Reviews for Pawns
Tiny Teddy Bear chapter 12 . 3/20
Oh, Kingsley is sweet, isn't he? :)

The way you've written Cles, all along, has been marvellous - his moods - his childlikeness. Wonderful job.

It really does remind me of 'The Lantern Bearers', you know. Light out of the Dark - people pulling together and patching up the remnants of their old lives to make something that's new, and different, and cobbled-together, but - good enough.

I don't know what to say. This whole story was beautiful, and incredibly moving, and exquisitely, lovingly crafted. And a wonderful way to spent one's Sunday afternoon!

And now, I want - more - Tiggy! And Rax! And Cles! They've wormed their way right into my heart, and I want to see how they're doing, and how their lives are, and whether Tiggy ever does decide to leave the attic, somewhere along the track. Would you ever consider going back to them?

Tiny Teddy Bear
Tiny Teddy Bear chapter 11 . 3/20
I was actually crying by the time Tiggy saw Cles again. Actually crying. '...some pieces, even well-mended, are not quite right ever again... a blind pawn could feel its way.' :"(

This was so - so - *gropes for words* It was beautiful.
Tiny Teddy Bear chapter 10 . 3/20
I like what you've done with 'Tiggy' and 'Antigone'. The feeling of the Imperius - and how she comes out of it, and its lingering confusion - was exceptionally well done, with such a dreamlike quality, I thought.

I enjoyed Kingsley, and Aberforth!

And 'That would be "too good."' :'(
Tiny Teddy Bear chapter 9 . 3/19
What - what can I say about this? *bites nails further down* I have to go on to the next chapter!
Tiny Teddy Bear chapter 8 . 3/19
I love, love Antigone's dignity in her capture. I'm so proud of her! And her cleverness!

But look at my hands! Fingernails bitten right down to the bottom!
Tiny Teddy Bear chapter 7 . 3/19
Zugzwang - I had to look that one up! While I know the basics of chess, I'm glad you have included definitions of the moves. The way you've used them is very clever.

'And between them and long ago was a doorstep with Anticles on...' :( And they never play Do-You-Remember. It must be so painful. My family is also two boys and a girl, and when I think if it was /my/ littlest brother...

The exchange with Eleanor Pitt was rather frightening, actually. :/ And the way Tiggy categorises things as 'too good'... poor girl, she deserves some respite!

Cles's outburst was heartbreaking. :(

And - oh, no - what has happened to Tiggy now?
Tiny Teddy Bear chapter 6 . 3/19
Oh, dear, poor Tiggy trying to carve pawns!

Oh, no... I have cold forbidding chills down my spine about this. Tiggy's despair at the end cuts very deep - the way she picks Anticles up and holds him.

Very reminiscent of 'The Lantern Bearers', I thought... Aquila and the little rat-faced bird-catcher? :( This has the same feel.
Tiny Teddy Bear chapter 5 . 3/19
Oh, Benait! I had to laugh! :/

Lucius Malfoy's order... "'Perhaps they think a hundred galleons is enough weregild,' said Tiggy dully."

And they sent the owl away with no reply. I want to hug them. They are both so brave, and so - small. Just gentle ordinary /good/ people who want to be left alone. :(
Tiny Teddy Bear chapter 4 . 3/19
Aw, the bar of chocolate. Very Charlie and the Chocolate Factory-esque! I'm loving how you write Rax and Tiggy's supportive brother-sister relationship - it's very moving and true-to-life. Drawn from experience?

And - gulp. Rax looks like his father!
Tiny Teddy Bear chapter 3 . 3/18
Oh, Cles. He hides behind the chair. It's so heartbreaking. :(

The rug shop signs made me laugh, though, especially your artful misspelling of 'valuable'. I know your writing much too well to think that it was a genuine mistake. ;) Misspellings on signage always irritate me!

Benait was cute. :) 'An Older Slytherin', indeed! I'm not so sure that Tiggy would have been in Slytherin, she doesn't quite seem that way. Having said that, I liked that you showed a positive, human portrayal of a Slytherin in Benait. And her crush on Harry! :)

And oh, I felt their pain at reading Harry's description of the Death Eaters - and realising that their own father had been one of them... :\

Will be back later!
Tiny Teddy Bear chapter 2 . 3/18
There's just so much lovely, intricate world-building here. Madam Aldred's bartering, and her "'E"! :) And Mother Hubbard...

Oh, no. :( Bellatrix.
Tiny Teddy Bear chapter 1 . 3/18
Oh, wow. This is good, really, really good. The sense of place is so strong, I have a palette of colours for it in my head: Dark earthy brown, bits of faded sepia, small gleams of weak golden light.

I like their names, and also the nicknames, especially Tiggy for Antigone. I thought that was a poignant way to show that they're just children, really, paying for 'the sins of the father'. :(

Gulp. And the hissing that calms Cles, and how Tiggy hates it.

Oh, /NO/! That's - that is terrible! How can you do this? :"( And then poor, brave little Rax facing the Hogwarts enquiries at the door, so that his brother won't be taken away. Why does that just catch me in the heart?*sniffs*

And Tiggy loves books, and can't afford them! If there's anything that makes me want to cry, it's that. The motherly book, too! Poor little Tiggy!

Oh, there's just so /much/ here that I want to comment on. The chess pieces! The Young Witches of the World! The description of Knockturn Alley!
Tabithatibi chapter 4 . 6/12/2015
Finally I've got round to continuing with this! I'm very glad I did - such a dramatic ending! And, more than that, a chilling ending, which I love. The mention of Pettigrew was good too.
I shall read more tomorrow ...

Oh! I also really liked the idea of the knee-bouncing for the different chess pieces, that was a lovely touch. And the namedropping of the shop with the cheapest bread. Just, eesch, so many lovely details!

Tabs ~
Tabithatibi chapter 3 . 5/25/2015
Benait was very sweet, if ditzy and naive. I loved the description of the Ali Bashir's rug shop, and the little commentary on each of the signs posted on the rug at the back of the shop.
So, what are the Sutches going to do? I'm intrigued, I must say ...
I look forward to reading the next chapter. :)
Tabithatibi chapter 2 . 5/19/2015
This was a great chapter, really great. And I mean that quite honestly, because I very rarely like or read fanfics that are based around OCs, but this one is captivating. The whole scene in the Apothecary was really good; I liked the bartering and something about the transaction in general, the old oil and the 'baccy' - it was really nicely done. I have a feeling things might soon get even worse for the Sutches ...

I'm very intrigued about where this is going, and how it will all end ... Only ten more chapters to go! ;)