Reviews for Jake's Girl
NZLisaM chapter 9 . 10/22/2013
Oh my god, I had to read really fast to see if it was Teresa, and I was so relieved to discover it wasn’t. I didn’t think you’d kill off Teresa, but I must admit, I wasn’t 100% sure. Great twist! What an action-packed chapter!

And I love the parallel between Jake and the hit-and-run drunk driver. How that could’ve been Jake if he’d continued down the road he was going, and not turned his life around, after he met Teresa, and gave up drinking when Lucy was born.

What a dramatic story! But it still had a happy ending (well not for the victim of the wagon crash), which I love, as I’m a sucker for happy endings. Thanks for writing this story. It’s so nice to read a Jake-centric story, as Jake is my second favourite character after Preston. I look forward to reading your other stories.

Is it ‘Jake’s Girl The Sequel’ that is the next story in your universe? I did have a quick skim through the titles, but I didn’t want to accidentally read any descriptions from later stories that might give something away.

NZLisaM chapter 8 . 10/22/2013
Whew! Looks like Lucy’s going to be okay. I love the part where Jake woke up to find Lucy cuddled up in his lap, and all your descriptions during that scene. And your symbolism of Jake’s relief over hearing Lucy breathing normally, as opposed to the night before when she wasn’t was well done!

Hee, hee, I love how Jake was admiring Teresa’s dishelveled hair, and Teresa’s blushing when Jake spoke what he was thinking.

Hmm … I wonder what the commotion is down the street, and why they need Dr. Mike?!

NZLisaM chapter 7 . 10/22/2013
Aww … I loved your descriptions of Jake and Teresa comforting each other. And, also how Hank offered them a table at the saloon. I’m pleased you’ve written their friendship back in as it did seem to deteriorate during Season 6 of DQ, and I hated that.

NZLisaM chapter 6 . 10/22/2013
‘Jake cracked the reins with a fury that had the horses flying across the road as if the hounds of hell were upon them.’ Ooh, I love this description – wow!

I like how you’re writing Hank as a good friend and support to Jake, and how he rushed to assist Michaela with her horse, so that she could attend to Lucy as quickly as possible.

Tumor of the nose! I wouldn’t have picked that. Very original! Thank goodness it is operable!

NZLisaM chapter 5 . 10/22/2013
‘"Just another portrait for the gallery," he'd said in his sly rakish manner.’ LOL. I love Hank’s piece of dialogue here. It definitely sounds like something he’d say in regards to acquiring an additional knife wound.

Good stalling tactic, by the way. Making this chapter from Michaela’s point of view, so us readers won’t get to find out how Lucy is, or what she’s suffering from until the next chapter! Or maybe not even the next chapter! I’ll have to read to find out, which I plan on doing right now.

NZLisaM chapter 4 . 10/22/2013
Actually, make that, I love all your descriptions of surroundings. I really feel like I’m there.

I didn’t mind the singing. I realise that Jake has sung that song when he’s been intoxicated in the past, so it would stir up some unpleasant memories for Teresa, but Lucy seemed to find it soothing, so that’s the main thing.

Oh no! Lucy’s illness is definitely more serious than I first thought. What an ending! Glad this story is finished, so I can just carry on reading!

NZLisaM chapter 3 . 10/22/2013
I was pleased to see Jake quickly forgive Teresa for jumping to conclusions over the laudanum; understanding that her main reason for accusing him was due to her worry over their daughter, and that her illness might be more serious than a migraine. Jake has come a long way since Season 1 of DQ, so it was fantastic to read. Great writing!

NZLisaM chapter 2 . 10/22/2013
I adore the descriptions of the Slicker homestead. It’s so great to see Jake have an actual home, rather than a room above a barbershop. And I can just picture Teresa working away in her own vegetable garden. Aside from Lucy’s illness, it’s great to see Jake and Teresa so settled and happy together, raising a daughter.

NZLisaM chapter 1 . 10/22/2013
Seeing Jake as a father was exactly what I wanted to see happen in the series, so I loved reading this. Coincidentally I also named Jake’s daughter Lucinda/Lucy in my Dr. Quinn universe as well. Except, I spelt it Lucie, as I have a character named Lucy with a ‘y’ in another fandom. It always made sense to me that Jake would name his daughter after his sister who died, so I was stoked to read that someone else feels the same way. You know what they say, great minds think alike!

I felt for poor little Lucy being diagnosed with a migraine, and how upset and helpless Jake felt over seeing his daughter in pain. I enjoyed reading the parts in Lucy’s point of view – that was a nice touch, and an interesting insight into her perspective.

Great first chapter!

ALC1 chapter 9 . 8/14/2013
What a great story! The ending was rivetingly suspenseful and I thought up until the very end that Jake was going to have to deal with a terrible loss. I very much enjoyed reading this. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
Maria chapter 9 . 10/27/2012
Great story, dramatical and sad. I liked to read something about Jake and his family. He is very seldom in any stories. Good to have this happy-end. I wouldn't have wanted Jake to loose his girl or his wife.
Snowbird forever chapter 9 . 10/26/2012
You got me so shocked and sad and practically yelling "No!" at the computer screen...and than Teresa showed up! My God, girl, you surely know how to build a suspense till the last line!

And the end is amazing.

"Ascending from the shadows of the stairwell, he felt the lightness that had been robbed of him. Jake would take his girls home. He would laugh with his daughter. He would admire his beautiful wife. And the next day, he would be all the more grateful."

With these lines, you showed the importance of life and how we should all be more grateful for things we have, people we have. Not loosing our minds and hearts over things and people that don't matter. Thank you for that.

And thank you for writing this story! I truly enjoyed your brilliant writing!
Snowbird forever chapter 8 . 10/26/2012
She is all right! Thank you! I was so worried!
But, I am wondering is it smart to take her home immediately? Don't know why, but I have a strange feeling, fear just doesn't leave me. I am still scared for Lucy.

Yet, I had to smirk at Jake talking about Teresa's hair, hehehehe, that was so sweet! :)
Snowbird forever chapter 7 . 10/26/2012
You nailed Jake's character just perfect; I can see him chuckling at the sight of Teresa in his coat, and than slapping himself for a small laughter because his daughter just may be dying and he laughed...This is so Jake - like. However, I am grateful that Teresa is there. He was always alone, you pointed it out so many times, hidden between the lines, I could read it. But, he won't be anymore.

Now, in my previous review, I said that I love how you write emotions, but also environment which makes a scene visible. You did it here again with these lines:

"The inky blackness of night gave way to the pinks and purples of the oncoming morning. The Cheshire moon was fading back into the abyss tugging along the sparkling stars. The town started to stir and yawn its way into the activities of everyday life."

Somebody else would write just "The sun rise and new day started, people are waking up" - and it would destroy the sight of a beautiful sunrise. This is something that definitely makes me your faithful reader!

Oh, dear...Lucy is okay? Is she? I have to read more of this NOW!
Snowbird forever chapter 6 . 10/26/2012
Oh my God, a tumor! Oh, i do hope that Mike can save Lucy! My heart ached for Jake and Teresa! I nearly started to cry when Hank said that he can't feel a pulse and Jake yelled "YOU'RE NOT A DOCTOR!" and than Teresa crying that her baby isn't dead...I have to tell you that no matter this is all so heartbreaking, I really am in awe of your writing. I hate when writers write only dialogues. You bring emotions in each chapter, but you also create a scene describing the environment and it makes it so easy for me to picture everything...Amazing writing!