Reviews for Scarecrow's Sentencing
Lasgalendil chapter 1 . 4/20/2013
So I haven't read the Cape, so I had no clue who the masked men in Crane's cell were. The bits of exposition you gave us to help the crossover fit in well without feeling like a narration to explain their presence.

You do a few things quite well: creating tone through narration. I say "things" because this one skill set accomplishes and encompasses many things. The short, concise sentences add a feeling of directness, urgency, and closure. "Chess wasn't that forgiving." We don't know how the Lich died, but we're left to imply it was brutal. Your simple narration allows us to infer and image. You've captured the heart of what writing is-not a visual medium, but a medium of emotion and expression that harnesses the visual parts of our brain.

There's a few clean-up items, however, that might help the aesthetic of the fic. One, the title/name at the top. It immediately detracts us from the body of the text. If you want to include an author's note, I've found the least intrusive (breaks fourth wall less) way of doing this is the same way movie companies adapt their logo to more serious stories-the WB logo for Harry Potter is less brash, and the colors are muted. Left-central that AN text, bold it if you want to, and place a line under it. This draws our eyes and attention to the text below it, i.e., the story. I'd place a line under the story text before beginning the AN at the ending as well, for the same reason.

Parenthesis belong inside sentences. For instance (If you need an example, I don't mind providing one.), the punctuation of the sentence or phrase follows the final parenthesis.

Crossover fics tend to get less love compared to single-canon stories. I don't even tend to browse that section, and I'm sure a lot of authors do the same. I suppose it's hard belonging to a fandom that doesn't have that large of a following, so incorporated popular fandoms through cross-overs might be a viable way to generate interest. I don't know-you'll have to do the statistics on that one yourself!

Scarecrow is the master of fear, the analyzer of all (and generator of an enormous, horny Cillian Murphy fangirl base). For the most part you do a good job keeping the exposition within a close-third person, reflecting his thought patterns and cadence at the beginning. I'd like to see more of his manipulative side, though. And-pleaded? This is a difficult verb to stomach, much like J.K. Rowling's "Severus, please," Dumbledore begged. That word choice there tipped off an entire fandom that something was up. Dumbledore was not a coward, and neither is Scarecrow. His use of that emotion was to convince Snape to go through with this final heinous act as he double-agent for good. I'd like to either see your Scarecrow be snide in the face of their threats, realizing they can't kill him (yet, they don't have the antidote, and they need him alive), or to play-act his terror thinking it will give him a better opportunity to escape. I think revising that one paragraph will raise his badassery by at least 50%, but that's only a gross estimate :)
meridian-rose chapter 1 . 10/16/2012
This was great! It was a blast seeing Crane in the new movie and it's good to see a fic centred on him.
I loved the Cape/Batman parallels and the line "generally, if you were close enough to verify the pupils' shape, you were never heard from again" :)
LOL, they did make a good team :D Sorry for such a late review, I've been out of the loop a bit, but I'm catching up now!
Gotham Siren chapter 1 . 10/11/2012
Jonathan and Orwell need their own hugs. *huggles them*

I enjoyed this! Of course Vince and Peter made a good team, they did have a common interest in mind. ;)

Neither fandom would be confused, I would like to let you know. :) You've provided enough information for both where everyone would understand.

Very nice work!

-Orwell
Katherine chapter 1 . 10/6/2012
Fun! Update soon.
IronAmerica chapter 1 . 10/5/2012
It's up, it's up!

Poor, poor Johnathan... *sighs* This is why supervillains fail: They keep forgetting that they could make a fortune off their inventions if they just marketed the things to the public. *headdesks*

Well, there *is* a reason for those disappearances... -_- Awwwwah. Chess and the Cape make such a cute couple. :3 (What do you mean, they're not dating...?)

Yeah. Um...Johnny? Here's a quick tip: Never make like of Chess' beloved little girl in front of him. It won't end well. :\

At least Scarecrow was willing to help. *ignores the beating he's liable to get from Cape and Chess if he doesn't* :)

And yay! Jamie is saved.

Good team? What about a good couple? *cracks up*

Lovely story. No quibbles.

-IA