Reviews for nine2five 1,7 Sparring Partners
Molotov chapter 4 . 5/10/2014
Damn. Shit done got real, son.
Molotov chapter 3 . 5/10/2014
Yesltsined. Love it. I wonder how many people who rea this didn't fet that referenced, or had to Google it.

I assume blackout kung-fu Chuck is how you're incorporating the faultyness of the 2.0? If so, I dig it.
Molotov chapter 2 . 5/10/2014
I like Sarah and Ellie getting hammered and "broing" it up, as it were.

And man, would I love to see Casey trying to work Manoosh.
anthropocene chapter 4 . 10/15/2013
Hmm...dark indeed. The battle between Chuck B and Charles C is getting interesting.

I very much liked your callback to the "Close your eyes" scene in "vs. the Suburbs." I've always deemed that a Charah-in-the-face-of-death moment on par with the first kiss, the bridge in Paris, the climax to "Phase Three," and Chuck saving Sarah from the Norseman...but it doesn't get much attention from fans.

Ellie may be no fighter, but she just showed mama-bear fierceness worthy of her sister-in-law.

This was a great story and a fun way back into your series for me. Thanks!
anthropocene chapter 3 . 10/15/2013
Oh...and I thought Chuck's hospital line read more like a taunt than a threat. Certainly couldn't blame him for taunting the jerk after taking him down.
anthropocene chapter 2 . 10/15/2013
(Has it been that long since I read the preceding story?) Anyway, I am enjoying this one immensely—loved Chuck and Sarah's opening not-quite-appropriate-for-prime-time frolics, and (authentically) drunk Sarah and drunk Ellie. It's interesting that Sarah here seems more concerned than Chuck about the durability of their clandestine marriage, and I like the way Sarah opened up to Ellie about that in a Sarah-appropriate way: oscillating between frank and demure according to the specific topic. Very real, very entertaining.
resaw chapter 4 . 8/2/2013
I'll confess, the conversation between Sarah and Dimples confuses me. Despite the conversation between Ellie and the General, it's not clear to me what is cover and what is "real." Maybe I need to be reminded. Am I to understand that all the events of season 1 and 2 of the TV series form the background for nine2five? It's an interesting story, but I often feel like I'm not getting enough context. I will definitely keep reading, though!
resaw chapter 3 . 8/2/2013
OK. I didn't catch the point of the "Did what?" from Chuck after the fight. I thought he was just being nonchalant about what he had done. So, it looks like the Carmichael alter ego completely takes over whenever Sarah is threatened and there is no memory connecting the Carmichael persona to Chuck Bartowski. The ending is enticing and demands I move on to the next chapter.

Yeltsined is a good expression. I'd never heard that before. The meaning is clear, though. I'd never heard of "intoxicnineded" either. OK, an internet search revealed a connection to Victor Borge, a cool source.
resaw chapter 2 . 8/2/2013
So, because you asked, I will comment on the hospital line before I finish this 4-chapter episode. Initially, it didn't come across as that threatening. My impression was that he was essentially forced to respond to the lout's behaviour, resulting in pain and likely some minor injury to said lout. However, being the considerate person that Chuck is, he wanted the lout to get the care he needed. But when I noticed that Chuck observed that the hospital was not near the location of that particular bar, he was giving a not-so-subtle hint that the lout should not come around that place anymore in the future. That is a bit threatening...

I'm enjoying this episode.
ProjectOrion chapter 4 . 5/1/2013
I like that they gave Hannah a position. It was interesting using her to get Sarah to realize the artificial appearance of her marriage. Looks like it's possibly leading up to a big second wedding.

The intersect is really beginning to act up but at least most of the team is aware of it now. Quite a scare you gave me with Sarah! I usually don't believe any deaths for main characters but somehow you managed to make me believe for just a second.

I like that you're bringing up the wrist computer, can't wait to read what happens next.
garnetflint chapter 4 . 4/10/2013
I feel like this has elements from Nacho Sampler, Fake Name, and Tic Tac. So it seems to break with your "1 episode per story". That's not a bad thing, in fact it makes things more interesting. I continue to enjoy this alternate 3rd season, and I'm happy to find that Chuck is more than a janitor, but I would like to see him face a little more action. Perhaps that is coming up?
Sudden Radiance chapter 4 . 10/31/2012
I have to say that Ch 4, "The Sucker Punch", was brilliant! How in the world did you dream up the idea that the intersect code in Chuck could malfunction in that way? That he could remain conscious but unable to control his central nervous system? And the resolution to it all was even better - Sarah having to fake her death! Other gold nuggets in the chapter included: 1. The scene where Chuck discovers Sarah's real name. 2. Sarah's amusing comment to Dimples, "I want you to go back to your office, right now, and prepare for the man with all the documents you'll soon have to sign." 3. Sarah's explanation to Dimples including her comment about the people beyond the window outranking God and Beckman taking all the credit! 4. Ellie getting physical with Manoosh.

I continue to marvel at your style of storytelling. It's unique, fascinating really. I look forward to your updates, more than you could imagine. It's so much fun to stay in the world of Chuck, but particularly so with your fiction which is so skillfully imaginative. Thanks so much for the time and effort it takes to share your talent!
Sudden Radiance chapter 3 . 10/31/2012
To your question about Chuck's tone. It's subtle and obviously dependent on the context, but I think there is some bite to his line about the hospital. Typically, Chuck isn't that callous and he tosses the $20 like a cowboy strutting out of the saloon, proud of his conquest. An unaffected Chuck would have more concern for the collateral damage so to speak, even if it's a comment that shows a little shock at the inhumanity of the scene. I usually read your chapters at least twice just to make sure I pick up on these types of nuances. The layered identities and cover that you've established for Team B contributes to that nuance and, from the beginning, the intersect has been less stable in some ways than in canon, which creates situations that require thinking and interpretation. In addition, your characters have their own quirks, like Sarah with the nickel, which was priceless!

As for Chapter 3, "The Layout", not that it happens that often for me, but I'll have to try your hangover remedy! Poor Chuck! His wife did the drinking but he has the headache! There's a little Charlie Brown in Chuck that really makes us feel for him! I liked the range of characters used in this chapter. You have a lot of moving pieces and that must require some planning to get everything synced.
Kilobyte44 chapter 4 . 10/31/2012
This has been an amazing installment - so much going on here with Chuck and the intersect, the fight and Sarah faking her death - very nice touch on the truth serum slip up.

And great advancing of the Manoosh story - Ellie being put in the role of bad-ass was funny and well done

Great job!
somedeepmystery chapter 4 . 10/30/2012
That was very exciting! And the whole malfunctioning intersect is just scary fun. I am confused about Dimples and Pebbles... I'm sure it's back in the story (previous 'episodes') somewhere and I am just not remembering it, I'll have to go back and reread or something.

Off to read 8 now!