Reviews for What the Living Do
great gospel chapter 1 . 3/9/2015
Well, this was nice and sweet until it just about broke my heart. Either way, great job capturing their relationship. Nicely done.
Guest chapter 1 . 9/16/2013
This was beautiful! I really really wanted to cry ;;
koneko232 chapter 1 . 7/23/2013
Yeah, I know I'm late to the party, but that was awesome, and I have to give credit where its due.
TruantPony chapter 1 . 1/6/2013
Poignant, as things are when one realizes that change is inevitable, and during that timeskip, Ichigo, outwardly moved on, but inwardly, they were both stopped in time.

I loved their tsundere admissions of 'I didn't miss you.' They don't have to say it in words, because it's understood. Nice one-shot! Just as described, it went from humor to hurt/comfort and the transition was nicely done...
zombiegirl22 chapter 1 . 11/11/2012
This is a late review, but just because it is late doesn't mean I don't love it.

I can totally see this happening in the manga. I always wondered what Rukia and Ichigo would have talked about had Kubo shown us what the two were up to while they were waiting for Riruka to be healed/wake up. And this fic is something I can totally see Kubo drawing.

Ichigo and Rukia are both in character.

This line from the fic- "His eyes are shining when she chances a glance in his direction—but this time it's not at his gloves or his new, larger sword that he's looking at. It's Rukia." reminds me alot of the face Ichigo makes finally sees the identity of the person who has stabbed. When he sees that it is Rukia holding the sword, his entire faces changes because though he may have doubted his father, he could never doubt Rukia. And your line about "his eyes are shining...It's Rukia" fit perfectly with that panel of the manga.

Another line I love- "Frowning, she pretends she has no idea why he's staring at her like a lost puppy that's finally been found. She's trying her best to be nonchalant about this, she really is, but he's not helping with his eyes sparkling and the size of cup saucers."

Ichigo is a lost puppy without Rukia, that is basically the whole Fullbring Arc. He tries to be a normal teen- goes to school, gets a job, join an after school activities club, hangs out/talks with his friends. He is going through normal, everyday motions, trying to pretend that everything is right with the world.

Yet when some stranger walks into his life, offers him a chance to be who he once was, Ichigo immediately jumps at the chance, proving Ichigo does not want to be normal. However low and behold this stranger actually turns out to be his enemy, his friends/sisters take Tsukishima's word over his.

He is powerless, feels betrayed, and is basically lost and does not know what to do and is crying in the rain. His father, Isshin, and his mentor, Urahara show up, he is stabbed, and immediately thinks that Isshin has betrayed him too. Only to find out that, the person who stabbed him, and thus has returned him to the power to protects is his Rukia. He knows Rukia would never ever betray him, and knows he can trust her while he may doubt others, even his own father.

Rukia being the one to return Ichigo's powers, is like Ichigo being a lost puppy who has been found.

"Although she hates herself for it, she revels in the attention he's giving her. The acknowledgment, at least. The recognition. His amber-brown eyes finally being able to see her. "

This line reminds me of the line from the manga, where Rukia tells him- "Don't make such a sad face. Even if you can't see me, I'll still be able to see you."

Not only was is torture for ichigo not being able to see Rukia, I can't even imagine what it would be for Rukia to be able to see Ichigo, and yet he does not see her. O

Another line I love- "In the same way, Ichigo has half a mind to confess that he's just looking at her for the sake of seeing her. " I think if Ginjo and Tsukishima hadn't been there when Rukia made her appearance, I think Ichigo would not have stopped looking at her. It had been seventeen months, and he hadn't seen her once, ichigo was suffering from Rukia withdrawal.

I love his reaction to her hair- that was pretty much my reaction after I stopped jumping around/celebrating/dancing after Rukia's reappearance.

Before she can even get out her exasperated "What is it, Ichigo?" he suddenly points and exclaims, "Your hair!"

Hands flying to her head, Rukia feels about, trying to determine the problem. With the way he's acting, she thought it was on fire or something! "What's wrong with it?" she demands, panicked.

He shrinks back. "Oh, nothing," he admits, mildly embarrassed. "It's just different, is all."

I love Rukia whether she has long her or short hair, she is beautiful with both.

And the way she teases him about his side burns, i can totally see her teasing him like. I really love the way you write her, she is very much in character.

I love the line- "What's next?" With this, she pointedly grabs him by the chin, making a face. "A goat-beard like your father? Or do I have to draw one on again?"

I can't stop picturing Rukia drawing a beard like Isshin's on Ichigo.

I know I have said this before, but I love the way you write Rukia. I can feel the emotion coming from her, you do an amazing job of writing her.

"Almost two years. That was a long time to a human. It shouldn't have been for a shinigami—especially at her age—but that time without Ichigo? It felt like an eternity." I love these lines.

But not as much as I love the following lines- "Rukia wants to say more, she wants them to be honest with each other. But Ichigo knows, he understands her. Theyunderstand each other."

It reminds me of the many times Rukia and Ichigo are able to communicate just by looking at each other's eyes, how much Rukia can read Ichigo and be able to understand when something is up with him, how much her words strengthen his resolve, remind him that she always, always believes in him.

I don't think I can put into words how much I really love this fic. This fic is amazing, and I hope you continue to write more.
Shinigami-Mercury chapter 1 . 10/31/2012
Great story! I love the heart that's in this story. Good job! :D
PassionateIdiot chapter 1 . 10/12/2012
ukdhgbvhdzbfgvdkhfv zouvbhbfghbfv. Amazing. This is so precious, I love it. Thank you for writing this. Sure my feels are all over the floor, but I'll get them all back, eventually.
chocobojockey16 chapter 1 . 10/6/2012
Aww that was so sweet and sad and so in character, it was awesome!
shadowgirlxion chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
This was so beautiful! ;) I loved Rukia's emotions and her point of view on this! When you read it you feel as if you are experiencing her loss of Ichigo. It was perfect. :)
LastPandaHero chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
This was the perfect mixture of fluff and seriousness. I loved it! :)
wynnsy chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
People with strong bonds have natural smiles for each other. You got me in a powerful wistful mood about them. I truly feel sad for rukia and I hope we get a scene with ichigo and rukia addressing that time. I disliked how the anime made ichigo look so giantlike in the fullbring arc. He looked so old...please write more. Made me smile and reminded me how much i love them.
KatzeNoel chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
nicely done
LittleRuu chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
Finally. A very good, in character, IchiRuki's short one-shot fanfiction I have read in a really long time. Like, seriously... Your writing flows really well and I could actually see this kind of conversation/interaction happen between them. Good job. :D
BuBBLe Tea BaBe chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
Wow this was a great read so in harsher Andy he chemistry and intensity was in point I could see this happening in the write them do beautifully I'm always in awe and absorbed into your stories! I look forward to the next Ichiruki fic or chapter from you,your one of my favorite authors!
fieldsoffebruary chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
All my feels when they finally got to see each other again are starting up again. And with new intensity. . I could just see this happening. They are so in character and and well it's perfect.