Reviews for Deliver Us from Evil, Part II: The Road to Reichenbach
Emily-Of-Midgard chapter 3 . 8/12/2013
Hello!

I think you nailed Moriarty here. He can be a hard character to write because he has to be a criminal mastermind...but he also has a sense of elegance and intelligence to him. Something that really stood out to me was how he interpreted the Mona Lisa. Of course he WOULD see her expression as mocking the world around her.

Moran was also great too. No complaints there.

Awesome chapter!
Emily-Of-Midgard chapter 2 . 8/12/2013
I'm really not a very good reviewer so I apologize for having this up so late. I tend to read fanfic on my ipod and it's hard to review on that thing...so I don't. XD However, I really love this series so I figure better late than never.

Anyways, this was a really good chapter. I love Lestrade (and the Yarders) and I love Holmes so interactions between those two are always great. I also really loved the meeting of Holmes and Patterson. It really was a great way to do it. Now I'm curious to exactly what happened to Patterson.

I really don't have anything critical because I thought it was great to say so I'll just end the review here!
Madam'zelleGiry chapter 3 . 8/4/2013
Yay, I totally see what you did there! Yay! Of course we had to reference the Mona Lisa. Granada knew what it was doing when that scene was put there! Going to have to go back and watch that now...

It certainly does serve as a perfect backdrop for the scene in question. I just love the way that you always manage to capture the feeling of the literature so well. I mean, it's one thing to be able to write a good plot for this fandom, but it's completely different to be able to make the reader so immersed in the world that this takes place in. Everything just drips with the era, and I have a hard time articulating how awesome that really is. It's something that always amazes me with every chapter of yours that I've ever read, and I have to say that I'm bloody jealous. One of these days I'll figure out how to merge my journal-style narrative with something that makes it seem this *real*.

It made me smile when Moran was musing quietly about the painting. He may be a first class bad guy, but at least he has respect for art galleries! ;)

I did almost wonder if you were going to have a true confrontation between detective and professor, but I think that the way you did it has all the more power, really. I liked the little detail about Holmes deliberately showing strength when he walked as much under his own power as he could. Just to show Moriarty that he hasn't won yet. He's nowhere near beaten.

Really lovely chapter, my dear. Looking forward to the next!

Cheers, love!
SheWhoScrawls chapter 3 . 3/6/2013
Ooh! Fascinating installment! I do see what you did there, and I loved it!

I enjoy the way you portray Moran, it's utterly amazing.

This might sound gushy, but I REALLY want to write the way you do.

Hmm... Holmes is ancestrally from France, he might be taking care of some family business.

I did intend for this review to be longer, but I'm happy I got to it this week, at least.

Hope college is going well!

-SWS
Ennui Enigma chapter 3 . 3/6/2013
An excellent depiction here. The Mona Lisa smile to start this chapter is perfect! I enjoyed the delve into Moran versus Moriarty's psyche. Begins to deepen their characters.

Another enjoyable addition to the story. Definitely staying tuned for more :-)
aragonite chapter 3 . 3/5/2013
And my inner geek is giggling like a loon fresh out of Dartmoor. Because I loved the Granada scene of Holmes and the Mona Lisa, and I was thinking of that the whole time! Ergh. My childhood was scarred for life at that episode and the death scene at the falls...beautifully done and a great tie-in!
Historian1912 chapter 3 . 3/5/2013
Glad to see another chapter from you. Short but good. If your research specifically involves history I'm more than willing to live up to my screenname. If its Holmes-specific I'm afraid I can't help you. The differences in Moriarty and Moran's thought processes were definitely interesting. Hope ot see more soon.

God bless,

Historian1912
Azolean chapter 2 . 2/18/2013
This was a wonderful scene, and the characters were so well-portrayed! I loved every line of it. It never ceases to amaze me how well you capture the characters, all of them.

I love the play between Patterson and Holmes and how Holmes is seeing a part of himself that he could become under the right circumstances.

"...and his ice-blue eyes were jaded in a way that Holmes suddenly hoped never to achieve."

Probably one of my favorite lines in this. And, despite the superficial similarities, so very brilliantly illustrates the difference between the two men.

Thank you again for all the hard work and time you put into these. I hope to not have to wait another eternity for an update! ;) Not that I really have any right to say much at this point, but...

And, sorry to hear about NaNo. Mine did the opposite and is still torturing me months later. I'm ready to say you're the lucky one. lol

I can't wait to see more. I hope life isn't too hectic for you. Would love some more when you have time.
Madam'zelleGiry chapter 2 . 2/15/2013
"Sherlock Holmes supported his weight on his walking stick." I really like this way of starting us off. At first glance, it seems like a simple, sort of uninteresting beginning. But then we transition into the next line and BOOM we are back into the world of Mortality. All of the feels from the last story are back, and we are reminded very strongly of his condition at this point. Sometimes simplicity is the best option, and this is most definitely the case here. Most effective and an excellent choice on your part.

"Hopkins being particularly effusive." Ahaha... it must be pure coincidence that I've been playing around with Hopkins for my sequel piece. Gosh, he's fun!

The dodging dialogue between Lestrade and Holmes was really a joy to read. I appreciate the fact that they aren't being open about what happened because it only makes sense for them to do so. Their relationship is constant; they can see a certain amount of each other's true meaning, but they are still distant in a way. It's a very complex thing, and we just get a lovely scraping example of that here. There are literally so many different possibilities for these characters.

"Remarkable was far too mild a word for it, and incredible too cliché." And that certainly is the truth!

"Daniel Patterson nearly resembled Sherlock Holmes enough to be his twin." It's Jeremy Brett in the flesh! Jeremy Brett meets Holmes... I'm sensing a spinoff from this! Okay, I'll stop now. ;)

I've been looking forward to a chat between Holmes and Patterson and this was pretty awesome, I must say. He is definitely a match for Holmes' intellect! Just... really awesome interactions. I'm loving it!

"He was afraid of Moriarty." The impact of this... another instance where simplicity is absolutely amazing. Holmes really does have an understanding with Patterson at this point, even despite the fact that they might not get along otherwise. He recognizes the hand of Moriarty in this. I love the commentary about the fact that he is feeling old. I wonder if these two characters who have gone through something so terrible will be able to help each other. Will they let each other, that it the real question here.

Really excellent chapter, my darling. I'm excited to learn more about France (aahh, no Mona Lisa? You liiee!) and just excited to sink my teeth into a new story from you! You're doing amazing, so keep up the great work. Eagerly awaiting the next chapter!

Cheers!
Madam'zelleGiry chapter 1 . 2/15/2013
I am a terrible person for not getting to this sooner. Just saying. Also, I haven't forgotten the crossover with Ria. I'm just an insanely busy college student. :/

Anyway.

There's an interesting tone to this prologue. It runs along the same lines as Mortality as far as tone, but there is still something that I can't quite put my finger on that gives this piece a voice of its own. Two styles merging into one, so to speak.

Your Holmes voice is perfect, as always. I always love taking lines from canon and adding a personal touch; God knows I did plenty of that during the Christmas challenge! I think that you found just the right balance of words. Just the right amount of canon to really make Holmes' internal dialogue flow like a river. Honestly, if I hadn't recognized the bits from canon, I probably wouldn't have guessed that they didn't belong to you. Yay for making everything flow together seamlessly!

Super excited to have started the story officially! I love this prologue, and I'm going to eagerly dive into the story now. And, as always, my mental powers are at your disposal when you need them. Plus, I'm actually working on Ghost Map's sequel again for you. Woohoo for getting off the Hiatus! Well done and keep up the great work, my love!

Cheers!
Ennui Enigma chapter 2 . 2/5/2013
Beautiful work here! Your polishing has served to produce a shining gem of a chapter. I am quite taken with the way you describe Patterson. Your description of him is thorough and detailed. I am thoroughly intrigued. Look forward to seeing how he continues to interact with Holmes!

"France is as French as Great Britain is British," Holmes said drily, "and that is all that I have to say upon the matter." - I just love this line. Great wit! LOL!

"Patterson's great intellect was readily apparent—in fact, it was radiant. Holmes was forced to recant on his opinion of Gregson as the Yard's cleverest man. Gregson was bright, sharp, and quite showy about it, while Patterson's brilliance was quiet, veiled, and all the more powerful for it. That had been one of the two factors which had startled Holmes. The other was far more obvious. " - beautiful description that only continues as we continue the chapter.
SheWhoScrawls chapter 2 . 2/3/2013
Oh, what a brilliant chapter! I adore the ominous background entwined with a vein of humor.

"France is as French as Great Britain is British." Oh my goodness, what a terrific line, and so very like the sardonic nature of a worn out Holmes!

I really like Holmes' reaction when faced with his doppelganger. Remarkable and incredible, although over-used, would most likely be all that would come to my mind.

"Every child born to those policemen wants his father to come home." Awww, what a lovely line to come from our own dear Lestrade. I so wanted to hug him.

"To every man, after all, comes a time to die." What a great last line! Excellent foreshadowing there.

All in all, I am thoroughly impressed by this chapter, as I have been with every installment in this series. I have never not been on the edge of my seat, and you've kept me laughing and crying and anxiously pacing along with our beloved characters. I have to say that you are one of my main role models on this site. I would LOVE to have a talent like yours.

Jumping for joy in anticipation of more!

-SWS
Natali chapter 2 . 2/2/2013
This is great! Excuse me, my English isnt enough good, but I enjoyed it very much. I saw Holmes/Jeremy Brett while i was reading your work. Thank you. Cant wait the next chapter.
Good luck!
Aragonite chapter 2 . 1/29/2013
This left me breathless. Literally. And I'm on the virutal edge of my computer seat.
Natali chapter 1 . 1/2/2013
I cannot wait to see more of this. When we shall have a next chapter?