Reviews for Solace
fantasychica37 chapter 1 . 9/24/2013
Halfway through I was like, “Please tell me she's not going to slash Nienna..." I mean, it was extremely good, but of every one to slash, you chose Nienna.
Jen Littlebottom chapter 1 . 2/10/2004
Ai, why have I never seen this before? I'm a big Nerdanel fan (well, not so much as I am becoming a Mahtan fan, but that's another story).
'Were you a true wife, you would keep them all, keep them all. Desert me, and you desert them. All of our children, all of them. They are determined to go with their father.' - yes, that's Feanor all over.
Nelja chapter 1 . 1/22/2004
I love this story. There are few fics about Nerdanel, and the overall subject is original. And it's well written. And I like Nienna.
Prophetic Fire chapter 1 . 8/21/2003
Yeah, I'd weep for Feanor too. Then again, that's only because I'm a strange fangirl who likes him far too much for her own good. *sighs and begins smacking her head on the wall* I have nothing else to say! I feel like a failure as a reviewer! Reviewers are supposed to HELP the authors, but I? No! No I state my opinion and add nothing to the overall effect of the story! I'll stop ranting now.
Ngia chapter 1 . 12/1/2002
Wow, subtlety in a magnificent form! _ inspirationally written! This is wonderful! Simple, short and crisp to the point, lovely _!
Caporal chapter 1 . 8/17/2002
Touching. Very. And it's not really slashy.

I always pitied Nerdanel, more so than Fëanor and his sons. Nienna is my favorite Vala, and the thought of the two of them meeting up after the whole Fëanor debacle is perfect. I love this.

~Morgûlwen
Guest chapter 1 . 8/7/2002
Why haven't I reviewed this? It's beautiful, simply beautiful.
vorondis chapter 1 . 7/30/2002
No, this isn't slash, and I'd remove the reference from the summary, if I were you. A convincing picture of Nerdanel; I shudder to think how she must have felt.

Valar are very difficult to describe for mere mortals, but you just carried it off, I think, perhaps by not letting us look inside her mind.
WatcherChild chapter 1 . 7/23/2002
Nerdanel certainly had her fair share of suffering. Perhaps it would be wrong to say that remaining in Valinor is as much a punishment for her as being inside the Halls of Mandos is for her husband and sons.

Nerdanel also needs feeling, and I am glad that she has received some.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 7/22/2002
A wonderful piece of writing! The idea is perfectly in line with Silm stuff and yet never stated. Yes, it's possible that the elves would blame Nerdanel. It's pretty harsh since who knows what horrible things have been averted because of her counselings in the past. But life is harsh, and Nienna's comfort was perfect, especially since she's one of the few single Vala. I like Nerdanel's disoriented state of mind and the way she remembers snippets of her last conversation with Feanor. I also like the idea that she first turned to the Sea, and Ulmo's the other single Vala, isn't he? :b Hard being Feanor's wife. It's a very fitting end for her because Miriel joined Vaire (I think) and is the only elf to enter in her service. Now we have Nerdanel joining Nienna and being the only elf in her service. Mother and daughter-in-law in a similar fate. Thanks for creating such an image of Nerdanel.
Soledad too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 7/19/2002
How very... human from the Elves of Valinor to load the blame onto Nerdanel's shoulder. As if he could have done anything. And how characteristic that of all the Valar Nienna is the only one to have pity with her. Every time I begin to feel a bit better for them, they do something to change it. No, actually that's not true. The real problem with them is that they do *nothing.*
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 7/18/2002
It makes sense that Nienna would be the one to have such a sane understanding of marriage - Feanor renounced Nerdanel, so there is no sin in her loving another. It makes m wonder what happened to all the other abandoned wives, many of whom must have lost all their children as well.

Your description of Nerdanel's anguish is perfect. It does seem desperately unfair that of seven children, none were left to her. Of course she would doubt herself. And will any of them ever return from Mandos in Arda Marred? Nienna's answer is awfully vague, but it was probably the only honest comfort she could give.
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 7/17/2002
I can't believe I get to be the first one to review this! You've captured Nerdanel's state of mind perfectly - and I love the way you subtly imply that her suffering is also in part because of the way her own people regard her, following her sons' actions after the Kinslaying. Bad enough to have to live with the knowledge that the children you created and love have become murderers - how much worse to know that others believe that it might be your fault they became what they are. And the conclusion is perfect! It's so tempting to hate those who've harmed you - but in choosing that road, you risk losing the best parts of yourself. We need to forgive as much for our own sakes as for the sakes of those who've wronged us.