Reviews for The End of the Beginning
wryter501 chapter 4 . 11/23/2014
oh, good. arthur's /future/ was only moments delayed, not centuries! much better for our poor merlin! (and nice way of fulfilling but getting around the prophecy of arthur's death at mordred hand at camlann!)
wryter501 chapter 3 . 11/23/2014
okay, that's a little better - arthur's set to return, and i like that it seems to him he's only been gone a few moments. but how long has it been for merlin? are we still at camlann, or are we fast-forwarded to modern times?
wryter501 chapter 2 . 11/23/2014
you know, a conversation with a king in public is much different than the same conversation with the same man in private. you simply can't challenge a man in a position of authority when you have an audience the same way... or expect him to react the same way.
mm, banishment. a nice middle ground that isn't often explored...
yeah, arthur's bane being himself. trusting who he isn't supposed to, not trusting who he is supposed to... (i think it could be argued that uther was his own worst enemy, too)
hooray for bringing back characters like alator and gilli - fulfill those promises!
oh, lord - mass executions! all the good guys at once! what a helluva scene to stage!
i really love your treatment of prophecy. that morgana's fearful reaction to the one she heard about emrys was what caused it to come to pass, with her death... and that merlin knows he can't stop the images of camlann happening, but his plan is to be there to change the outcome (like the crystal cave ep.)...
what? now, what? merlin defeats mordred and saves arthur... only arthur saves merlin in return and dies anyway?... wait - no - /what/?
wryter501 chapter 1 . 11/23/2014
hm, old mordred! kind of wonder how a.v. would have pulled that off... (colin and katie did quite well...)
wow, never really considered this before. an interrogation-style reveal, and the simple truth looks REALLY bad for merlin, when he's not allowed to explain!
mersan123 chapter 4 . 8/20/2014
Hey, just found this story and loved it. Beautifully written. Much better ending than the series too.
Many thanks for an enjoyable read.
Someone chapter 4 . 9/2/2013
I really enjoyed this Fanfic.
Shame the show didn't have such a good ending... :(
Oh well, great work! XD
freshly caught Cornish pixies chapter 4 . 7/2/2013
...do you accept virtual crowns? cos ive just crowned you the queen of fanfic writers! like HONESTLY WOMAN! how are you THIS good?! *shellshocked*
cos kk that was absolutely SUPERB!
and i just have to say that i LOVED the fact that this is what they meant by the once and future king! genius! and omg i think i have tears in my eyes! that was the happiest thing EVER! like just im so happy right now! but damnit how i wish the english language had more adjectives cos i honestly cant find a word that describes how happy i am right now! this was PERFECT!
fcCp
Guest chapter 4 . 1/8/2013
Excellent!
Guest chapter 1 . 1/8/2013
Wow! I never saw Merlin's actions in such a negative light! Well done with this chapter by the way; it's so in-character (a rare occurrence in this fandom) and well paced. Also, excellent reveal! After the finale and all, I had wondered why Mordred/Morgana didn't take the opportunity to totally traumatize Arthurr by revealing Emrys. Meh. It's not that big a deal, but still...anyhoo, I'm off to chapter 2!
LensFlares chapter 2 . 1/8/2013
AAAAAAHHHHHHHH! NOOOO! THIS CAN'T BE THE END OF THE STORY!
Ash9 chapter 4 . 11/8/2012
Have to stop reading a bit and write that...wow. I could *so* see that happening. "The Once and Future King"' could really mean what you've written it to mean. I know the writers said they started the show with the ending in mind, so they have embedded some foreshadowing somewhere-we just don't know where. This could really be it! Aren't you brilliant? :D
With all that said, I loved Merlin *not* being dead (yay!) and asking permission to heal Arthur. And Arthur feeling uncomfortable, but trusting Merlin, and then, afterward, tears for Merlin and Gaius. Of course. *sniff* Okay, I'll go back to reading...
Yay! All secrets out and accounted for and none left Arthur with any doubt of Merlin's loyalty. Whew! You did such a great job going through the events and hitting the highlights and making sure Arthur found out what he needed to. Not an easy task-I know from writing the same kinds of moments. It's hard! :D
Excellent job! I really hope the ending of season 5 is the end of the series and I hope they end it as sweetly hopeful you did. :)
Ash9 chapter 3 . 11/8/2012
Sweet. Not sure what happened, but I loved him seeing Ygraine again.
Ash9 chapter 2 . 11/8/2012
Maaaaaaaan. That was epic. And I'm crying. But it was still fabulous! Don't get me wrong, I do wish your story had time to slow down and wait for dialogue and other intense moments. I can feel you rushing to get it all down before we get too far into season 5. But still! It's so great! Morgana's downfall was anticlimactic after all that bad blood between them, but I think Merlin would much rather her fall that way than by his hand anyway. So it was nicer for him. His battle with Mordred was awesome! I so hope they have Merlin battling somebody at the end, using his magic at full strength and shocking everything like that. It so needs to happen. And it was so great to see Arthur fighting with the magic folk and being impressed by them-that, I loved.
Of course, the hug was epic, too. And the sacrifice. I thought Mordred might not be done, but I was *so* hoping it wouldn't be Arthur who died. I don't know. It's horribly, horribly sad either way, but I think Arthur's death would break Merlin, whereas Arthur has a little more to live for, you know?
Ash9 chapter 1 . 11/8/2012
Well, good grief! That was about the worst way it could have possibly come out! Urgh. It doesn't look like Mordred is going to do that, I don't think. Though he is very hard to read sometimes! But I really love your idea!
1983Sarah chapter 4 . 10/22/2012
Great work, I would love it if they did this in the show as well!