Reviews for Night and Day
TinkStar87 chapter 1 . 9/29/2012
Very nice and i can soo see that happening -
7gifts chapter 1 . 9/29/2012
Intense and beautifully expressed. I could feel the tension radiating from my computer screen.

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Brava!
Lola chapter 1 . 9/27/2012
Beautiful writing.. I love the determination here to fight together, regardless of the Swire money. Thanks for sharing!
kmh11 chapter 1 . 9/26/2012
This was magnificent!
EOlivet chapter 1 . 9/26/2012
I'm always so taken by the poetry of your words and your imagery, and this is no exception. :D The opening tableau is absolutely stunning - the storm outside and the quieter storm within. Just extremely powerful. And I LOVE that Matthew reaches for Mary when she feels like she's alone, and just ADORE the idea that Mary loves Matthew for his conscience (sigh! :) And "A stranger who became his best friend." - oh, my heart! :( You truly use words to create beauty, so I hope you keep writing! :)
positive.potassium chapter 1 . 9/26/2012
Beautiful! really well written I wish they really have this moment Mary just seem to push it to the side for now and Matthew is stubborn as ever. Loving season 3 its great so far!
luvgoround chapter 1 . 9/25/2012
This is really good, and it makes me feel sad that Matthew can't seem to forget. Mary's right - "forget Swire's money, they're a curse of their own". But now she has challenged him to fight for Downton. That is something I believe Matthew can grab hold of, without there being any guilt attached or Swire. I do hope he comes to that in the show, because it's very painful to see them at this impasse. They should be ecstatic in their newlywed state. instead they've been burdened with her father's bad investing problems.
Chickwriter chapter 1 . 9/25/2012
You get to the heart of their difficulty so beautifully here... especially bringing back the S1 moment when he WAS listening. I love your way of illustrating her as a fighter.. that she could so very easily simply run into his arms but she wants this fight, needs it. The idea that he freed her ghosts but can't let go of his own is absolutely true and so well expressed, and that she loves him for his conscience, but it's that he won't "fight for her..." This is absolutely wonderful! You must write more!
sasita747 chapter 1 . 9/25/2012
Loved it! The image of her looking out of the window like she did in S1E01 and Matthew coming to embrace her back was also one of my comforting head canons I cherished during the S2 angst, it's lovely to read it written out like this. This story has many beautiful call-backs on their journey to this point. Did I say that I loved it already?
circa1910 chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
I love this sentence: "Loving me never kept you from running". Sums up their saga neatly. Mary, dear, he wasn't ready. He may be running (or just speed walking) from a responsibility he did not choose. Part of a package, Matthew. Always has been.
acise chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
I read this earlier today and I've just come back to read it again. This is everything I hope they are and it would be lovely if they could figure out to say this to each other. Thank you for sharing this!
juicyjools chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
Very good..,

and we have yet to see how Mary deals with this reluctance of Matthew...maybe it can run along similar to your story.
crankygrrl 2.0 chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
This is a great fic. You capture the clash of manners between Mary and Matthew with as much clarity and insight into their characterization (if not more) than most of the metas I've read of this episode. And I do adore fanfic that brings an exegetical eye to the characters & story.

For me, I think it all comes down to this sentence: "Then BE on my side." For Mary words are less important than actions - "Pay no attention to the things I say" - she's a woman who's been offered may promises by men who largely failed to live up to them. She's married Matthew in spite of it but she still wants him to fight for her, to show by his actions that he's at least as committed to her as he was to Lavinia - "Loving me never stopped you from running."

Quite.

Well done.
Found Wanderer chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
A perfect catharsis for me as well. Thank you for writing this :)
Willa Dedalus chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
Oh this is just beautiful. It takes my breath away and I love it so terribly much!
"Impossibly close and inevitably hidden." Perfect for M&M!
What a wonderful story for 3.02! Bravo.