Reviews for Let Down
Ica44 chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
I totally agree with you - I can see both their points, too. I think Mary is totally justified in feeling angry (I'd be furious if my husband was being *handed* the money we needed to save ourselves), but at the same time, you can totally understand where Matthew's guilt comes from, and how he feels the money would be hopelessly tainted...
I thought you did a great job expressing their viewpoints, as well as letting them come to some sort of understanding at the end of the evening. I only hope we actually get to see this kind of stuff on-screen, too!
Keep the fanfic coming!
downtonlove chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
You've done a wonderful job representing each of their arguments. What I love is their respect for each other even with they really don't want to. M/M want to tare each other's hair out but don't, instead they tare each other's close off! ;) Well done!
luvgoround chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
It does seem an impossible situation. It seems that Downton always seems to be at the brink of being lost, esp. by Mary. But, as she thought it impossible that she would "marry a man who can hardly handle a knife like a gentleman", the impossible happened. She married him and is hopelessly and very willingly in love with Matthew. And he is in love with her. So, i have the faith to believe that somehow this problem will get resolved as well, and they will not lose Downton. Things might have to change, but Downton will carry on and the Crawley's will still be in it. Your story does seem plausible. I wish I knew how Matthew is going to forgive himself of the guilt, and realize he can't spend the rest of his life holding on to a guilty conscience and expect to have a happy marriage.
Willa Dedalus chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
Oh I so agree - just one little shot of them when singing "Let me call you sweetheart I'm in love with you." Just one!

Thanks for filling in this blank.
x Miss I x chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
Oh I love this! I really really love this! :)

Can we hand this in to Julian Fellowes to replace whatever he's doing? Though unlike some people in the fandom, I have faith that Julian will make everything alright. He loves M/M!

I loved how they still didn't end up going into too much detail about their true feelings on the matter, yet they still were able to move forward.

I hate all this nonsense bickering on the fandom. I respect people have opinions but gosh! Now they're accusing others of specifying where their loyalty lies :/ what?!

I like how this story showed the complexity of the situation, as well as their stubbornness.

Oh I hope Julian rectifies this soon. I can't bear this fandom in the meantime...

smndolphin chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
Poor darlings. Yes I do think one more scene was needed. It never ceases to amaze me how well you channel Matthew and Mary. I am trying very hard to see where they both coming from and you know my biases. I loved how in this I could see both of their points of view more clearly. I still feel my head torn from one moment to the next, but I think that's how we're almost supposed to feel because there's no right answer. No matter what happens, one of them will lose something major. But what matters is that after all the starts and stops, they're finally together. No one is going to love Matthew like Mary. No one is going to love Mary like Matthew. They just need to be together and they need to be open and honest at all times. That's what you showed us here. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful talents with us :)
Lady Etiquette chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
You present both side very nicely. This would all be so much easier if Mary would only say to Matthew, "the decision must be yours and no matter what you decide I will always love you." But that is apparently not meant to be, so your ficlet brings them together quite nicely in the end...to live and to argue another day. :) Loved it! Thanks! :)

PS: I'm on Matthew's "side" on this one...but no doubt there will be a happy ending, or some version of a happy ending, for them when they have crossed this bridge. :)
silvertonedwords chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
This was wonderfully in character and very much felt like it could've happened.
And I agree. I see where both of them are coming from and I'm just glad they aren't letting it drive them apart.
R. Grace chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
Oh, lovely! Gah, I wish this had happened in canon. Darn you, JF! *shakes fist*
E chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
Well, now, you have to write a second chapter now, don't you? Love it, and you did a great job with both of their valid viewpoints.
Guest chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
I think you've actually done more justice to their viewpoints here than Fellowes has in the show itself. Very nicely done.

I struggle mightily to see Matthew's side of things right now, but you did him justice. Even though I was cheering along in my head while Mary laid into him. If she had thrown in an argument about Matthew ruining the livelihood of many servants as well, I'd have thought her argument was complete :)
26 | « Prev Page 1 2