Reviews for The Man on the Chessboard
Bwayaya chapter 1 . 4/20/2013
sad, but brilliant, Poor Seto!
Ale chapter 1 . 10/24/2012
That was really sad and kind of poignant. I liked it a lot :)
Die Einzelganger chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
I have just read this and I have to say that I find Isono's lot here just heart-breaking. Seto felt distant, unreachable, which I imagine was your intention and was very-well done, but Isono was painfully immediate, all too human and just full of uncertain, aching flesh and thought and I really identified with him. His inability to be there, to fix anything, just left a very deep impression on me. I felt bad for Seto, too - how could I not -, but Isono just felt all the worse as I donned his perspective and was flooded with his sense of dwindling self-worth and helplessness.

As always, I really love your style, literary and darkly gilded, and I love your metaphors. I love the beautiful sadness that comes with fiction like this. It really is lovely work. Take care and never stop.
MMF chapter 1 . 9/23/2012
"He fixed what he could and he coped with what he couldn't." - From this moment on, my appreciation for this story and your writing in it only grew. You've really taken what can be a tough subject matter to tackle and used a character that I rarely if ever see written to the depth that you've brought here. It was a wonderful read. Very good job on this.

"He wanted to say that he had lost the game, but he hadn't. He had never even been a player." - Wonderful lines to end on.

Keep up the fantastic work!

Jess (My Misguided Fairytale)
Guest chapter 1 . 9/23/2012
Your writing style is truly poetic and masterful. This insight into such a minor character is very interesting and was executed flawlessly. While the tragedy of child abuse is never an easy thing to pen down, I think you did it real justice, especially in combination with the other themes of the story.