Reviews for The Riddle of Strider
marmota-b chapter 4 . 11/8
Oh, it ends here! Now I'll have to follow you. :P :D I really like your approach to Middle Earth. Being Czech, I suspect it has a little to do with your being Slovak, too. Many of the things you describe - like the wood of the pine tree having grown grey with the weather - are things I know. Not necessarily things I would have thought of describing myself, but things that make perfect sense when I see them described... It makes your Middle Earth very much my own.
marmota-b chapter 2 . 11/8
I like this chapter very much! I think I've read a somewhat similar version of their first (or first conscious) meeting before, and I like that approach, in an "approaching headcanon" way. I think this chapter has just become that headcanon!
I like the mutual loneliness that leads to finding a friend, Bilbo's confused old thoughts, his continuing abilities, his hobbit hospitality and his dwarven curses! "By Mahal's beard and Old Took's horse" is perfect.
SakuraFlutist chapter 4 . 3/10/2014
Beautifully written!
Jen Martin chapter 4 . 3/3/2014
I'm enjoying this very much! Please write more when you can.
lindahoyland chapter 4 . 2/27/2014
I love the poetic quality of this chapter. Thank Goodness, Aragorn is found!
nosmaeth chapter 4 . 2/23/2014
Ah, so stunning. Again, the characterisations, the symbolic meanings, the descriptions; all done splendidly. I am so glad you continued this!
Certh chapter 2 . 2/19/2014
Beautiful, quite heart-warming. Bilbo was being so very hobbit-y.

Just two tiny slip-ups that caught my eye: it should be 'the Dunadan' rather than just 'Dunadan', and there seems to be a space missing in 'smiledslightly'.
Certh chapter 1 . 2/19/2014
Simply wonderful! Your prose is lovely, and your portrayal of both Bilbo and Elrond felt so canonical. I must admit I loved the mentions concerning Bilbo's fear of losing his buttons, and rope, and Aragorn's talk of kingship.
lindahoyland chapter 3 . 1/15/2014
Oh dear, that bodes ill for poor Aragorn.
Lyonesse Aquila chapter 3 . 1/8/2014
Wow! I love this story so much and the part about the stuffed horse are totally cute!
Can't wait for more!;)
Jen Martin chapter 3 . 1/7/2014
Wonderful! Please keep writing. I'm looking forward to the next chapter
Canafinwe chapter 3 . 1/5/2014
Hee. Again, Bilbo comes across so perfectly here. "Lobelia Sackville-Baggins was a thief of his silver spoons. He was an honest burglar." And his bewilderment over the sumptuous gift of books... so adorable! Almost as adorable as his offer to show Aragorn the way to Rivendell. The sad, and no doubt wistful smile: no rest for our wanderer. Elrond's worry is so clearly drawn, and I love that he retreated to Aragorn's room because of it. Even more so, however, do I love that he rides out with Bilbo in search of his child. But the next verse is "Deep roots are not reached by the frost", and so I must wonder anxiously in what state they will find Aragorn on this chilly autumn night!

I look forward to the next installment. Wonderful writing!
Canafinwe chapter 2 . 1/5/2014
AHH! Thrum upon my heartstrings with that most poignant of tunes, why don't you? "'You were lonely...'" Oooh...

The battle was very skillfully written as well. I love that Bilbo was able to deport himself so well; Sting sings again! And the poor Dunadan, so weary after his long, hard run and still putting forth all his strength to fight. Thank goodness he happened to be tracking this particular band of orcs! Or was he watching Bilbo's road at the behest of a certain wizard? I love the last line, and the extending of true trust to open the doors to lasting friendship.
Canafinwe chapter 1 . 1/5/2014
Such a great start, and a great take on an early encounter between these two. I love to think they had one! Your Bilbo is so very charming, and I love your characterization of Estel. "Are you a dragon?" indeed! And Elrond. You know how I love your Elrond. "He is... the greatest treasure in this valley to us..." So beautiful, so perfect. I love how you tie this little adventure in to the line of the verse.
SakuraFlutist chapter 3 . 1/4/2014
I love the way you write!