Reviews for What happens in Esthar
Ally Todd chapter 32 . 12/20/2016
Here goes... (cracks knuckles).

I don't generally appreciate AU fics, but every so often I'll find an interesting one that drags me in and helps me deal with writers block (even if it just distracts me instead of curing it). This little number however had me reading it even when I didn't have writers block and when I should've been Christmas shopping. That said I really enjoyed it and I felt moved to tell you what I thought, and beg you on bended knee to update Queen of Ice and Fire. UPDATE! For Christmas please (puppy dog eyes). I digress, on with the review.

As is so often the case with fics, particularly in this fandom the opening chapters were a bit disjointed and I felt a tad disconnected. It’s by no means a game changer and I suspect it was mainly because you were letting to story find its own cadence. It was roughly about chapters 6-8 that the story found its rhythm and didn’t lose it for the duration. That’s not an easy thing to do with thirty odd chapters. I have been guilty of that kind of foible myself and I think that’s why I have to address it.

One thing where you are amongst the best (Layla Evercrest, Bebedora, h34rt1lly and Ashbear) was your nigh flawless characterisation of the lead characters. If you didn’t already know I used to absolutely loath Rinoa and Squall but then I mellowed and you helped me fall even more in love with them. You captured their differing personalities and turned this whole fic into the greatest argument possible for opposites attracting. Sincerely top marks.

The characterisation continued in form when we move onto other characters. Selphie and Quistis were ABSOLUTELY perfect. I was a tad miffed as to how long it took Zell and Irvine to show up but when they did they didn’t disappoint so I’ll let it go. Then there were supporting characters like Ellone, General Caraway and even Angelo. You really captured Ellone’s sort of soft, pseudo-maternal personality which made her an absolute joy to read. I felt for her as I lost my father to leukaemia related complications and believe me you showed the effect that sort of thing had on her family. General Caraway was my favourite as you stirred up that visceral, instinctive hatred I have for him. While there wasn’t a lot of Laguna, I loved every minute of his appearances. I howled with laughter when he clapped Squall on his shoulder and put him out cold.

One thing which I found a bit OTT (and I suspect I’m not alone here) was the amount of lemon scented scenes we got. I wouldn’t call it excessive but there were a couple of moments where I wished you’d toned it down a bit, but then again sex is a recurring theme in a lot of your writing and the characters are al young adults/hormone bombs so I suppose it’s to be expected. My abiding feeling in relation to the lemons was; “how the hell do they even walk straight?” However, if people are looking for lemons they most definitely won’t be disappointed. It has its place and this was most definitely that.

There wasn’t a lot of action in this fic but that’s not a criticism. The whole premise didn’t scream action but when there was some it was very impressive indeed. In particular I enjoyed the battle with the Behemoth in the early chapters (I think it was eight). I also most applaud you for addressing the mental scars Squall must have suffered doing his job. I don’t know any ex-servicemen who haven’t suffered symptoms of PTSD, nightmares or flashbacks on some level. Squall is a soldier and soldiers see things no one should ever have to see with sickening regularity. The only people who come out without mental scars are glory boys, kamikazes or clinical fuckwits. Not a lot of people address that so all power to you.

My final word is that if you’re a sucker for a good romance fic with generous lashings of humour and drama, give this fic a whirl. It bites from the start and doesn’t let up. Taking everything into account I feel moved to give it a good soldi 8.5 out of 10. A bloody good read! Now, if you’ll excuse me I have to keep letting Doomsday kick my ass.
~Ally
Summoner Luna chapter 32 . 5/6/2016
Congrats on finishing the story! I know you probably have tons more story to tell now that they are married, but I think this is a really good place to leave it... From strangers in an awkward situation to newlyweds. (And thank goodness for magic-infused medicine, amiright? Given the circumstances of how they met, it would have been a shame had Squall's injuries prevented him from consummating their marriage!)
Matrixaliesie chapter 32 . 5/5/2016
More is always better. Especially when it comes to your writing!
YuukiAsuna-Chan chapter 32 . 5/4/2016
Thanks for the read. I have enjoyed it from start to finish.
hernameisrio chapter 31 . 5/1/2016
I can't believe this story started 4 years ago! I have to say it's one of my favorites of all the FFVIII fics you've written :) I've never been a fan of AUs, because I've read so many where the characters are totally OOC, but this felt very faithful to how you've written FFVIII, if that makes sense. I love where it went, and I would love to see a fluffy epilogue whenever you have time!
YuukiAsuna-Chan chapter 31 . 5/1/2016
A epilogue set like 5-10 years later would be nice. Either way i enjoyed this.
Matrixaliesie chapter 31 . 4/29/2016
It was a great ending. Please do an epilogue. Please.
NightwingX15 chapter 31 . 4/29/2016
Noooo! I wanted more! I think it was ended pretty well though, even if I'm sad to see it end. this has always been one of my favorite stories on the net, written by my favorite fanfiction author. I always love ot when you come out with a new story and hope you will keep up the good work for many years to come. the only negative thought I have on this story is that I feel like I was cheated out of India's reaction to seeing the island and the house for the first time.
Guest chapter 30 . 4/26/2016
AAAAHHH I LOVE THIS STORY SO SO MUCH

Please keep at it and remember you have a fan who's read it since the beginning! It's just wonderful. The sweetness and sexiness blends together so well and I truly enjoy this story. Thank you so much for writing it!
Asahar4 chapter 30 . 4/23/2016
this is like the movie hangover, ff8 version
YuukiAsuna-Chan chapter 30 . 4/23/2016
Ok, i gotta admit i am getting tired of seeing Squall get his ass kicked every damn fight. I don't recall one fight where he didn't get his ass handed to him and was knocked out, poisoned or some other thing.

It is so damn predictable at this point and doesn't create any drama at all (especially when it happens every damn time) apart from me wanting to burn the story
Matrixaliesie chapter 30 . 4/22/2016
Yay! I loved it.
YuukiAsuna-Chan chapter 25 . 4/13/2016
Lol, i know Squall didn't intend it but that right there was a nice "fuck you" to Rinoa's father
YuukiAsuna-Chan chapter 20 . 4/13/2016
Serious, whats with Squall always dropping his guard? How the hell did he survive as a SeeD when he is this freaking careless?
YuukiAsuna-Chan chapter 8 . 4/12/2016
I find it really odd that her friends say nothing at the fact that they where refunded. I mean really, that is a rather important thing and would at the least indicate that he didn't see it as work and that he basically was off that weekend and spent it with her