Reviews for Small Miracles
Guest chapter 1 . 11/1/2012
Teobi, how did you come up with these song titles? They're hilarious!

That said, I like these stories where Gilligan is out on his own pondering life and its miracles. Nothing gets him down for long - always happy to see him work things out in that special way of his and get back to being just who his is, air-drumming away to 'Who Needs the Moon When I've Got Stars In My Eyes'! I can just imagine what that song would sound like as there are some Beatles and Stones fans in my family.

Lovely little one-shot - so happy you posted it! And sorry to be so late with a review. Meant to post ages ago and thought I had, but there you go...sieve for brains, me! :)
Jwood201 chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
Hey boo. I want to review before I pass out after The Longest Day In The World. (TM).

This will be an iPod review and I'm sorry.

I loved this, really. It was beautiful and it really brightened up my week.

Loved G's interaction w the animals. Loved the certain song name. Hilarious. Loved MA's thoughts about his eyes and the fact that she told him this! I bet he got squirmy at first but he remembers it now. I bet he loves remembering that moment.

All in all this was really sweet and introspective just the way we like our Gilligans. :)

I've missed your writing and it really brightens my day. Thank you for the lovely story. :)
Sideshow Cellophane 26 chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
Funny this is, I was listening to Pandora when I read this, and Les Miserables Prolouge came on. When Gilligan found the hermit crab, Jean Valjean was released from prison.

Think it's a sign? :D

"The day you do anything right without messing up will be a miracle. You hear me? A miracle!"

- Same with me, but no Skipper is there to yell at me over it.

"Making Skinny laugh was worth three hours wasted in the bathtub, Gilligan reasoned, because Skinny had a laugh that sounded like a donkey getting stuck in a barbed wire fence."

-LOL, really Gillagin?

"I hope the kitchen's big enough for you," Gilligan says as the crab picks up the shell and turns it this way and that. "I hear there's a Rec Room downstairs in the basement."

-I just laughed at this. Nothing really more to say, I just laughed.

"How about that, I could become a Realtor for Hermit Crabs, and I wouldn't even charge a bean."

- That's actually a great idea. Gilligan and Mary Ann going off to the beach for a them-day, and "selling" hermit crab homes. Can I do that? Unless you want to?

"But the real miracles went on every day, all around them, and they weren't big miracles that you couldn't fail to notice. They weren't false miracles like being able to tar a hut without tarring every single other thing in sight, or being able to walk a line from point A to point B without tripping over object C. They were small miracles, subtle miracles, miracles that you only noticed if your eyes were open, and your mind as well. "

-I can't go from point A to point B because of object dog 1 and dog 2, but that's beside the point.

"There's a group called Ronny and The Rainbows and they're singing, 'Who Needs The Moon When I've Got Stars In My Eyes', and it's a peach."

-"It's a peach?" Was that a 60s thing, Gilligan thing, or you thing? I don't mean anything, it's just a phrase I don't hear too often.

"The Skipper might wait forever for his miracles, but Gilligan finds them every day, right out there in the open, where they're just waiting to be discovered."

-Beautiful ending, as always. G-Man really knows how to look on the bright side of life, for himself and others, doesn't he?

Awesome,
-Sideshow
tomboy author chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
Another AWSOME story as usual Teobi. How very deep and meaningful. I love Gilligan's character for the very thing you have brought out in this story. He is very simple minded and lets be honest clumsy and frankly a little silly but even though he may be the most simple minded of the group I find he is also the most deep and interesting. He may be a bit of a bumbeling boy sometimes but he is also a thoughtful carying man. I think deep down he is more thoughtful than any of the other casterways, with Mary Ann coming in a close second.

-LOL funny as, I know how you feel bud.

Gilligan decides to keep the old shell. He picks it up and puts it in his pocket. Maybe he'll find a smaller hermit crab who needs a new home, he thinks. How about that, I could become a Realtor for Hermit Crabs, and I wouldn't even charge a bean.

-Typical funny Gilligan moment. I loved the littel MAG bit you put in there too. A great little insight to the mind of Gilligan.

Once again AWSOME job. You are an insperation to GI writers everywhere. Keep it up, I can't wait for your next one.

tomboy author out
TereseLucy384 chapter 1 . 10/3/2012
Leave it to Gilligan to appreciate the small miracles that happen around him. He does seem like the free-spirit type who would :)

What a sweet G-Man one-shot.

Poor Gilligan, though. He really does get yelled at all the time. Thank goodness he has that vast jungle to melt into.

Okay . . . favorite moments :) . . .

"And I was succeeding too, until you decided to stand right there in my way, Gilligan thinks, but he stays silent, eyes downcast while Bingo, Bango, Bongo and Irving thrash out another lively tune, something called 'I Got Bats In My Belfry, Ants In My Pants, But You Just Make Me Wanna Get Up And Dance, Oh Yeah'."

- okay that’s just a fabulous song for the Mosquitoes to sing.

"The shelter of the trees is cool, while the occasional flash of sunlight through the canopy gives him a warm kiss on the cheek or back of the neck as he scuffs his sneakers through fallen leaves and dead twigs."

- The thought of giving him a warm kiss on the cheek or the back of his neck in any way, shape or form . . . * sigh* . . . makes me want to be the sun right there.

"Gilligan comes out of the jungle and the island feels tropical again. The sun welcomes him with a broad smile, the sea glimmers and winks."

- Gaaaaaah I want to be there (with him ;) at the edge of the jungle, watching the surf roll in.

"As he wanders down to the coast, the grass become sparser until it gives way to gritty scrub and then coarse, grainy sand. Gilligan looks back at his footprints. He's worn the same sneakers for so long that he can actually make out the shape of his feet in the imprints left by the soles of his shoes."

- Such a simple statement about the shape of his feet showing in the imprint . . but really – how were those shoes even still worth wearing after a year on that coarse sand? One of the many mysteries of Gilligan’s Island.

"There's a group called The Never Nevers with a song called 'I'll Be Your Rocking Chair, Baby, Do You Do This Sitting Down?'"

- * snicker* hehehe He can ask me that any time.

"When the hermit crab reaches the empty shell, its feelers come out and it begins examining the shell for suitability, much as a human would go check out a new house."

- Way too flipping adorable.

"Then he looks up and realises the crab's new home is the same colour as the sea. Not the bit closest to the shore, not the bit on the horizon, but the bit in the middle. The bit that Mary Ann said was the same colour as his eyes.

The colour that she said was beautiful and calm."

- I love that. Definitely a little miracle worth remembering. Little moments – little details – like that are what make life worth living and our G-Man knows it.

"Gilligan's face breaks into a broad, dimpled grin. As the little hermit crab meanders on its merry way, Gilligan turns up the radio full volume and resumes his wild drumming, flaying the air with his fists and shaking his head so hard that his ears begin ringing. There's a group called Ronny and The Rainbows and they're singing, 'Who Needs The Moon When I've Got Stars In My Eyes', and it's a peach."

- That’s right, William Gilligan. Enjoy the moment. Live it right to the fullest.

Thanks, Teebs :D - another jewel.
chill13 chapter 1 . 10/3/2012
I love your song titles! They made me laugh so hard.

The little backstories in here were wonderful. Gilligan blowing bubbles with Skinny. And your description of Skinny's laugh just cracked me up! And Mary Ann's comment about his eyes was sweet. It's funny that for a long time I couldn't decide what color to paint his eyes: blue or green. I finally figured out you need both to make them look right.

What a cute story. Gilligan is always looking out for little animals. That's one of the things that makes him so endearing.
Li'l Milk Glass Chicky chapter 1 . 10/3/2012
This was so very sweet!

Ah, but Skipper's not in such a sweet mood though. :P Tsk, tsk.

- And I was succeeding too, until you decided to stand right there in my way, Gilligan thinks, but he stays silent, eyes downcast while Bingo, Bango, Bongo and Irving thrash out another lively tune, something called 'I Got Bats In My Belfry, Ants In My Pants, But You Just Make Me Wanna Get Up And Dance, Oh Yeah'. - Ah, I loved the song titles throughout the story; I'd love to see what you could do with lyrics!

Skinny's laugh puts me in the mind of a funny sounding laugh I had when I was little (don't know how it changed), and my friends/classmates thought it was funny too. :P XD

Hehee, I can picture Mary Ann telling Gilligan about his eyes, while she's getting that sort of dreamy look in hers and in the tone of her voice. A beautiful complement to him on many levels. ;D

PfftHA! "Gyrating." Indeed.

I always love the adventures Gilligan had with the animals on the island, and this little moment with the hermit crab is perfect.

- "There's space for an extra bedroom, too," Gilligan points out. "You know, just in case you and Mrs. Hermit Crab decide to..." He stops. Even when he's on his own, it makes Gilligan blush slightly to go into any more detail than that. - Oh Gilligan, you naughty but oh-so-innocent boy, you!

A realtor for hermit crabs! I can imagine.

Ah, the little creature's new home is the color of Gilligan's eyes. What a lovely coincidence!

- A tiny flower could grow in the deepest part of the jungle where no-one would ever see it. But that didn't stop it being beautiful, it didn't stop it from growing tall and proud towards the sun. It didn't stop it from doing its own thing, regardless of who or what was watching. - THIS.

- The Skipper might wait forever for his miracles, but Gilligan finds them every day, right out there in the open, where they're just waiting to be discovered. - So true, so true.
Maudlin Mush chapter 1 . 10/3/2012
sweet little vignette! Thank you. (also, clever with music!)
Louise Hargadon chapter 1 . 10/3/2012
EEEEEEEEEEEPPP! Another Teebodiesel powerhouse of a story! *happy dance*

This was so lovely. On so many levels.

Fings Wot I Loved:

. "GILLIGAN!" - I think the vast majority of episodes start in this exact way!
. Gilligan's ability at multi-tasking. I can't dance and tar huts at the same time. Skipper should've been far more impressed by that.
. All the song titles you come up with. They made me LOL. But Bats in my Belfry Etc really gave me the giggles.
. Poor old Gilligan. He does get a rough deal of it. He gets the blame for EVERYTHING. How was he to know the Skipper would be in the wrong place at the wrong time and end up getting tar all over him - and nobody shouts at the Skipper for being clumsy or in the way!
. Gilligan sulking and watching his food go cold. I can't! That's too sad. There's nothing cheerier than a happy, eating Gilligan showing us how he licks the plate clean.
. "It'd be a miracle if someone didn't yell at me once a day." Oh Gilligan. So much inner turmoil for one so fabulous. It hurts. Please stop.
. The bubblegum bubbles! Gilligan not caring about having to get scrubbed clean for hours because he'd rather make Skinny Mulligan laugh!
. Gilligan's description of Skinny's Laugh!
. Mary Ann's description of Gilligan's eyes. This girl has clearly made a very detailed study into those irises!
. Gilligan looking for hours at his eyes to check that Mary Ann's right and getting all blushy and awkward when Skipper asks what's wrong. Le aww.
. "I'll Be Your Rocking Chair, Baby." Erm. I think I've just found my new chat-up line...!
. Gilligan air-drumming!
. GENE KRUPA! KRUUUU-PA! KRUUU-PA! KRUUUUU-PPPPAAAAAAHHHH! Ahem. I'm not a Krupa fan, or anything... ahem.
. Gilligan's air drumming being like a cross between Krupa and Buddy Rich. Too much. *faints*
. "Gilligan, exhausted, stops gyrating..." o.O
. "...breathing heavily with exertion." O.O
. Gilligan going all cat-like. *jaw drops* *gulp*
. The hermit crab looking for a new home. I love this.
. I love how Gilligan finds a shell and puts it where the crab can find it but he doesn't push the crab into his new home or disturb it, he just mumbles gentle encouragement to it. What a sensitive, large-hearted person - who else would do anything so lovely for no reason other than to help a helpless animal?
. Gilligan censoring his comments about Mr & Mrs Hermit Crab starting a family! God love him!
. Gilligan not being sure he should look at a naked hermit crab, but the crab not seeming to mind. What an exhibitionist! And what an adorable mighty sailin' man!
. The hermit crab being mega chuffed with his new blue-green home! Stylish and swanky and totally *him*, darling!
. Gilligan wanting to become a Realtor for hermit crabs!
. The shell's the same colour as Gilligan's eyes. Beautiful and calm! AGH! LOVE!
. Gilligan realising what miracles really are and how lucky he is to be able to witness them in a way that none of the other castaways can because he looks at life with his mind and heart as well as his beautiful blue-green eyes.
. Things don't need to be stand-outy and flashy to be beautiful and perfect just the way they are. Like the tiny flower int he jungle.
. The broad, dimpled grin! Meeep!
. "Who Needs The Moon When I've Got Stars In My Eyes" - where on earth do you think these up, they're genius!
. MORE AIR DRUMMING!
. That final sentence. I got a lump in my throat.

God I love your stories. I do. I love them with love. I love how they're so wistful and meaningful and they make everyone look at life in a different way. And I love how you channel Gilligan so perfectly.

Another smashing story, Teebs me ol' sunbeam. I love it. More please!

Yours in air-drumming and paradiddles

Ell Aitch xx