Reviews for Life After Hayate
subtended chapter 13 . 4/6
I'm so glad to see a quality fic focusing on Chrono and the Wolkenritter!
Though not the sole reason, I did feel that the whole rotation of characters in StrikerS did miss the opportunity to further explore several characters, particularly Chrono and Zafira.
Though Hayate was killed to kick off the plot of the story, it is good to see her influence live on. From the start, designating Chrono as the heir to the Tome of the Night Sky belies the sort of talent Hayate had, despite being much closer to others (as you mention yourself in one of your author's notes). Further, it is in the behavior of the Wolkenritter themselves, influence that they show growing awareness of as Hayate's desire for a family clashes with Chrono's more formal manner.
Grief is also a delicate subject, and I think it was handled well in regards to the Wolkenritter. Subsuming it into duty, practiced routines, makes sense, as that likely provided the bulk of the Wolkenritter's behavior for however many ages, and in stark contrast to the family-like relationship that Hayate evoked.
I see that much of this hinges on Chrono providing a more experienced, more aware owner to the Tome, rather than Hayate's comparative naivete at age 12 (though MLGN's ages are still ridiculous), which is refreshing.
I do think that the sparring scene with Signum came across as a little weak. It is implied more than directly stated that Chrono is supplementing his spell knowledge with the Tome's contents (an aside earlier that he had been studying the book may have provided the Chekhov's Gun for the sparring scene). However, even so, whether by intention or omission of more action, Signum seemed to go down very easily, more easily than simply a deeper bag of tricks would imply. Chrono may be efficient and cunning, plus supplemented with Unison, but I still question the ease that it could trump Signum's sheer combat experience. Though her post-spar flirting was greatly amusing to read!
I think you may have to delve more into Amy's past relationship with Chrono, how far it went, and to what extent it still exists, particularly if Signum or Shamal will pursue Chrono romantically.
I also like your handling of the...less savory aspects of being Wolkenritter. Signum flirts freely because Chrono is a good and decent man, and to tease him. Though Shamal made the initial offer out of duty, I agree with Vita, that was very classy on Chrono's behalf and continued to emphasize that he thinks of the Wolkenritter as people. I think Signum and Shamal becoming aware that they are worthy of positive attention, as women, rather than objects or minions, agrees well with them.
Regarding your OCs, is Muhammad another one of those rare mages from Earth, given his name? Tiida also seems cunning and amusingly trollish, when he has the opportunity, and seeing young Tia describing Ceiling Wolkenritter to Vita was also hilarious.
The intrigue plot sounds like it has a lot of potential, and I am eagerly anticipating the next chapter! Good work!
DrYuriMom chapter 13 . 3/8
Had a little trouble following this one. It was in need of a little more fleshing out to make it flow like previous chapters. Still, it was cute. Who can't like Vita? Well, except the bad guys...or anyone her master wants out of the way...
GeshronTyler chapter 13 . 3/5
Ah, the "typical, boring, day off" trope, eh? Nice little segment.
NHO chapter 13 . 3/2
Ah, Vita. This leave was more productive that a week at work. I think you need to repeat it.
Cyberchao X chapter 8 . 1/5
Wow. I truly started laughing out loud at Chrono's finding that the Wolkenritter could benefit monetarily from their status as figures of legend. Also enjoyed his, um, interaction with Shamal.
Cyberchao X chapter 7 . 1/5
Signum, you truly are cruel.
Cyberchao X chapter 5 . 1/5
...What the fuck?
Cyberchao X chapter 4 . 1/5
...Yeah. Finally realized the inherent problem here.
Cyberchao X chapter 3 . 1/5
Ooh. Chilling.
Cyberchao X chapter 1 . 1/5
Wow. Way to start off strong.
Gundam Kaiser chapter 12 . 1/5
Ah, the vending machine bit was great. Curious to see if the Quagmire situation gets followed-up on.

With each chapter, Chrono and Zafira just get that much more awesome.
cartoons68 chapter 11 . 12/16/2013
Not Bad. Bit shorter than usual though.
Gundam Kaiser chapter 11 . 12/15/2013
... Poor Chrono, I can really... at least, in my head... empathize with the position he's in regarding the Wolks.
Eleventh Messenger chapter 11 . 12/10/2013
Woo! Been waiting for this for -months-.

I do enjoy how you drive home the point that Shamal is actually the most dangerous one of them all.
cartoons68 chapter 10 . 8/8/2013
Glad to see an update! After all this time I was worried this story may've been abandoned. Fortunately the story's quality seems consistent and is still doing great! Nice Work.
49 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »