Reviews for The Mysterious Affair of the Purloined Suspenders
Guest chapter 1 . 8/30/2016
While going through serious withdrawal, awaiting the next series of the BBC's, "Sherlock", (not until 2017), I happily came across, " The Mysterious Affair Of The Purloined Suspenders". By the title, alone, figured this would be a romp. And knew it would not disappoint. Besides, if Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's beloved sleuth could survive the transition of an updated version of himself - via the Telly, why couldn't he do well, as a step back in time, for a western whodunnit with the folks at Lancer.
"The game is on".
Have to admit, this may just top, "Bah!Humbug", for me.
( and that is saying a lot.) But this rather backhanded salute to Sir Arthur's characters (including Mary), and use of narrative, was impeccable.
And to have one eccentric sleuth, be reincarnated as another eccentric sleuth, Val Crawford, was most original.
Do not wish to spoil the case or cause for future readers.
But after partaking of this tongue in cheek game with these western counter partners - one will never view the traditional, Mr. Holmes and Dr. Watson, without a flash back, to this mischievous tribute.
August 30, 2016.
Pacifica Grove chapter 1 . 10/15/2012
Hi SD,

I wanted to place my review here in a more public forum in order to persuade folks into reading this wonderful story.

Fresh and original. One of the most original stories I’ve read in Lancer fanfiction. I was smiling from the first paragraph.

The narrator’s hero-worship of Val was exquisitely done and so funny; only he was astute enough to detect the sheriff's hidden superior intellect and investigative skill as Val went about his everyday routine and actions.

I've never asked my husband to read any Lancer stories, but I'm seriously thinking of sitting him down to watch "Man Without a Gun" and then have him read your story. I'm always telling him how impressed I am with the quality of some of the fanfic and this would be a great example for me to use to show him just that.

It was witty and superb. I loved it.