Reviews for In Their Footsteps, She Makes Her Way Alone
Sue Dooley chapter 1 . 9/12
Fantastic!
BooksDon'tJustTellStories chapter 1 . 12/1/2014
This really is amazing. I do a Jewish Studies module at college, and as a Christian I sometimes feel a little confused. I thought you channeled Tony's confusion with his affection for Ziva perfectly. It was so beautiful, I hope Tony returns one day...maybe even with Ziva? ;)
VG LittleBear chapter 1 . 2/12/2014
Hi, this is very insightful ... I was not comfortable with Ziva gaining USA citizenship prompted by wanting to work for NCIS. I believe she did find better reasons. Typical DiNozzo wanting to cover all bases :) caring and sweet.
Thanks and cheers!
Josette1807 chapter 1 . 1/24/2014
A very good and interesting view of Ziva becoming a citizen.
flootzavut chapter 1 . 5/5/2013
For another outside viewpoint - as a Brit, and even having had some idea of the kind of hoops a person has to go through to become an American citizen - I was surprised by some of the things Ziva was expected to swear and renounce.

Apparently we're not nearly so fussy - from what I can glean, the requirements we place on would be citizens don't expect much more than the average Brit actually knows without much effort, and the oath (or affirmation, one or the other) and pledge that is required is as follows:

Oath of allegiance

I (name) swear by Almighty God that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

Affirmation of allegiance

I (name) do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

Pledge

I will give my loyalty to the United Kingdom and respect its rights and freedoms. I will uphold its democratic values. I will observe its laws faithfully and fulfil my duties and obligations as a British citizen.

I couldn't help thinking that I would have paused, had I been in Ziva's position, so it was very interesting to read a fic addressing that. The renouncing of allegiances and declaring that one has no mental reservation both, for some reason, rub me the wrong way. It was a very intriguing storyline to me, I rather wished they'd looked into it more deeply, though I can understand why it wouldn't be their biggest priority!
jsq chapter 1 . 12/11/2012
I'm terribly behind in my reading, but I'm so glad I had this story saved. It was really lovely. I'm so glad someone dealt with what it truly means for Ziva to give up her country. Very nicely done.
mon-petit-pois chapter 1 . 12/10/2012
Wow, this was not what I was expecting a all. But i loved it! Such an original take! Amazing work.
diana teo chapter 1 . 10/1/2012
I wish they could show Tony more like this on the show. I know the characters have to change a bit over the years but the remarks exchanged between the characters seem to have a sharper tinge nowadays. *sigh*...
Mari83 chapter 1 . 10/1/2012
I love the title. It is very Ziva, in a way. A strong sense of where she came from, but at the same time alone in what she has to do.

As others have said, this is the Tony we should have gotten to see in S7 (or in general). Thoughtful and concerned, and doing something useful and considerate with his concern instead of taking it out on his coworkers.

I love your original characters here. (And the community center too, you made it come alive with the people and history) The father and son rabbi couple, of course, but especially Mr. Benz. He's the kind of guy who would be anxious and concerned over every new face, but once past that, takes you as part of his world. I'm glad he has Ben and his father looking out for him.

"he is still here. I do not trust him, Rabbi; he seems unsettled and, whatever he is, he is not a Jew and not an historian – I know the look of each, and he is neither."
Well, unsettled he is...

"Tony – you've been here several times in the past couple weeks, I've heard. You've probably noticed that not too many people come here anymore, mostly just retirees or maybe some kids from the local yeshiva, working on a project for class. Right?"
It's very telling for the different way in which Tony grew up that, despite being so observing of his surroundings, it did not cross his mind that strangers might be seen as a threat.

"Ben looked again at the card and, cocking his head with sudden insight, said, "Eli David's daughter."
Tony's eyebrows went up. "You know him?"
"Me? No. Just from the news. I know the name and who he is. I read somewhere that his daughter was working here in town with one of our agencies, but I couldn't remember which. It's NCIS, then?"
Oh, this is great! Makes a lot of sense and just underscores the dimension of her decision. She's not just an ordinary person wanting to live in the US, making a private decision, but with her father and her previous position it's a noteworthy political decision too. Wonder whether her taking US citizenship would make the news, too...

"I think she's just doing it so she can keep working where she is, and maybe ... to renounce her father. Not her country... and not her culture. I don't think she would ever renounce Israel unless she had to."
Yes, of course, they are complicated, but in the scheme of things ... not so different than other Jews who fled their homeland over many generations because of political difficulties. For better or worse, it's a part of who we are."

I really like how they both have a point. Tony being upset over the injustice of Ziva having to leave behind so much in what Tony perceives as a personal decision, Ben pointing out that not only she's not the first making such a decision, but that it's actually as much part of her cultural heritage than living in Israel.

Thanks for this. Great addition to the show's (many) missed moments and your expansion of OCs and places.
Zivatjl12 chapter 1 . 10/1/2012
Thank you for this story. I really enjoyed it-will it continue? Thanks again.
megamom2 chapter 1 . 9/30/2012
Really interesting and thought provoking! I enjoyed your original characters.
pia chapter 1 . 9/30/2012
this is the BEST piece i've had the delight to read, in a while. it's so in character to something tony would so, without the team and ziva knowing. i hope that you make it a multi chapter. thanks for sharing!
Phosphorescent chapter 1 . 9/30/2012
You've treated your subject matter with sensitivity and respect. Furthermore, both Mr. Benz and Ben are wonderful, fully-realized OCs; you really have a gift for creating "living" characters. And I love your explanation as to why Tony didn't seem entirely supportive of Ziva's quest for US citizenship. Finally, as a T/Z shipper, I adored the subtle (and not so subtle) bits of T/Zness scattered throughout this piece. Thank you for sharing this story with us!
KaiaBlackrock chapter 1 . 9/30/2012
I loved this. Honestly, I absolutely love the way you write Tony in general, even though the internal monologue here is the rabbi's rather than his.
M E Wofford chapter 1 . 9/30/2012
This was a wonderful story and something I hadn't even realized I needed until I read it.

YES, it does help feel in some of the empty spaces for S7 and it kind of explains why Tony was so negative sometimes when it came to Ziva's quest for citizenship.

Thank you. Thank you.

Loved Rabbi Ben. He's a great character.
I hope he and Tony can get back together and talk again someday.
Or perhaps the Rabbi can meet Ziva.

(hint, hint...)