Reviews for Silent Night
StellaAniFan chapter 21 . 9/16/2013
Wow. Just, wow. One chapter and I was hooked. I read this whole thing withing twenty-four hours, it was that captivating. You're amazing, really. This should be published or something, it's that good.
You did an amazing job of setting up the characters, developing them, and adding depth. The characters and story complemented each other so well, and that's harder to do than it sounds. I was about ready to cry during the last couple chapters, and I don't cry very often.
Again, amazing job. Keep up the great work, because it brings a bit of happiness (bittersweet as it may be) to everyone.
Guest chapter 21 . 4/20/2013
Oh my gosh this made me cry so much
TrickyTiara chapter 21 . 12/24/2012
MESSAGE TO OTHER PEOPLE: There would be spoilers in this review.

And now for the review:

When I started reading this story, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. After I finished, I spent a few days sleeping badly and singing songs about lost children and generally being very busy. And now, because I thought it would be nice for you to have a review near Christmas-time, I've dragged myself out to tell you everything I think and remember thinking of while reading your story.

I liked how the first few chapters had theatre-themed naming. Since Serge was involved in theatre, it made me feel as though he was the chessmaster who set the whole plot into motion. Still, I wondered why he had not considered the fact that his fake suicide might get Odette into trouble. Even if she had not been accused of murdering him, she would still have been left at the mercy of Vogel without the hope of having Serge at her side.

Poor, poor Odette. In the beginning, I wondered what the matter with her was. She seemed to be in a hopeless, cruel situation and I had no idea why. I thought of her as a bit of a Mary-Sue, and the timid-sounding squeaky voice I gave her didn't help, but that was my own fault. And then I thought that her memories of the man whose face she couldn't remember could have been Serge, which might have been why she killed him. Now I know her story and I am so sad. She had a hard life and now she's dead, so she and Serge have no chance of a future together. Just when Tintin seemed to be changing his mind too!

Now I'll berate Tintin for being so terrible at judging innocence and guilt. It never struck me that Tintin was law-abiding in particular. I always thought he would be willing to bend the law and I feel he must have broken some laws during his adventures, though I can't think of any right now. Even so, I don’t see how he could think of Vogel as innocent. And even if Vogel was in some strange way innocent, he did shoot Tintin and was trying to kill him, so his stabbing and death could simply be seen as self-defense. But still, I'm sad for Tintin too. He made a few mistakes with bad consequences. For example, the argument with Haddock. It seemed as though Tintin resented the Captain for being constantly drunk, which was a state I don't remember seeing him in at all during the story, but what happened to the Captain after that was rather disproportionate retribution for Tintin. And the whole situation leading up to Odette and Serge's suicide. What's most heartbreaking was that he could have stopped them if he had not been busy hesitating outside. So: Poor, poor Tintin as well.

It was interesting to see an insecure Tintin. I don't think I've ever read one before, especially one who feels uncomfortable about his build and hair colour. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with being short, slight, or red-headed. But then again, I don't think many in the Tintin fandom do.

I was wondering what Hazar was thinking, insisting on insulting the Captain. Maybe he didn't know Tintin would be so protective or maybe he didn't know about his famous punching skills, but I thought it strange that he would challenge Tintin by asking what the Captain would do to him because I'm pretty sure that the Captain is big and angry enough to mess him up pretty badly even while drunk if he felt inclined to do so. And why did Hazar want to insult the Captain anyway?

There are some other things I'm still a bit confused about, like why did all the guests have the same tattoo? I thought Vogel gave it to them, but what for, and why did he have one himself? Was the man outside with the car and punctured tyres at the beginning Vogt, or Serge? Why did the real General Freeh have stage makeup on? I was thinking that Serge put it on him to disguise him, but wouldn't it have been removed during the autopsy and so wouldn't Tintin realise that the dead man looked like the man walking around Moulinsart Hall and calling himself General Freeh? Serge must have been a real master of his art, to not only conceal his real face but also to imitate the looks, voice and mannerisms of somebody else who I don’t think he knows very well with such accuracy that at least two people who should have known Freeh quite well would not have realised that he was an imposter.

I think I've asked enough questions. I’ll now tell of my experience, reading this story.

Something I think you should know, because it was likely to have had a great influence on how I felt about the story: I read the whole thing out loud, with the voices and everything. Even though most of the characters were male and I'm terrible at all accents except my own and I don’t know how to read German or Latin or Dutch and I wasn't sure how to pronounce most of the names.

I liked reading the scene in which Vogt was gambling for his life. The atmosphere was so saturated with oppressive suspense and fear, I could almost feel Vogt suffocating from it. And the person forcing him to gamble was so, so cold, it was almost not a person.

On another subject, I found the conversation between Tintin and the Captain about Odette's clothes very funny. Ah, such an awkward situation for the Captain who can't bring himself to ask the obvious question, with Tintin who is too oblivious to see his point. It was so amusing. I felt it was almost like something I would write, and that may be one of the reasons why I liked it so much.

One of the other parts which I found funny was when Tintin got his languages mixed up. I could relate a bit. I know up to a rather pathetic level some languages besides English and every time someone suddenly speaks to me in one of them, it's like the language-controlling part of my brain has one of those old switchboard systems for telephone lines and that the operator at the switchboard is like the one at Marlinspike, and so my brain would immediately think up an answer before it realises that it's using the wrong language.

The French peppered throughout the story sometimes looked awkward to me, but unfortunately I don't know enough to correct much of it. I loved sounding angry in French. I had no idea what a “fluage couché” was, but it sounded injurious. Then I put it into Google Translate and saw what you might have been trying to say. I think something like “Espèce de malotru mentant” or simply “Misérable” instead of “Vous fluage couché” would be more what you were looking for, but I can't guarantee that it wouldn't sound odd as well. There were also a few sentences in English that were difficult to read or needed paraphrasing to make sense, but the overall story was fine.

I knew you wrote angst, but I read through most of the story without encountering anything I remember to be particularly depressing or have the potential to give me nightmares, although there were very many exciting, scary, dramatic, sad, and touching parts (in Chapter Sixteen, especially. One of my favourite sentences was the last one in Chapter Sixteen). Until I reached Chapter Nineteen.

Doom, doom, DOOM!

Oh why, oh why, Chapter Nineteen!

The first part with Serge's explanation on why he wanted to kill Vogel was already enough to disturb my sleep for a few nights. It burned into my brain and I couldn't stop thinking about it during the most inconvenient moments. Then I still thought there was a hope of a happy-ish ending. And I hoped even more when Odette and Serge seemed to come to an agreement which I knew no details of, though I thought it was strange that Serge quoted Romeo and Juliet because that legendary relationship ended up in suicide. At the second line of Romeo and Juliet, I realised that that was exactly what was going to happen and I think my lungs forgot for a moment how to take in air. During that chapter, I couldn't tell whose voice it was that sounded as if he or she were crying: mine or the characters’. And so now I have to congratulate you on your diabolical angst-writing skills. Right now, diabolical is the highest compliment I can think of regarding angst. I hope you don't mind.

This is one fanfic that focuses on original characters as much as or perhaps even more than the canon characters which I don’t mind in the least, and it’s all because of the twisted plot and mystery and complicated motives, characters, and points of view. It will haunt me for years, I'm pretty sure. And now I think I've said all I wanted to say and I hope this review is does something helpful for you somehow even though you've already finished the story.
Sholay chapter 6 . 11/22/2012
Hey!

First of all, I just want to say that I'm enjoying the story and already tryin to guess 'whodunit' :) I agree that Belgium is definitely cute and the Americanization of Tintin took a lot of the fun nuances out of the original French.

Now, there is just this one thing I HAD to mention. It's one of those things... And I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned in a review. I didn't check just in case someone mentioned who the killer was (and I'd find it it was Odette or something, lol). Anyway! Back to point: there is a phrase you had Tintin use in this chapter 'Je suis fini'. Ok, so, it's... Well it's not an uncommon error, heh. 'Je suis fini' in French translates to 'I am dead' in English. If you want to say 'I'm done' or 'I'm finished' you have to think of it as 'I have finished'. So the correct phrase would be 'J'ai fini'. :)

Anyway, yeah, sorry to pick. It's just one of those things that require commenting on (like 'Je suis plein')

Cheers!
Daniella the muggle chapter 7 . 11/18/2012
Really looking good. I'll read the rest and let you know what I think!
I'm the same way: I feed on reviews!

Oh, btw, something I wanted to mention in the other chapter. When Tintin and Haddock were walking outside, and suddenly Haddock "hit" Tintin. I was like "WHAT? He punched him? WHY?" I read it over again, and I realised he BUMPED into him. To bump into someone and to hit someone are different. You might want to re-phrase that. Just to avoid first confusion.
Daniella the muggle chapter 5 . 11/18/2012
Sorry I didn't continue reading this. Busy and all that.
I heard about the amazing comments about your fanfic, and I really wanted to read the rest!

Well, it looks really interesting so far, and I like Tintin's comment that he hates it when people consider Haddock a tagalong. That's really interesting.

Gonna continue reading!
Pink-Pencil-Girl303 chapter 21 . 11/17/2012
Oh, hi there... I guess I was so upset at the time I forgot to write my last review for this story. Here I am now! It's not too late, right? Okay good. Because I have some things to say.
The Tintin fandom has been waiting for a writer like you. I think I speak for most of us (yeah, like all 50 :P) when I say that. It's not to say there aren't some phenomenal writers here already, but Tintin is a BAMF and deserves more love and effort than he is often given with fanfic writing. You have poured your soul into this story. I love it. You have such a talent for storytelling - it shines through your thunderbolts-and-lightning descriptions, dialogue, and the restless, heart wrenching pace of the narrative.
As for characters - GNAAAAAAAAAAH. I was really mad at you for chapter 20. All I need to say on that subject.
Tintin is a really difficult character to write (I think, anyway) because he's so flat. He's a blank slate, really, and that can be intimidating for a lot of writers. You gave him angst like pencilling in shadows on a plain, straightfoward drawing - darker and darker it gets, more complex, more interesting.
I should wrap this up now (oh hi 1 am, didn't see you there), so let me just say thank you. Thank you for this amazing story. You've got a gift, girl. Keep writing Tintin, because he's a beautiful character with many stories to tell, and deserves as beautiful a writer as you. :)
I'll be staying tuned. If 'Resurrection' is anything like this, I've got my tea and "biscuits" (lol) at my elbow. I'm in until the credits roll.
Captain Jellybean chapter 21 . 11/14/2012
Whoa.

This. Was. Incredible.

This chapter is a fantastic ending to a fantastic story. I was totally drawn into your story: into the incredibly described storm, the heart-pounding chases through the dark hallways of Marlinspike, Tintin watching Serge reunite with Odette, the revelations, the heart breaking final scenes... man...why is this story not more popular?

READ IT, PEOPLE!
los.kav chapter 21 . 11/14/2012
Ok, so as you've probably guessed, I got the day to sit down and reread from chapter one, and finish the book. And as you already know, I love locked-door mysteries and this one has all the classic elements of being a cracking locked-door mystery. And it was. It was fucking phenomenal, excuse my language (ás gaeilge! Tá sé fucking phenomenal! lol! See what I mean about translations? *cheeky grin*). This is, by far, my favorite full-length Tintin fic on . This story needs to get more love than it's receiving. It's a shame the sycophantic Mary-Sue fics get all the attention (but that's to be expected, considering the movie). To me, a life-long Tintin fan who knows the books and characters inside and out, this fic is perfect.

Your characterizations of the classic Tintin characters were believable. Haddock could possibly have kicked off a bit more, but considering for the second half of the story he wasn't really an active 'player' it doesn't really matter. I just love reading Haddock in a rage. ;) Tintin's internal thoughts were logical, and it was nice to see him wrestle with his conscience over turning the murderer in (I don't want to spoil it, but it was nice to see that my original guess was partly correct, even if you did manage to fool the hell out of me: nice slight of hand by the way. Very twisty and turny!) Your original characters were well thought out and when the revelation finally came everything tied together perfectly and every single thing was explained. Very well mapped-out story indeed. And I love how you write Snowy: he's believable as a dog. He's actually very like how I write him, but without the slightly insane internal dog-dialogue. His love of bacon was a nice touch, and his running around attacking people's trousers in a fit of excitement was lovely! :)

Your research was well done, you got everything (as far as I can see) historically correct (I doubt you'll be surprised to know that there's Tintin fics based in the 40s/50s that reference new-fangled jibber-jabber *sarcastic face* which really puts the story off), which is a nice touch. The tone of the story was pitch-perfect the whole way through, from the claustrophobia of the manor to the beautiful prophetic fallacy of the storm in the outside scenes.

One thing I did say to you during a PM was about the translations: there's a lot of foreign language in this story that non-polyglots like myself can't understand, and I have a feeling that since that PM you cut back on the foreign language. Don't! Don't do that! It was more authentic WITH the various languages. Just adding the translations at the end of the chapter would help the reader while also keeping the authenticity of the time/country the story is set in. Belgium is in central Europe and it's absolutely believable that there would be a lot of people speaking/exclaiming in their native tongues, and there's an awful lot of people in Belgium (especially considering the time period: there would have been a lot of moving around Europe after the war) speaking various different languages.

There's probably more praise that I can heap on you, but I think I'm about to take up a lot of space with this review as it is. ;)

To anyone that clicked into the review section to see if this story is any good: it is. It's an excellent fic. Go and fetch a cup of tea and a few biscuits (or cookies, if you're across the pond) and do yourself a favour and read this story.
los.kav chapter 19 . 11/14/2012
Clever Hmuff...
los.kav chapter 18 . 11/14/2012
:o
los.kav chapter 17 . 11/14/2012
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, home girl, this chapter is goooooooood. Some amazing descriptions here, and the imagery is glorious. Great use of prophetic fallacy with the storm too. And I was totally wrong about Serge too. I figured it would be that she had found out he was a Nazi war criminal, and that's why she had killed him. But what a great twist!
los.kav chapter 15 . 11/14/2012
:D
los.kav chapter 14 . 11/14/2012
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. Ok. So now I know it's definitely not Odette. It's between Freeh and Vogel. Oh, and btw, wonderful description of Hazar's body. I'm trying to keep the proper review for the end, but in case I forget, that's a brilliant bit of writing.

Ok, well, considering the two characters, Freeh and Vogel, out of the two of them I'd put my money on Vogel, because he's a lawyer. Ha! Only kidding. Vogel because of his character: I think out of he and Freeh, he'd be the one who would have less scruples about murder. But I could be basing that on the fact that he's such a horrible person and I'm being biased. Freeh, I think, can actually be sympathized with (from a reader's point of view) while Vogel has always been more... harsh. Harder. So my money's on him now.

On to the next chapter!
Jade-Spade chapter 21 . 11/13/2012
This story was...beautiful. Depressing, yes, but I love stories like that. Hopefully Tintin will move on. And "Silent Night" will never be the same again. Ever.