Reviews for To Fall
mrspencil chapter 1 . 4/25/2013
Very impressive response to the challenge:-)

Powerful in its simplicity.

Mrs P:-)
Green Phantom Queen chapter 1 . 11/27/2012
This is a really emotional story for a hundred words. It's difficult to do it without 'e' (e is shown in more words than any other letter in the alphabet). I can understand the relationship between one another and it's very poignant. Without an 'e' in sight, you made a fantastic shot of someone as he falls to his death. Well done.
ballofstring66 chapter 1 . 11/23/2012
I'm simply awed that you didn't use an e anywhere. That in itself is worthy of praise. That the piece you've created is so powerful is just the icing on the cake. I love the rythmn of it and even the sentences on the page have a visual architecture that balances. Great job.
Crow's Talon chapter 1 . 11/17/2012
This story left me feeling really sad for both Watson and Sherlock. It's brief, but that and the present tense gives it a sense of urgency. I like to think that his tears were real, too. I also like how final the ending is, and how abrupt.

And leaving out the letter "E" is an impressive task! Excellent work!
lovely-logic chapter 1 . 11/12/2012
This...this is pure skill! Seriously, I couldn't even think of not using the letter E, but you've managed to avoid it and convey such sorrow in under 200 words! I love the stunted sentences, especially, "John is strong. Solid. Military. John would carry on in my position. John would go through with it. So will I." You've executed this challenge extremely well.
Rosawyn chapter 1 . 11/10/2012
Somehow, I didn't see this until now. I've read a few of the "no E" challenge entries, and they always impress me (as someone who hasn't even attempted it). This one especially caught my eye, because I was mystified how anyone could write about such a powerful emotional scene with such restrictions and still make it good, but of course you manage it. :D

The really short choppy sentences work very well here. They give a sense of fragments, of brokenness.

I really love how Sherlock says he is crying, and not just for show. I know I've seen some people argue that he was faking it, but I prefer to think he wasn't. I certainly looked real to me, anyway. So I like that here. And how you have Sherlock think of how John would carry on and go through with it if their roles were reversed. Many people see Sherlock as "the strong one," but I think they are both strong in different ways.

Much of this feels like a poem. In fact, it seems almost as though it is a poem, but the middle part didn't quite get formatted like a poem. Maybe I'm too prejudiced about how a poem "should be" formatted, or maybe I'm too much of a poet (and thus see poetry where there really isn't any). But I guess my main point is that this feels very poetic, and I like it.
TheHamburgerHero chapter 1 . 11/9/2012
It's interesting how you managed to omit the letter E. I'm sure many people would have some issues with that...

Overall, I liked the feel of this drabble. Holmes' strong emotions definitely are present, but I had a bit of trouble connecting with him because I don't know why he was so unhappy in the first place. Then again, that would be kind of hard to explain in 100 words, wouldn't it? ':S

I noticed that you used simple sentences throughout, and there were only a couple of exceptions. I think it does bring out the "finality" of what Holmes is about to do. It's straight to the point, just as if someone were to say, "I want to die." I think that aspect is a big strength of this drabble, even though it got a little repetitive towards the end.

Overall, I liked this. It was short, but that didn't stop it from being good! *thumbs up*
Legendary Biologist chapter 1 . 10/30/2012
Congrats on completing the challenge! Well, without any Es even, you've conveyed Sherlock's emotions and inner conflict before he fell. This is a very sad drabble...

But it sounds as if I'm killing him.
-Nice simile, very emotional :)
ReadingBlueWolf chapter 1 . 10/22/2012
Chills! In 176 words, that last line leaves me with chills! Actually, those last two lines left chills! You did an amazing job! Ahhh! I love this. You did a fantastic job with this challenge. I don't even know what else to say! This is great! It's well written and you stir emotion despite it being so short. *Claps* Fantastic job!
MessengerOfDreams chapter 1 . 10/17/2012
I honestly meant to read Rex. Truly I did. This I was just going to give a casual glance to and head over there...

Wow. That was... Wow. Maybe as the author that makes everyone cry I deserved a bit of karma, but I didn't expect it to find it here.

It's not just the lack of E not hindering the story that impresses me. It's how you've been able to summarize John, Sherlock and the Reichenbach fall perfectly in just over 100 beautiful, heartbreaking, revealing, defining words.

Color me very, very impressed.
Sierraoscar154 chapter 1 . 10/15/2012
Yet another good no "e" story. I've read several of these as of late, and I've found all of them (including this one), to be of great quality and caliber. Anyway, don't know much about Sherlock, etc, etc, but I did like the very intense nature of this story. It's so sad, heartwarming and suspenseful, all at the same time, and in less than a paragraph. I liked how you ended the story as well. So simple, yet mournful, hardly any description, but pure emotion. Good work.
jack63kids chapter 1 . 10/14/2012
Oh that's so smart! Fabulous trick - you nail it. My adoration is yours.
Madam'zelleGiry chapter 1 . 10/14/2012
I'm loving reading all of the entries for this challenge! It was so much fun! And this certainly did not disappoint.

I really liked the disjointed feeling. We can see hints of Sherlock's normal mindset, but he's still very upset at everything that's happening and he's very believable. This was so wonderfully sad! Writing it in first person was a clever way of avoiding the 'e.' It's quite lucky that 'John' doesn't have an 'e' in it. ( :

This was beautiful, darling! I thoroughly enjoyed. Well done!

MalkieriJester chapter 1 . 10/13/2012
Moriarty is why I spilled my tea?! That is just one more bounty upon his head, then. This is good. It is a little disjointed, but I think that is a causal effect of the challenge, 'e' is so darn everywhere! Good insight from Sherlock's POV, does it describe an existing scene? Or are you just pondering Sherlock's suicide?
IrishPanther chapter 1 . 10/13/2012
Excellent drabble you've written here! Such emotion you've put into the person who fell (I'm gonna say it was Sherlock) that it made me scared for him. I wonder why the person jumped in the first place; what led to this moment (obviously this is a challenge and it would be difficult to explain that). No grammar mistakes here, so excellent work proofreading! I absolutely loved reading this one-shot! :)