cry. Great work, AzureSkye! Keep on writing!

-Sauron Gorthaur
bakaindisguise chapter 1 . 1/10/2013
Loved it. Can't help but pity Sauron :(
LadyAnnatar chapter 1 . 9/23/2012
Chilling. And well done too.
CrackinAndProudOfIt chapter 1 . 9/23/2012
I loved how vivid this was! I could hear not only the dialogue but the tones as well so clearly; I could see every one of Morgoth's movements. All of the elements clicked together perfectly, making the scene play out so effortlessly when reading it. This line especially popped out to me: '"I could punish you for that, you know," he said silkily.' That word "silkily" at the end added just the right emotion to the words.

I don't know how much sense I'm making, but I do mean that I really enjoyed this! It was such a powerful portrayal of the relationship between Morgoth and his lieutenant. Awesome work!
-Crackers :)
Fortune Zyne chapter 1 . 9/23/2012
Eeek! This was awesome!
Mirach chapter 1 . 9/21/2012
Ow... that must have hurt deeply. :(