Reviews for Against the Odds
sarsha008 chapter 1 . 10/7/2014
Omigawd... that was the CUTEST thing EVER! Thanks for writing! :D
nequam-tenshi chapter 1 . 7/20/2014
I truly like how natural the characterization is for the characters and how everything comes together. Wonderful job!
DobbyLovesSocks chapter 1 . 2/14/2014
Hi can you stop making me ship perciver so hard because nope
PERCIVER
I love how your Percy is still completely in character but you make him much more fun when he's around Oliver, which makes sense, because no one can be THAT boring all the time, right? ;)

This fic made me laugh out loud a couple of times (the Fred and George part was completely and utterly perfect can I just) and "Besides, even Potter'd be a shit Seeker dead" was just such a brilliant line and so /Oliver/.

and the perfect balance of feels vs humour was perfect, and Oliver's anger when he thought Percy had been "disgusted" was, again, so in character because it's not something he SHOULD be angry about, but he WOULD because he's Oliver Wood and that's how he works. That's also why I liked that your Oliver is very touchy-feely, because... he's a hardcore Quidditch player, human contact is natural to him.

This was adorable, funny, and just overall, it was pretty much perfect. I loved this, and I'm starting to really love Perciver.
writhen heart chapter 1 . 12/18/2013
God, I can see why you won all those awards. You damn well deserved them! This was just perfect. Characterisation was spot on, the flow and pacing was expertly done and the EMOTIONS were mindblowing! And heart-wrenching.
ferret assassin nin chapter 1 . 8/3/2013
Aw...this just filled my heart up with joy and warmth and happiness and everything in between. I don't know why JK Rowling thought they weren't the perfect couple, but then again...I guess it's sort of keeping in Percy's personality. What really makes Perciver story different from other ones is that it's established that Oliver gets to see the side of Percy no one else gets to, that Percy truly is not an arrogant jerk that the books proclaim. I always knew there was more to Percy and that little bit in the Great Hall where Percy's making sure students are sleeping and Oliver is watching Percy like a hawk just to keep him grounded is just...Gywa! Sooooooo sweet and fluffly and lovable! XD I love the last line, though. "We'll be okay." Despite the overwhelming lack of evidence, Percy believes him. It is just so perfect between them. It truly is.

ferret nin
MaxRide05 chapter 1 . 7/23/2013
I loved this. Really, I did. Just starting to get into this pairing, and this fic is a brilliant start.
Nahara101 chapter 1 . 6/8/2013
I really loved that! Very well written :)

However, it really bothered my that Fred and George cut it. It seemed more like an excuse to use the twins then actually essential too plot, it kind of deterred from the actual story. I actually dismissed that whole scene entirely from my head and worked of the assumption that Percy went after Oliver on his own accord. I don't know why, but the twins' interference really bothered me.

Still lovely story, even if that one bit didn't really work!
Ralinde chapter 1 . 3/17/2013
Oh my God, this was utterly perfect! Your realisations were spot on and I loved - loved - loved! your Percy. He's one of my favourite characters and though I ship him with Audrey like crazy, I definitely think there is a love conflict between PercyOliver and CharlieOliver / PercyAudrey (meaning that I can definitely picture and also love all three combinations). I think you built this up wonderfully, showing the friendship that was all the time balancing on the thin line between friendship and love but never quite going over it even though it lingered in between them. Their kiss was amazing. The twins interfering and the way they had placed bets with Charlie about whether or not Percy was in love with Oliver were priceless. *goes to favourite*
ReillyJade chapter 1 . 3/2/2013
Merlin, I suck for taking so long to find this review in my folders. Written forever ago, got lost then found, and posting now. Whoops! Sorry for the delay! :p

Anyway, onto the actual review...

First things first: congratulations on getting so many votes in the Fic Exchange! Each title you claimed was very well deserved. Bravo!

The most striking thing about this was the characterization. There's such a clear, stark contrast between Percy and Oliver that they balance the scale perfectly. It's why they work. They're the perfect blend of dreamer and realist, of plan ahead and “just wing it,” of anxious and excited, of studious and fun-loving. At numerous points throughout the piece, they each show each other to enjoy the aspects of life to which they aren't so inclined to, which is fantastic. I'll occasionally see Percy/Oliver fics that /only/ show Oliver making Percy “better and less boring,” which irritates me. It's nice to see them balanced out for a change without ever changing who they really are at heart.

I think what makes this so likeable is that, in a way, we're seeing Percy from Oliver's point of view. As you said, Oliver's the only one who really “gets” Percy; it's nice to see him through the eyes of someone who actually likes him instead of someone who doesn't think too highly of him (Harry.) I'll be truthful and say Percy's generally not a character I deliberately go looking for in fan fiction stories, but I really did enjoy reading about him in this, and pretty much any other of your Percy-centric stories, really.

Fred and George... bless their hearts. You got them spot-on. Enough said. XD

And damn it. I love Percy/Audrey to pieces, but every time I read one of your Percy/Oliver fics, you make me wish they hadn't gotten married. Argh! Internal fangirl conflict! :p But I suppose it's alright to like both.

My only critique comes in at the end. There's an instance where who's saying/thinking what is a little confusing. In the paragraph starting with “He doesn't want to disrupt the peace...”, I thought the “he” in this was Oliver because in the sentence preceding that, Oliver was mentioned by name. However, with the few lines of both dialogue and description that follow, it seems that it was actually Percy's thoughts you were describing in that paragraph, not Oliver's. Perhaps make that a little more clear? (If I'm not making any sense, I truly apologize. It's kinda hard to explain haha.)

This was absolutely gorgeous overall. Kudos for a magnificent piece!
ithasgottentootedious chapter 1 . 1/29/2013
I love this, I really love this. But, I can help thinking how young the Trio is! Aw gosh. This was absolutely great, thanks.
whirlwinds of watercolours chapter 1 . 1/19/2013
This is... this is...

/speechlessness

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT KAY.

I like how the relationship starts off as nothing more than a friendship and slowly develops through the fic. And even though I sort of ship Katie/Oliver and Percy/Audrey I LIKE THIS FIC TOO AND IT'S YOUR FAULT I SORT OF LIKE SLASH NOW.

uhm.

So anyway, I love the characterisations of Percy and Oliver and the twins - oh, the twins - and how the plot fits into canon. Excellent job with this!
Couture Girl chapter 1 . 1/15/2013
I'm actually smiling like crazy, I never understood this pairing but you my dear have clearly made me understand and love them. You wrote them so well, it's wonderful. Percy, you made him so in character but at the same time got to see this other side of him that /only/ Oliver sees, which is playful, cheeky and just a relaxed Percy. I loved that you put that here! And Oliver-completley in character! The Quidditch obsessed and he being the one to kiss Percy, which I liked, not in a million years Percy would have made the first step. The flow was excellent, you showed us how they are as friends to how they are as a couple, that mostly was why I liked this pairing, it wasn't fast nor it wasn't quiet slow, Merlin, Percy had been in love with Oliver for two and half years n_n Another thing I just loved about this was Fred and George *hugs them* finishing their sentences and making Percy realize that he /is/ in love with Oliver and telling him he had bad taste and that Percy had always been not normal, it was hilarious and very much the twins. I have nothing else to say just that it was excellent and wonderful, a lovely job on this :)

Much love!

C.G.
slightlysmall chapter 1 . 1/11/2013
OK - full disclosure: I'm not a huge slash fan, and Percy/Oliver doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

That aside, I thought this was brilliantly written and well characterized. You did a fabulous job. I especially love the twins' role in the whole thing. You build everything up well, giving us just enough hints that Oliver returns the feelings, and Percy's kiss leading to Oliver's shock was a great turn-around. I really enjoyed this. Great work!
00982374-deactivated chapter 1 . 1/9/2013
Honestly, I've never really been one for slash. I don't think I've ever read this pairing before, or maybe I have and it's slipped my mind, but I loved this so very much. It has such depth to it, the characterizations are spot on and agh, it's perfect. I love how we see another side to Percy in this, as Oliver calls it, "his cheeky Percy". It shows that he's not all uptight and stuck-up to the ones that he's close to which is rather realistic when you think about it. And Oliver. When he kissed Percy I had to have a little "aw" moment because it was just lovely before Oliver stormed off. And the twins, you've captured their character so well. Finishing each others' lines, betting against Charlie, and being really accepting that he was gay. Then when Percy went to talk to Oliver, the tension there was so thick and so was the angst and asdfghjkl it was PERFECTAMAZINGBEAUTIFUL. Then came some fluff which is always nice after reading angst :) And then the ending section...Percy's thoughts are so Percy and Oliver is being Oliver and agh so amazing. Finally, the ending line... [Despite the overwhelming lack of evidence, Percy believes him.] IT'S PERFECT. YOU'RE PERFECT. THIS WHOLE PIECE IS PERFECT.

hearts&fave.
silver-nightstorm chapter 1 . 1/8/2013
Oh, wow, amazing! I officially like this pairing now, well done :D It hasn't been added to my headcanon as a romance yet (sadly, I don't picture Percy gay) but their friendship is definitely headcanon for me now, so awesomely well done :D I really loved this and the pacing was fabulously wonderful. Really awesome job! :D