Reviews for Endgame for Hotaru
Viper5delta chapter 1 . 4/14
Great work, following in the vain hope that one day you may continue this.
TheForceIsStrongWithThisOne chapter 1 . 6/6/2015
I must have somehow missed this story.

It reminds me somewhat of the airport scene in Shades where BB informs Raven that he won't go back to the friend zone, even if he didn't use those words. Of course in that story, Raven reluctantly agrees to move forward with him, and unfortunately she never seemed to move beyond that as she never showed the passion or decisiveness for him that she did show for Garth and later with Grayson. Of course, had BB just walked away after her half hearted pledge and boarded the plane you wouldn't have had a story. Anyway, after seeing BB "being like a boss" at the airport, it was a little disheartening to see him revert to simp mode later in that story, whereas here he stood his ground and didn't allow Raven to pull him into an ill defined, lopsided relationship.

And you are right, once you are put into the friend zone, you're doomed and it's best to move on. My personal theory is that a woman will decide with a few minutes of meeting you if she's going to put you into the friend zone even though you won't find out until later.
Tabitha Knight chapter 1 . 10/30/2014
is this supposed to be a oneshot? I hope not because i would love to see where this goes.
Hate Eater chapter 1 . 9/23/2014
welp, that didn't end nice
Concolor44 chapter 1 . 1/3/2014
So ... let me see if I have this straight.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Hotaru was upset with you because you were writing about the Friend Zone (a state of affairs which exists for some unlucky men, and the truth of which is apodictic) and about one man's attempts at getting out of the FZ and into a romantic relationship.

Seriously?

I can't quite wrap my brain around what her objections could be. Does the FZ offend her sensibilities? Does she not admit it exists? Does she think it 'un-chivalrous' for a guy who's interested in a girl to want more than just friendship?

Ahem. [kicks soapbox out of the way]
Now, as to the story, you told it very well. I was quite taken with the recurring theme of the 'lights went out'. And Gar's explanation at the end rings all too true. She can't expect him to hang around and just 'be friends' if he really loves her. That's a special sort of hell.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/23/2013
Painful but honest. The writer is a gentleman I much admire for his turn of phrase and wit, but he speaks the truth here; I wish I had had the courage to take that road when it first occured; never the less it is the right one for a man, and beneficial to both parties. Good read.
Sniffle chapter 1 . 9/28/2012
QUE? (Wwwwwwhhhhhaaaatttttt?) Please tell me this isn't the end?
shugokage chapter 1 . 9/27/2012
Great chapter and story I know many guys feel sympathy for Garfield here because we have been put in similar place and it really does hurt no matter how you name or ignore it!
lovegame chapter 1 . 9/27/2012
I'm so sorry but you have to be a super sensitive person or on your part days to belive all of that B$. The only way a guy will STAY in the friend zone is if, ONE he's not attractive, or TWO he acts like your girlfriend. Raven is obviously attracted to beastboy, and he's certainly not being a "girlfriend" to her!

On another note I don't think starfire is ploting. And if anyone would think that its backstabing, they have a cactus stuck up somewhere. A REAL friend would understand that she's only trying to look out for her. The only bad mark I give starfire(and everyone else who is obviously able to see this) is that she won't tell Raven what a womanizer Aqualad is, aaaaand that she's sees hes going to hurt her and she didn't say aaaaanything.

So yawaa this ruined it for me. It feels like it wrapped everything up. Reading more on 'shades' would be like watching an alternative ending.
So that's no bueno.
fei.fie.fo.fum chapter 1 . 9/27/2012
i dunno about hotaru, but when i first read this as chapter 24 of love in shades of green and grey i nearly cried tears of anguish.
her criticism on starfire, while it may be legit, i have a few problems with. she's best friends with both the guy and the girl. the girl is interested in a man who is, by all evidence, going to break her heart, and she is expected to what, just let her jump into something that bed of coals without trying to stop it? at all?
there's a code of honor, i get that, but sometimes, rules are meant to be broken. not to mention the fact that star was the one who put her on the path to this, so she's doubly responsible as the friend and the friend who steered her to this.
still, this piece hit me right in the feels. so, that's interesting.
but seriously, right in the feels.
St Rhon chapter 1 . 9/27/2012
This now makes much more sense! When you posted it in the other story I was in the same camp as the other people going "Whaaaat?" However, your explanation at the beginning of the piece reveals all. I must say thanks for pointing out the alternate and some would say easier solution to the "friend zone" which is "getting the hell out of dodge" or "punching out" as some would say. That whole "there's other fish in the sea" thing that people older or wiser say to you to make you feel better. Which in most cases appears to be true.

Though I must point out that men aren't the only recipients "friend zoning". Many women due to appearing (hypothetically of course. no judgement being passed here! You are all your own special flower ;P) less attractive (physically or mentally /shrug), too much like a "bro", or simply lacking that certain...thing that sparks attraction end up sitting in the sidelines watching their romantic target go through girl after girl while never appearing to even notice them. Heck happens all the time in manga. Years of friendship always seem to pale in comparison to a school transfer or being higher up on the social ladder. Childhood friend trope ftl :(

Anyways looking forward to more of your writing. Also you might wanna throw the people at your other story a bone. Chap 24 seems to have made them rabid ;P