Reviews for A Grim Tale of Reapers
Hikari-J chapter 37 . 2/14/2020
I do like this, it’s an incredibly good fanfic, tet...

Where is Ichigo’s Hollow, I get that Zangetsu never attacked his mother but it’s such an essential struggle for his character, that I don’t know what exactly you have planned for him.

I get that you are focusing on the power play between Gotei and Aizen, Ichigo being only a “piece”, but I just don’t like seeing him so... Useless maybe ?
Okyptos chapter 11 . 10/8/2019
Weeeeeeellll you said that this was bleach story as it could have been, and i was really excited but so far i am not seeing anything thats different and useful. Tatsuki beckming a shinigami was a waste, literally. You could have removed her and kept Chad, and make Kisuke train him, since he had much more contribution to the story than Tatsuki.

Another thing id like to point out is i do not know if you have read the manga, but giving Ichigo an Asauchi has to cause the true form of his zanpakuto to be manifested(the double handed style) not the usual zangetsu( butcher knife) that was conceived by the Quincy part of him.
All in all a good story, but not so different from canon so far(in a useful way).
corjca1 chapter 22 . 9/24/2019
anyone knows of heaven theres actually 7 and the poor go there and the rich burn in hell with lucifer anounce anounce satan and hi works and his ways
corjca1 chapter 21 . 9/24/2019
her brother a piece of shit kill his sister distroy his soul then hell do a cowardly act kill himself so hell reborn well hes the one should be distroyed dirty no good cunt burn in hell
corjca1 chapter 20 . 9/23/2019
fucking cock suckers fuck the law
corjca1 chapter 18 . 9/23/2019
no good father a dogs whores bastard tal 3281
corjca1 chapter 17 . 9/23/2019
whats the idea making ichigow getting beat you cunt turned him into a fucking faggot not a man
corjca1 chapter 10 . 9/23/2019
you made him into a shithouse a cowardly soul not worth saving a waste of spunk from his dads loins lol
corjca1 chapter 7 . 9/22/2019
i would put my mancunnian irish fenian fist out through one side of head to the other the blind four eyed bastard shove his dick up his arse the cunt
Vertius chapter 1 . 2/22/2019
Ah, I get it, this is a 'let's bash Ichigo story and make Tatsuki unrealistically strong, and more so a Shinigami when it's literally impossible for her to be one.'

Dropped.
Vertius chapter 2 . 2/22/2019
Chad's importance in the story is non-existent? Well then why is Inoue here still? lol. I really hope you aren't one of those author's who believes Aizen little spiel about her powers encroaching on God's territory and plan to make her overpowered in this.

Anyways, it's excellent so far so I'll keep going, but I'm wary.
BacktoBachus chapter 17 . 2/21/2019
Kun is a male pronoun that wouldn't be used for a young woman. Aizen likely would have just used San, or dropped the honorific entirely to show familiarity with Momo. Also while okayata does roughky translate as 'master' contextually it comes from the root oya which means father. It is more meant for a master apprentice relationship where the naster becomes a parental figure guiding the apprentice. Orihime and Byakuya's servant would likely have used used 'family name-sama' to indicate deference.
goku2134 chapter 37 . 2/20/2019
Great story great concept really hope you update soon :)
silverspetz chapter 37 . 9/6/2018
(Sigh) I actually had to write this review twice because my computer logged me out the first time. Oh well.

I have read the whole story from start to finish now and I have a better grasp of it as a whole. It is a deeply engaging and interesting variation on the source material and well worth reading for anyone. However, if the goal was to make something definitely better then it falls a bit short.

Things I liked:
Ichigo's new age and general situation. Leaning into his protector role by making him a provider was a smart move.
Masaki as the primary parent of the family. Her conversation with Rukia early on was a big highlight and she gives Ichigo something more to ground his animosity towards the Gotei.
Tatsuki's expanded role. She works really well as both a compliment and foil to Ichigo. Good use of a character.
Orihime's new role as the "wise one" on the team. I especially like how some of her moral standpoints are not presented as naivité that she needs to grow out of but intelligent and logical stances. Given the tone of the story at large I was expecting the opposite. Kudos.
Your technical skill with writing. You are quite good at the nuts and bolts of this. Exposition and dialogue are both distinct and so are the speech patterns of diffent characters. You hava a pretty nuanced and eloquent vocabulary to boot.
The decission to adress the faschist tendencies of the Gotei 13. I do have a few problems with how you do this which I will get to in a second, but this feels like a big missed opportunity for the source material and it is good to see you pick it up.
The team battles. While I'm not too fond of the way you have nerfed every character, I do appreciate that we get some well-coordinated team fights out of it instead.
Having Hinamori follow Aizen. This feels like a straight up improvement on how her character is used. She provides a perspective that helps to humanize both Aizen and the arrancar.

What I DIDN'T like:
Some wasted characters and opportunities in the name of tragedy and "realism". This is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be when I started reading though.
A lot of the ways you "fix" parts of the story. I know a dislike of shounen-tropes was part of the description at the beginning, but I find most of your alternatives pretty dull. Particularly the way Tatsuki and Ichigo regain their shinigami powers, and Ishida's new powerup was just a ripoff of FMA and a Hellsing-reference.
The theme of addressing the cruelty of Soul Society is starting to feel a bit...unfocused. I am a bit hesitant to put this up here because you are obviously leading up to something, but you are doing a lot of false equivalence with things like "this is war" and "from their perspective they are terrorists". This would probably not bother me so much if it wasn't for a few other factors playing into this. Speaking of which:
The constant Shinigami-wank. It is getting pretty tiresome to hear how superior shinigami are to "mere" humans. Aside from how pretentious it sounds it is honestly starting to hurt your theme because instead of CHALLENGING this superiority-complex that shinigami have , which in turn tells them that they are justified in everything they do, the story just REINFORCES how much better they are. The fact that Ichigo has been nerfed of most of his powers and according to your notes, is only going to get LESS important to the story, means that you are effectively in danger of losing the only character who actively stands up against them besides Aizen. Even Urahara takes it for granted that no human is ever going to be that special. Which leads us to:
Urahara's more sinister character. At first I was really excited about the prospect of Urahara actually plotting against Soul Society, but then it became more and more clear that his likability and genuine care for people is pretty much nonexistent here. This Urahara hasn't given anyone any reason to think he will be any better than the Central 46 if he takes power. He is completely selfish in his motivations and honestly treats even his "close friends" pretty badly. It feels like this is just building up to a "every side is bad" reveal and if Ichigo and friends are really going to remain unimportant to the larger conflict then that just feels like a waste of this entire theme.
Finally, and this is really more of a pet-peeve of mine, but PLEASE stop using Japanese terms where they don't fit. Names of people, places and things are fine, but I draw the line at keeping titles in Japanese when "captain", "vice-captain" and "captain-commander" are all perfectly serviceable translations. Titles doesn't mesh well with English syntax because you often have to combine them with names, leading to situations where you switch from English to Japanese word-order mid-sentence. As a linguist it physically pains me to read these sentences.

I really want to stress that this is an awesome story, and you really blew all my expectations out of the water. I will definitely keep an eye on this one from now on.
silverspetz chapter 2 . 9/2/2018
Not really an excuse to kill him off in my opinion. Having colorful extras never harms a story even if you just decided to never give him powers. I also don't see how it could possibly be that hard to give him at least as much importance as Ishida or Renji has in canon with a few rewrites. It's just a giant waste, which is kind of what I was afraid of when I started reading this.