Reviews for Adaptation
Random Ruth chapter 1 . 6/13/2014
Ugh, at the second drabble my heart shatters. It's such a powerful drabble. These are not suitable bedtime stories, they keep making me sad. The image of Dean eating raw meat is also a shocker. Very well done. Have an penguin stamp.
sylia91 chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
Loved this fic especially the weechester portion. It is unfortunate that Dean finally has someone who notices and cares for him but misunderstand somewhat the circumstances and forces the Winchesters to run. Having Mr Bergh continue to be able to watch and reinforce that someone notices Dean's good points would have gone a long way to improving his later self esteem. I really liked the conversation where the 2 of them were talking about completely different circumstances regarding Sam and Dean's future hopes for him. Dean already then was sacrificing himself to the hunt to spare Sam the same destiny.
Dizzo chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
Hey Paul

Two real gems here.

I love the first one - I can imagine that Dean might be reduced to eating raw meat to survive in purgatory - needs must as they say. Although, come to think of it, he's such a carnivore, I could imagine him doing it under perfectly normal circumstances too.

And the second one - you actually made me cry here - do you know that? Shame on you. Such a believable scenario. I try so hard not to dislike John, to try to understand his thought processes and sympathise with them, and you really haven't helpled here!

Great work, as always!
MeAzrael chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
Wow, row emotions here.
Really liked the first one, just hinting on the various ways Dean has changed during his time in Purgatory - and how he doesn't even notices is. So the last line was sort of a punch in the guts - triggering some questions that he most likely wouldn't answer.

The second story tore at my heart. And it's perfectly written - with the outsider's POV that I love in stories, because we can add some layers to what other people may see, and that makes it all the sadder (in this case). Another Henry (ahh - those memories ;-), obviously a really good teacher, who cares about his kids and is able to look behind the facade, even if it's Dean Winchester. And then their ambiguous conversation about Sam - that was grand! And it hurt. You gave Dean that air of resignation - and though I don't see him like that in his teenage years, it fit perfectly.

I bow my head. Obviously it pays off to write instead of sleeping the night away :-)

xx Kate

"Things okay at home, son?" he asked, as the boy turned to face him.
"Everything's fine, thank you... sir," Dean said." I took this as a hint on how much Dean hates to be called 'son' by anyone other than his dad... beautiful insight.
DeansBabyBird chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
Uggh! That's 'rare' taken to extremes!

Liked the longer story. Liked that the teacher cared and you caught Dean's guarded vulnerability well.

Bev x
Amberdreams chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
I was thinking yesterday about Dean in purgatory and what he would eat...sounds like you've come to a similar conclusion to me...I'm sure building a fire would have drawn unwanted attentions. Nicely chilling drabble!

I wonder how many teachers noticed either Dean's potential or the evidence of his hunting? You've got to hope there were one or two good ones who would have cared, eh? It's good to read about at least one of them, even if it caused problems for the Winchesters. I loved all the nuances in their conversation.
Woman of Letters chapter 1 . 9/23/2012
I love both drabbles, especially the second because I really think you have Dean's issues with schools pegged so well here. And of course the teacher would misunderstand.

These lines are so sad -
A moment of raw emotion flared in Dean's eyes, a light of hope that seemed to fade before it even started.

"I have a life, Teach. It's all mapped out. Just forget about me."

The same thing that other teacher told Sam in the After School Special, and only Sam was bold enough to try for a life outside of hunting.

Great drabble. Thanks!