Reviews for Strange Visitors From Another Century
Marriages that young were in fact not at all common or even considered acceptable and it's one of the more commonplace misunderstandings people have about the early medieval era. In fact, during some periods of ancient Roman history, you weren't even considered an adult (never mind eligible for marriage) until you were 24 years old. On average, people married much at the same ages we do: late teens to early twenties.

Honestly, considering you've made such a big deal of talking up how you're aiming for "historical accuracy," I've been pretty disappointed by what I've seen so far in that regard.
You know, chapters like this remind me why I utterly LOATHE closed time loop plots. It take the tension and sense of excitement out of anything that happens because you already know the characters can't or *must* fail, because that's what has already happened. It removes any sense of real agency from the characters, because they're just acting out a pre-determined script, they're not really making a difference at all.
You're kind of misapplying the whole "everyone was drinking alcohol" thing. What everyone of all ages was drinking was called "small beer," a beer-like drink of minimal alcoholic content, maybe 0.5% or so. The reason they were drinking it instead of water was mostly that the production process for making beer (of any kind) involves *boiling the water*, which sterilizes it and makes it potable.

They generally weren't drinking even ale (regular beer) until later in the evening, if that, and certainly not mead, which can be as strong as 10% alcohol by volume. It's also made of rare and expensive honey, not exactly something you'd just give to the kids all day long even if you could afford to.
LostUmbrella chapter 25 . 6/16
Nice story, a very interesting and innovative take on an overused expedient like time travel.
Characters are well rounded, and apart from some minor typos there's no glaring problem.
Now, let me say that since Ravenclaw's vision about the two groups of four and three, I suspected someone would leave with Harry & co. but I sincerely doubt it will be Salazar in the end, especially when there's Helena on the scene.
Don't tell me if I guessed right, I want to find out with all the other readers ;)

Keep up the good work, you're awesome!
nessiesmith2012 chapter 1 . 6/16
So i feel they gave in to easy. Harry at least had rational thought that this could be a set up. Not to mention little resistance and quick to blush ( a lot) in embaressment. This from someone who is constantly speaking his mind. But other than that good start so far.
Mysteryfan17 chapter 25 . 6/14
TRAPTRAPTRAAAAAP!
And while I hate being right... it still gets my heart pounding. I had been wondering for awhile if Edward would go Draco and try to 'eliminate the competition' in some way, even before he complained to A DARK WIZARD about him. Now torn between who spilled the beans/is actually behind this. Salazar is about to go... umm... I don't believe there is a word that really describes it. Your chapter title made me think of The Doctor in Doctor Who, aka the Oncoming Storm, so I guess Salazar is about to go 'The Doctor' on the attackers. And Ron and Hermione will not be far behind. 5/5 and hope you did well on your finals.
Mysteryfan17 chapter 24 . 6/14
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES! Had to stop and say YESSSSSSSSSSSS, Harry is still a Parselmouth, OH THAT MAKES HIM FAMILY AND OOOH, I BET SALAZAR WILL BE EVEN MORE... AAAAAAAAAH!, OK, GOTTA KEEP READING BUT AAAAAAAAAAH! YES!
Yeah, "Hey, cousin Tom, you know our Head of Family, Uncle Sal, isn't happy you repeatedly try to kill me?"
Oh, yeah, that does make the choice but, still, he saved their lives and they can still fight together, Harry... he needs a LOVING BLOOD FAMILY, and best part, it's his mother's blood, NO MORE DURSLEYS! Blood protection without the negative part, ooooh, and he can go visit them and his, great*X niece Petunia, oooh, "Don't mess with my nephew"
Ah, yeah, well, maybe hm, found this: You may be familiar with the adjective avuncular, which is now used to mean ‘kind and friendly towards a younger or less experienced person’. Did you know, though, that its earlier sense was ‘of, belonging to, or resembling an uncle’? The Latin avunculus denotes one’s mother’s brother, being a diminutive of avus, grandfather; the same root ultimately gives the modern day uncle. It avoids the 'Uncle' bit either way. Anyway, goosebumps, 5/5 NEEEXT!
Mysteryfan17 chapter 10 . 6/13
Rereading and thinking, Harry could have been about 8 when he 'Apparated' onto the roof. It wasn't life threatening like Salazar but being beat up by a group of bullies would be a kick-start. My guess is Harry was more on the accidental with some luck as he wasn't thinking about using magic intentionally while Salazar was injured and not focused but still tried with... intent? Close enough. Yeah, just curious if that might affect it.
Rose chapter 25 . 6/11
Hey! So first, I just wanted to say that I've been coming back to back to this story to read it for a few years ago - I've really been enjoying it! I love your characterisation and the relationships the trio have developed with the founders.
Also though, I have a question that's been on my mind for a little while now. Why did Gryffindor have to use fiendfyre to destroy the horcrux? I mean, with Issa right there and all? Since basilisk venom is one of the few things that can truly destroy a horcrux? It just seems like it would have been a safer and easier solution?
And lastly, I've read the Belgariad and the Malloreon too! Most people never seem to have heard of it, so when I first read Issa's and Zith's names, I was very excited to realize where you had gotten them from!
Ohlivia.smith chapter 25 . 6/10
Please please please please update this is amazing :)
Electron97 chapter 25 . 6/6
A cliff hanger of course. Well guess I'll just have to wait for an update!
Emporer Bloodfire chapter 19 . 6/6
so what's he gonna do with the Holly wand when he kills Voldemort with it. seems pretty hipicritical
klamisid chapter 1 . 6/4
ahhhh at chapter 3 I’m fully invested in this story! Right now I’m looking forward to Harry revealing he is a parselmouth. And if Salazar is the one who broke off from the group of four in ravenclaw’s dream to join the trio to the future. Excited to read on!
Grounded Storyteller chapter 24 . 6/3
I wonder a few things though. The baron Harry dueled is, of course, the Bloody Baron. The same Baron who killed the Grey Lady ghost, Helena Ravenclaw. Likewise I wonder the fate of the Diadem of Ravenclaw and it's properties. Currently the best incarnation of the Diadem of Ravenclaw I've ever seen is in the fanfic, Vindico Atrum.

Interested in seeing what happens when Harry, Ron, and Hermione get back to their time period and realize how all of this fits together.
Grounded Storyteller chapter 25 . 6/3
This is an excellent story. Fab character development and the world just feels so nice. Keep it going. Hope to see a lot more development in the characters (both magically and as individuals).

Legitimately created this account just so I could follow this. And I've read hundreds of fan fics!
2,360 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »