Reviews for The Foundation of Hogwarts
Gamma Orionis chapter 1 . 10/19/2012
This, right here, was very awesome. There aren't enough good stories about the founders, I think. I did find, however, that there were places where the writing had too much "telling" and not enough "showing", you know? I think, for example, the line:

"They agreed that this would be the way to proceed and they also decided that each of them would teach one subject to all students."

Would have worked better if you had actually continued writing the conversation between them, showing exactly how they came to that conclusion.
conquerors chapter 1 . 10/18/2012
I really enjoyed this take on how the founders discovered the land on which they built Hogwarts. You must have spent quite some time researching medieval customs, Scottish towns, and Gaelic language, and it added a lot to the overall quality of the story.

I noticed a few SPaG mistakes, but there was nothing that really distracted from the story.
Selenehekate chapter 1 . 10/15/2012
Ah, I like your leg of the relay! I enjoy how you have this from Helga's perspective. I can't really decide if you have her in character or not, because I don't know so much about Helga Hufflepuff, but I really enjoyed reading this nonetheless. Great job!
AmzyD chapter 1 . 10/13/2012
Ah yes I found this really great! I'm from the Highlands in Scotland so I automatically got really engrossed in this. I really love your use of Gaelic and the way you describe the scenes, it was spot on. The characterisations were really good, too and you included some clever ways to portray the founders as seperate people. Great!
slightlysmall chapter 1 . 10/11/2012
I like that you took the time to make it seem realistic to the times and the location. Gaelicizing the names was great, and gave us an idea of where the strange name came from. I like the way you establish the characters and the setting and I felt like I was there. There are a few SPaG errors throughout, but they are really minor. :) Well done!
Couture Girl chapter 1 . 10/9/2012
Wow, this take on how the Founders founded Hogwarts was great. I liked that you investigated when you wrote this. It shows dedication and I appreciate that in a writer. The way you wrote Helga was excellent as well. I'm curious, so did the rest of you team mates wrote their respective characters on this one-shot as well? I think so, right? n_n Anyway well done!

Much love!

C.G.
silver-nightstorm chapter 1 . 10/8/2012
Lovely! I like your version of this - it's very believable and you can already see the beginning of their conflict, but I like how you can see how they're all friends and they really want to make this work. Well done! :D
autumn midnights chapter 1 . 10/7/2012
This was great! I'm usually not the biggest fan of Founders Era, but I really liked this piece. I like that you didn't do romance, first of all, because a lot of Founders Era pieces are focused on shipping and not at all about the actual founding of Hogwarts. I like your characterizations of the four founders, also, and I like the subjects you chose for them to teach - kind of fits with the present-day Hogwarts teachers and their houses. The language barrier makes a lot of sense, also, and I like the way you changed Hogsmeade and Hogwarts into Gaelic, that was quite clever. I do think when they talked about what students to choose, that Salazar would have mentioned something about pure blood, also, but since ambitiousness is also a Slytherin trait, him choosing that quality does also makes sense. Good fic!
HedwigBlack chapter 1 . 10/5/2012
I liked this a lot. It was very interesting to read all of the small details you included like the lack of a church indicating an all magical community. The language barriers and the small things that created some conflict was also really great. And Helga being the one to strike a deal to buy the land was awesome and I especially loved her part in this. Nice job!
opaque-girl chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
I thought this was incredibly well-written :3 It seemed to flow well together and I liked how it was all that ancient-times fic - it made it seem all the more real. I would have probably liked to see a bit more of an element of conflict, but that could just be a personal preference :)
queen-sheep chapter 1 . 10/3/2012
I really really like this story :)

It's detailed and you included everything like the language barrier and customs. I felt that Rowena wasn't that 'smart' in the beginning butthat isn't a problem. You also did a good job portraying their friendship.
Fire The Canon chapter 1 . 10/3/2012
As soon as I found out what you were all writing, I was keen to read this. It's such a brilliant idea, I must say. I wasn't expecting it, but am highly impressed.

I loved the Scottish-ness you brought to it. Being my surname is Scottish and a lot of my (convict) family in the 1800's came from there, I like it. And I've always wanted to learn Gaelic (though Irish-Gaelic). I find this time period fascinating.

And I adored this. It was good writing and very interesting. Well done.
The Original Horcrux chapter 1 . 10/1/2012
This was AMAZING! I will definitely be reading on.

I think the way that you've medieval-icised everything really gave an edge to the story. I loved the way that they were all friends and nobody were at each other's throats. It was really great to see 'Slytherin' and 'Hufflepuff' getting on with each other and the way that it was before all the inter-house rivalry started.

This is the first founders fic that I've ever read and It was great to come into this era with such a great fic. Beautiful job!
whirlwinds of watercolours chapter 1 . 9/30/2012
Interesting - I haven't read any fics about the founding of Hogwarts. And I like the fact that you took time to change those names to something similar to that time - something most authors wouldn't have taken the effort to do so. Overall, good job!
yellow 14 chapter 1 . 9/26/2012
Your history is fairly out in parts. Any Monastry would have been church land and presumably would have required them to negotiate with high-ranking church officials. Also, I don't think that the church ever relinquished land (I'll have to confirm that though, I'm not certain about that.) Still a decent start