Reviews for Stranger in a Stranger Land
Too Dam Sweet chapter 4 . 10/15/2012
Kevlar isn't just a helmet it's the Material, like a Kevlar vest... :) US military here. Anywho I am liking your story very much.
Phineas Redux chapter 4 . 10/15/2012
The little vignette of Athens brings the city to life. The brawl outside the Inn is good. I like how Kate doesn’t come off best as a matter of course. I love Xena’s greeting to Auto—perfect. The badinage with Auto is funny and the retelling of the legend of Athen’s founding is interesting, as well as smoothly providing the plot-line. Kate’s chat with Mercury is relaxed and informative. The end with Xena and Gabrielle is delightful. And the notes are very informative. I suppose Mercury, or anyone else in that time, would just take the US Army helmet as some type of foreign design. The story’s developing very nicely.
Phineas Redux chapter 3 . 10/15/2012
Kate’s reaction to news of the passing patrol of unknown warriors is very realistic—just what you’d imagine someone in that position would think and do. Poor Kate, hoping the local farmers were Amish and trying to talk technology with them! I like Xena’s reaction to Kate’s knowledge of Athenian military history, and the little insight into Kate’s nature at the end helps the reader visualise her outlook and capability.
zerodarkwolf chapter 2 . 10/10/2012
kaye is SUCH a good mary-sue
Stardawn19 chapter 3 . 10/7/2012
Very cool. I can see Kate slipping into the role that Athena has for her. And I can see the test brewing. Nicely done and I'd like to see more of this story, keep it up. :)
Stardawn19 chapter 2 . 10/7/2012
Ah, ok, and I light bulb goes off. Very nice. I'm enjoying this so far, keep up the good work :).
Stardawn19 chapter 1 . 10/7/2012
So far, interesting premise. I like the Uber-ness to it w/ the modern warrior coming back in time... not sure how this connects with your summary yet, but I'm interested to see where it goes.
Phineas Redux chapter 2 . 9/27/2012
The knife-fight between Kate and her attackers is really well described, allowing tension to build as it progresses. The introduction of Xena and Gabrielle to Kate is fluid and convincing. Kate’s gradual acceptance of the two strange women—giving herself logical reasons for their presence—reflects her intelligence and state of mind at that moment.

The appearance of the Goddess; her recounting the reasons for Kate’s being in the situation she finds herself; and the implied relation between the Goddess and Kate, are all given convincingly. Altogether, an excellent beginning to the tale.

As for historical details which may be rather unfamiliar to many—my answer is to either make them clear in the text or put factual notes at the end of my chapters. This seems to help, and solves the difficulty of unsatisfied readers. I look forward to the further unfolding of this story.
Silvermoonlight GJ chapter 2 . 9/27/2012
I think your writing is great and that you have a good solid piece but like the others I have to say that even I'm confused with this one, the time part I get but who Kate really is, is really not clear. I also don't think its fair for you to request readers to brush up on their Roman mythology, people read stories to enjoy the experience they don't want to have to stop and be forced to look at mythology 101. In my view part of the fun of reading is the writer teaching me about the mythology through their characters.
Darkwingedperson chapter 1 . 9/26/2012
As the previous commenter said how are they dealing with roman gods? But anyway interesting chapter Jope you update soon to find out more. :-)
ivo1617 chapter 1 . 9/25/2012
I am confused as to what this story is about. In the short summary above it says that Xena and Gabby will be dealing with the Roman gods, but in the chapter itself Xena and Gabby are dealing with someone from the future.