Reviews for Could Be Bumpy
ghosteye99 chapter 1 . 7/18/2013
I waited until I finished the series before reviewing (and yes, I spoiled myself for the BDM. Guess I'd been a bit unpatient, but I'll still be watching it properly when I can get it). All I can say is, that this fic really lays bare Zoe's pain, vulnerability and strength post-Serenity. A classic study of her character, thanks for writing it so well.
Cerulean.Phoenix7 chapter 1 . 12/29/2012
Wow, fantastic job, Dax.

You really dig deep into Zoe's pain here, going beyond what we saw in 'Serenity' to the really raw wounds, the ones that will likely never heal. I love how you piece her entire existence together; her friendship with Mal, her and Wash, and how she fits into the dynamic aboard Serenity.

Most of all, I love this line about her and Wash; it fits them so perfectly:

"Wash… Wash was a part of you. And you were a part of him. Together, you were like Serenity's engines – a bit mismatched, prone to spark and groan – but ultimately right, stuck together in such a way that no matter how unlikely you looked, it worked."

Most of all, I love how this is in Zoe's voice, it took me a few lines, but I started to hear the words as she would say them, and it made me realize that this is her, truly and without doubt.

I also really love how you made this work in second person; it's a rare perspective, but you wrote it well.

The ending made me pause for a moment because I thought: How can Zoe still function in the same way after this? But then I realized that I wasn't looking at it from the right angle; it's that Zoe is resilient; she will not quit, she will not lie down in the face of anything. She's a fighter, and you really captured that here. Thank you.

CP7
adara-greenleaf chapter 1 . 12/21/2012
Wow! This was SO good, but SO sad! I hate that Joss killed Wash. There wasn't any need for it and, as much as I love the man who created my favorite show of all time, I don't know if I can ever really forgive him for doing it, ya know? It was a short fic, but it didn't really need to be long. Thanks for sharing.
PinkAngel17 chapter 1 . 10/14/2012
Oh wow, that was wonderfully done! So heartbreaking and poignant. It fit her perfectly!
JM131 chapter 1 . 10/7/2012
Sigh...I miss 'em all. Thanks for this.
chezchuckles chapter 1 . 10/6/2012
ohhh man, see second person just...but you DID it. I'm impressed. and then "Blink and you'd have missed it." UNG that got me. It really did. The mismatched engines too - there's something so very HER about thinking like that, and yet so really really good. I love it. The voice is there too, Zoe's voice, and that's impressive. I LOVE IT
Marie King chapter 1 . 9/27/2012
This is really good you captured Zoe's inner thoughts amazingly well!
Keep writing!
sophialreynolds chapter 1 . 9/26/2012
I loved it. One thing two short. I do hope you want to do add more.
Big Dave chapter 1 . 9/25/2012
Zoe is strong, the strongest woman I ever knew. She can do this. I think you captured her very essence. Thank you
saphira and shruikan chapter 1 . 9/25/2012
Wow, that was beautiful. I was horribly depressed from Wash's death and Zoe's depression, but this fic made me feel better somehow. . . .

Anyway, it's awesomely in character, even the dialect of the story. I was hoping for a mention of Zoe's baby, but not many people know about that, I don't think. Surprise!

Good use of the second-person perspective, too. That's too underused.
Alpha Flyer chapter 1 . 9/25/2012
So here I am, sitting in the Air Canada lounge at La Guardia, pretending I'm not crying. I don't think it's working.

Thank you.