Reviews for Dispossessed
Fortune Zyne chapter 1 . 6/21/2012
This was kind sad, but I don't think Celegorm and Aredhel were anything more than close friends...Tolkien I think went out of his way to make that clear.
Epilachna chapter 1 . 9/7/2006
I liked this one. Well written. Great Luthien characterization.
nonia chapter 1 . 8/1/2006
Interesting, but I disagree strongly wih you about married rapists. I think the passage you quote at the end of the fanfic refers to all rape victims (though I admit it only mentions married ones) and their death is a form of the well-known "death of grief", not a punishment for unfaithfulness. Rapists would not die (except maybe of guilt?). Sorry! Was Luthien chaind up in a dungeon? What about Huan sleeping outside her 'chamber'? In the 'Lay of Leithian' he also lies by her 'couch'. Sorry to be over-critical!
RavenLady chapter 1 . 1/26/2004
It's a Celegorm fic. They exist, and they're brilliant. A fascinating look at Celegorm, and as Mouse said, you haven't sugar-coated him at all.
I can't say I like him, but you've got me thinking.
MelanyeBaggins chapter 1 . 1/15/2004
Wow. Good read! I love how you explored the dark depths of Celegorm. And proud and noble. Very well written indeed!
Aerin9 chapter 1 . 2/8/2003
Pretty good! Very fitting sequel:)
Moonstone Tears chapter 1 . 9/10/2002
This is fantastic.

i too seem to pity Celegorm actually! Very well written... its very easy to connect with these characters.
jillian baade chapter 1 . 9/4/2002
Poor Celegorm! I feel quite cross with Aredhel, he really did love her so much. And she him whether she knew it or not. How sad that this unhappy love affair led to his capture and near rape of Luthien, and finally to him and his killing her descendants as he said. Good story, strong writing. And I agree with other reviewers who said that this makes more sense than the Silm version of events.
Maia1 chapter 1 . 8/9/2002
You actually make me feel sorry for Celegorm! I didn't think that was possible! You have a gift for writing tragic characters.
Vasiliki chapter 1 . 7/22/2002
Wonderful piece of writing. Very strong.

Very well defined characters. Many comments were perfectly on the mark (from characters' viewpoints). I enjoyed a lot reading it.

(I don't agree with the married rapist dying, though! ;) Can't agree always, I suppose!)
Woman of the Dunedain chapter 1 . 7/19/2002
Wonderful writing style, with your touch of mystery to the words.
Finch chapter 1 . 7/17/2002
This Celegorm is much more interesting than the one who falls in love with Luthien for her unsurpassed beauty (where have we heard such a thing before...)

He arouses both pity and fear: it's a harsh fate to be bonded with a woman who will never give you the children you long for, but who did bear a son to another man. But contemplating rape to get an heir... Luthien is very much like I imagined her: Calm, determined and undaunted.

Finally, Celegorms last remark obliges you to write about the Sack of Doriath from a Feanorian point of view
Soledad too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 7/17/2002
Cursed be the Laws of the Noldor, indeed! Aredhel and Celegorm managed to ruin their lives completely, even before FĂ«anor had unalshed the Oath into the world. It is never good to try to go *around* the Law - you either follow it or break it; in both cases you'll have to bear the consequences, but at least you know *what* you are doing.
Mouse chapter 1 . 7/17/2002
As captivating as "Guardian of the Walls" ... seeing things from the opposite end. Bound to a dead woman with no escape from his doom: to have no heir. You make me feel sorry for Celegorm without even sugar-coating or painting him in a pitiful light. A compelling character; but he better watch his mouth about Maeglin ~_

A well-written, disturbing tale.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 7/17/2002
I don't necessarily like Celegorm, but I do sympathize with him. Wow, he really, really wanted children, didn't he? And it becomes apparent that he wants children even more badly after the whole Rebellion takes place. He's thoroughly convinced that he's going to be condemned to the everlasting darkness. He might not be right about it, but he certainly believes it and lets that dictate his actions. Yeah, I agree that he wouldn't be as enraptured by beauty as others since Feanorians don't seem to be superficial with respect to physical appearance. He's going utterly mad after Aradhel's death, I tell you. And knowing that she had someone else's son certainly didn't help the situation. This story is disturbing but very evocative. I especially like the idea that an elf turned rapist wouldn't be able to live with himself. Oh how things might otherwise have gone... Great job with an unreliable narrator. It's not easy to do.