Reviews for The Distance Between Them
Ravenclaw's ShadoWriter chapter 1 . 4/10/2015
okay okay I beg for a sequel or a second chapter. where oliver is done with his quidditch career and he goes to the ministry to get a sports job and he sees percy. all of their forgiving and they get their fluffy love back with both of them happy. the end
ferret assassin nin chapter 1 . 8/3/2013
This...this...wow, just...wow. It tore me to pieces. I feel like they could have made it work somehow. Like, they could have made a point to make each other spend more time. The two being apart is just...miserable and wrong and all sorts of tragic. Then again, perhaps it is for the better-better to end a relationship then to keep the other person miserable. :( Beautiful writing, just absolutely beautiful.

ferret nin

PS: Because of the ending of this fic, in my mind, both of them give up their careers; or, they meet up on the platform and Oliver and Percy remain friends; or, they find a way to make it work between them like they always have.
ReillyJade chapter 1 . 4/11/2013
Alright, this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I actually liked the way you ended this. I /liked/ that you had Percy and Oliver break up. Why? Because this sort of thing happens everyday, yet writers (especially fan fic writers) are always afraid to write it; the most they'll do is make it seem like it's going to happen, then one of the characters has a last-minute revelation and just really wants to work things out.

Thank you, thank you, /thank/ you for being brave enough to not do that.

This isn't to say the story didn't completely break my heart, of course; it most definitely did. Percy/Oliver isn't one of my favorite pairings, but I positively love both characters and it was terrible to see them so down. But this story was completely realistic; it sucks, but sometimes life just takes two people in completely different directions. I really appreciate your willingness to explore this without sugarcoating it in the slightest.

The only thing that threw me off a bit was “the Puddlemere.” The inclusion of “the” seems unnecessary, but that may just be a me-being-weird thing. That's a completely minor detail, though, and didn't take away from my enjoyment of the story. :)

Overall, you did a wonderful job with this! Excellent work!
slightlysmall chapter 1 . 1/3/2013
This is really sad, and despite not being a huge fan of OliverPercy, I think you write it well here. Their reasons for breaking up make sense and you wrote their emotions nicely. The present tense works well, too, which is hard to get right. There are a few typos/SPaG things, but they're minor. However, I'm not sure "the Puddlemere" is the way it would be said. While I would say that about most American teams, my Scottish husband refers to his football team by the name only - just "Celtic." But anyway, this was a lovely piece of writing. Great job!
WeasleySeeker chapter 1 . 10/10/2012
Okay, so I'll start by saying I'm not a Percy/Oliver shipper at all. But I still thought this was brilliant. There was so much emotion in this, and I could feel how much they clearly loved each other by knowing that the relationship wasn't working and letting go because they wanted the other to be happy more than anything. It seems very realistic - I think anyone in a relationship with someone like Oliver who has such big commitments on his time would feel the pressure, and I could feel Percy's pain in admitting it. I guess, not shipping the pairing or having any kind of headcanon for why they were together, I was slightly detached from the emotions I could have got from this, but it was incredibly well written and thought out!
verliebtindich chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
That was really bittersweet! The quote at the beginning of the story fitted perfectly well for this story. Where is it from?
I think your story was very well written. It was easy to follow Percy's and Oliver's thoughts and you also wrote the feelings they have very well. I really felt with Percy when he was lying in bed watching Oliver and I felt so sorry for both of them:(
Exceeds Expectations chapter 1 . 10/2/2012
Assfhklhdcbitcjk

I was in actual physical pain reading this. Because it's so sad and so perfect and it males /too much/ sense and, Sam, I can't handle this. I can't.

[Oliver will willingly give up Percy to make him happy because that's what love is about.]

NOBETOGETHERFOREVERPLEASE

Beautiful. Flawless.

Must go look for plasters to rebuild my shattered heart.
Ralinde chapter 1 . 10/2/2012
I love Percy/Audrey, but I like Percy/Oliver as well. Funny thing is, I actually read Assymmetry the other day and this would place perfectly somewhere before that.

It really was sad to see them breaking apart. It happens in the best of relationships when the two partners are too busy with their other occupations to spend time with their loved ones. Sad but true.
I like how Percy knows that Oliver corrects his little flaws. It was sad that all Percy wanted was for Oliver to fight for him and Oliver couldn't because he knew Percy would be unhappy. Even though that broke them apart, it still shows the love they held for each other.
keep my issues drawn chapter 1 . 10/2/2012
oh-kayyy.

wow so i'm crying over a pairing that i don't even ship. like, seriously. i told myself not to cry, but, obviously, i did anyway.

this oneshot is so beautiful! i've never really considered this pairing before, and it still doesn't really make much sense to me why they're together (maybe i should read more of oliver/percy to figure that out) but i still absolutely loved it. your writing style is absolutely beautiful and really brings the reader in.

i still can't believe they broke up D: great job, i loved this! :D
Someone aka Me chapter 1 . 10/1/2012
Oh.
My.
God.
You just made me cry.
Darling, do you KNOW how difficult it is to make me cry?
I don't. I just don't.
But this.
I'm honestly crying.
Oh, God. I don't know if I can handle it.
Seriously, read this while listening to Champagne's for Celebrating (I'll have a Martini) by Mayday Parade in the background. This fic and that song are just meant to be together.
Honestly, darling, if this is what Clara does when she clams up for a while, I wouldn't mind if she did that more often. This could quite possibly be my favorite story of all by you.

I think part of it was that I was just totally blindsided – as you well know, I ship P/O and Percy/Audrey, but I never really considered the fact that a moment like this has to happen for that to be possible.

Okay. Okay. I think I'm calm enough to give you a proper review now. I had to wander off and look at pictures of kittens for a while to un-sadden myself.

The beginning, I love – just the fact that Percy finds himself just checking that Oliver is breathing, confirming that he's still there, even as he knows what's coming. It just really /shows/ that he still loves him – Percy /shows/ his love, and Oliver /says/ his. And that's so in character for both of them – Oliver, the one who's never afraid to say what he feels, and Percy, who's better with logic than emotion, and finds emotion easier to /do/ than /say/.

The fact that Percy wants to ask Oliver to give up his job at Puddlemere (which, by the way, sounds rather strange with a "the" in front of it, in my opinion), and that Oliver would if he asks, but Percy can't ask because he knows how much Oliver loves his job and how selfish that would be – Gahhh. There are no words for how absolutely, utterly gorgeous that is.

"And maybe, just maybe he wants Oliver there all the time because Oliver makes him a better person."
OHMYGOD PERCY I FEEL YOU, SIR. I totally /get/ this side of Percy (because my RL John is like this for me), and I just LOVE the way you've expressed this so succinctly and then gone on to very specific examples that just illuminate it perfectly and I just yesyesyes.

"Closing his eyes and breathing in, Percy controls the urge just to lie. He wants to say everything is fine, but Oliver has always known when Percy lies, so he goes for the truthful answer. "
THIS. Because I totally see them like that – I see Percy as the type who can lie with a straight face, but Oliver just knows him so well that it doesn't matter how much Percy maintains the façade; Oliver just sees right through him.

"Because if Oliver protests, if Oliver says anything at all, then it makes it real. And Oliver doesn't want this to be real. He doesn't want to lose Percy."
My heart just broke for Oliver, right there. It's shattered. And it's all your fault. Are you happy, darling? Do you see what you're doing to me?

"And by the look in Percy's eyes, Oliver knows that Percy want him to fight for him. Percy wants Oliver to prove that Oliver wants the relationship as much as Percy does. /But Oliver isn't going to fight. As much as he wants this relationship, he won't force Percy to stay, to be unhappy because Oliver loves him too much for that. Oliver will willingly give up Percy to make him happy because that's what love is about." THIS IS WHERE I STARTED BAWLING LIKE A BABY. (Okay, yeah, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. But this /is/ where the tears started coming!)
OLIVER IS JUST SO DANG AMAZING. I want Percy to realise how freaking amazing he is and never, ever, ever let him go. C'mon, Perce! HOW DO YOU WALK AWAY FROM A MAN LIKE THAT?

Then there was a lot of *crycrycrycrycrycrycry* through Oliver's whole incredible speech and Percy's last-ditch protest even though he was the one who initiated the break-up which is so /sad/ and then Oliver just gently sets him straight and then OHMYGOSH PERCY APOLOGIZES AND THAT'S AGONIZING and more of Oliver being incredible and telling Percy he would've quit (and I've already mentioned how amazing /that/ is) and then the awkward what-now moment, and then THE END OH, THE END.
JKLJFLKDSJFLKSDJ.

Holy Crap.
That was a long review.
*coughs*
Um, yeah.
Can you tell I loved it?
'Cause I did.
Very, very, very, very much.