Reviews for Gray is Nothing but Perception
Madame Mermaid chapter 1 . 5/27/2013
Hola, there,
wow! First of all, thank you for giving me what I needed just now - a fanfic discussing non-attachment, which is what I am going to be holding a presentation on, more or less, in two days time, when discussing Horace's VI. epistle in his first book of epistles (if you're interested in that, I recommend the Oxford World's Classics translation). Its topic is the Stoic/Epicurean (let's just say Hellenistic) idea of ataraxia/apatheia, i.e. serenity by detachment/non-attachment. It's still incredible for me to see how much the Jedi Code parallels those philosophies, and you've managed to summarise it wonderfully. Thus, thank you!
You've also managed, in your three last lines, to encompass the true problem of that idea, and whether attachment is really something to be considered bad. I'm still dealing with that question myself, and it's been brought up again by my presentation - thus, I thank you for not trying to answer that question, but just letting it stand, all problems and difficulties included.
And now let's get back to Prezi... All the best,

mylady phoenix
Guest chapter 1 . 10/2/2012
We are guardians, watchers, protectors, preservers of knowledge, peace, and life. We must set ourselves above the murky emotions those who indulge in their passions. Our judgment cannot be compromised, for if our judgment is compromised, our actions become clouded. Our intentions become clouded, selfish. We might act for the good of one, not the good of all, and cause damage that would have great effects in doing so.

The truth is, a Force-user without morals, without discipline, who acts on emotional impulses in order to protect certain people is a wild life form without reason who is a danger to those around them. They are not Jedi, but destroyers of balance, of harmony, of peace.

I believe in the Jedi Way with every breath I take, with every beat of my heart. If I am not detached, I cannot act in the good of the whole. I would try to heal, only to see it wound. I would try to defend, only to destroy. I would try to save, only to break beyond compare.

**What an beautiful self-analysis of a "true believer." But even a true believer cannot control his/her heart - now our Jedi needs to accept love but let it become unconditional and not the center of his/her life.
Queen chapter 1 . 10/2/2012
That was an amazing intro! Just love how you spend so much time building up this certainty that the Jedi way is right, not just in general, but on a personal level for this person - and then discussing how they have betrayed themselves in a sense by going against what they believe.

Very intriguing!
laloga chapter 1 . 10/2/2012
Lovely work! Fantastic job showing the conflicting emotions of the narrator, clearly torn between duty and desire. Personally, I feel that love and attachment are not the same thing, that you can love someone without letting that love rule your entire life, but it makes sense that a Jedi would not think that way.

Though "only Sith deal in absolutes," I feel that the Jedi Code is a string of them; Yoda's "do or do not, there is no try," quote is in a similar vein. As a Jedi, it's black or white, good or bad, one or the other. Never both, never a shade of gray in between. It's quite sad, really, because while I agree that the Jedi should be aware of the harm their power can do, I don't think they should be forbidden from companionship or love. I don't think that shutting them off from good things like that is healthy. The last line of this piece confirms that; by all accounts, the narrator is a good, dutiful Jedi...but s/he thinks to have "failed" the Code, somehow, by falling in love.

This is not a healthy attitude to have. It's not a critique of your writing, but rather the Code itself, and the idea that it's a strict set of laws that must be followed. The thing is, there *is* emotion. It's impossible to banish it. However, there is *also* peace, when one comes to terms with their emotions. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Wonderful one-shot! Very thought-provoking and *very* well written! :D