Reviews for A Faithful Soldier
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 4/5/2013
Like the others, I kept thinking "Schultz," with an occasional "Klink?" in my mind till the twist at the end. That turn is nicely set up, though, when I reread the piece, which shows how well you structured it. And the final image made me picture the end credits of the show! Nice job!
ColHogan chapter 1 . 10/9/2012
I loved this as it kept me guessing until the very end. I was thinking at first it was Klink, and then perhaps Schultz. I never would have guessed it was the Picklehaube on Klink's desk. I don't think anybody has ever written a one shot from the POV of a helmet. Especially loved the last paragraph. Great job.
Rosea chapter 1 . 10/8/2012
Well done! Engaging and moving, and you had me guessing who it was right up to the end. Nice little twist and you're right, one of the unexplored but much abused characters of the series. Rosea
snooky-9093 chapter 1 . 10/7/2012
Well done!
Six of Twelve chapter 1 . 10/6/2012
Until the end, I'd thought this was about Schultz, with an indirect reference to his service during the first war with General Kammler.
smithcrafter chapter 1 . 10/6/2012
Some ONE?
Jennaya chapter 1 . 10/6/2012
At first I thought Schultz, then Klink never imagined the helmet. Absolutely loved it!
konarciq chapter 1 . 10/6/2012
Nearing the end, I was thinking, "I'm going to review this with one single word: "Lovely!"". The insight in Klink's mind regarding the previous war, serving at the side of his commanding officer who would charge into battle headlong no matter the odds... I can see Klink admiring the man at the time, and still so.

And then I came to that fateful final paragraph, and my jaw practically dropped. And I went straight back to the beginning and what do you know - the guy he served under, the one whose side he rarely left, was... ! ! ! And that part about losing parts of yourself in battle - wow... This *was* very different indeed, and pictures a totally different picture of Klink than one would expect upon first reading. But done so subtly, with words so well chosen... I'm going to say *lovely* again, I think!

I'm not sure where we're going with this site though. A few months ago we had that fateful fic that featured a piece of plastic explosive as the main protagonist, and now this... ;-D
jodm chapter 1 . 10/6/2012
This is good and the ending was completely unexpected! Intil that last sentence, i was sure you were talking about Schultz!
dust on the wind chapter 1 . 10/6/2012
Oh, nice! I'm so glad you got around to posting this, it's a unique and beautifully nuanced little character piece from a most unusual point of view. Very good work.
Tirathon chapter 1 . 10/5/2012
Oh, you got me! You so got me! I was trying to figure out who the story was about, and got it wrong until you told us. This is so very good.

Well-written, neither longer nor shorter than it has to be, and with such an excellent twist at the end. I'm delighted.
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 1 . 10/5/2012
A very nice, thoughtful piece that had me guessing to the very end. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I'm thinking, though, that the protagonist needs a name. May I suggest Helmut?
El Gringo Loco chapter 1 . 10/5/2012
A rather interesting perspective from somewhere I really didn't see the end coming. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Marie1964 chapter 1 . 10/5/2012
Really enjoyed this story from a point of view that we've never seen before.
Jinzle chapter 1 . 10/5/2012