Reviews for Guardian
Cheile chapter 1 . 7/31/2013
What a neat little vignette! I'd have the hardest time not using the letter E cuz it's in practically every freakin word in the dictionary.

I also gotta love the descriptive of the ship being "Nathan's child". Love, love, love. Nicely done!
Rose O' Sharon chapter 1 . 5/16/2013

I don't know whether to be impressed with the flow of the words and the beauty of the paragraph, or the fact that, indeed, there is not a single 'E' in the entire thing!

Dang you WAY rose to that challenge and beyond!

Awesome job!
persevera chapter 1 . 4/27/2013
This would have been an excellent epitaph for Nathan, as well as the ship itself.
It's a nice idea that the ship can take pride in the captain, the same way that the captain can take pride in his vessel and crew.
The most creative section for avoiding the 'e' would have to be the line about subsisting (not live) in our (not the) aquatic world—beautiful. It doesn't even read as though you were hampered by a challenge, but just made poetic, infrequently-used word choices, such as illustrious. The only jar to that, I think, is first-class. While it would sounds like an expression a naval ship might use, (the things we end up writing in reviews sometimes) it seems to throw off the rhythm. Good would have worked just as well or even, since this was poetic, maybe skill'd without the 'e'.
After liquid, a dash might be more appropriate than a comma. (Alt0151).
I really enjoyed this piece.
StormRex Lancer chapter 1 . 4/1/2013
Warning here, fandom blind.

I have to admit, at first I was thinking that what you are talking about is Nathan's son as you said 'Many will know who I am, for I am Nathan's child.;. Which is why I'm kinda confused when I read that he is able to float through liquid. I mean, Nathan's son can float through the pacific?

After reading it several times, I managed to look on to the last sentence. 'For my duty tops that of a simply ordinary ship. I am an addition of Nathan. Nathan and his ship: a daunting pair to guard all living.'

That was really smart, Nathan's son means that it's Nathan's masterpiece, his ship that means more than just ordinary ship that normally sent passengers from A to B. That, and I can see that Nathan is a commanding captain in commanding the 'son' AKA the ship.

So this is basically the POV of the ship, his happiness in able to serve Nathan, who is the captain of the ship. His duty and honor of being able to serve his rightful master and creator.

That was a really smart experiment, that, and the challenge of having to wrote this without the alphabet 'E'? That's really hard! I'm very impressed and I might attempt that in the near future, good one!
MockingjayWithFangs chapter 1 . 11/26/2012
This was really great, it made me feel I knew the story and character in very few words and that you managed to not use the letter E was impressive. Great job.
Crow's Talon chapter 1 . 11/25/2012
The story is from the point of view of the ship! That's very clever! I only saw one very minor SPAG thing - "It my pursuit" should be "it's my pursuit". The story got across the sense of partnership between Nathan and seaQuest very well. I like how seaQuest almost views Nathan as a ship himself.
ReadingBlueWolf chapter 1 . 11/22/2012
So, I really didn't read the summary. I was like you wrote from seaQuest's perspective! How brilliant! "It my pursuit"-This confused me a bit. I kept wanting it to say in instead of it. I really enjoyed how you made the ship come to life. It wasn't just a thing, but a being that's alive. SOOO clever! I like how it refers to itself as Nathan's child and speaks of him not only as captain but also by first name. It's a great look at how it feels about him. Great job!
kitkatritrat chapter 1 . 11/12/2012
Interesting...seeing as I have no idea what this fandom is. Haha, now I want to know who Nathan is! Good spelling/Grammar. Thanks for writing! -Kit Kat
ballofstring66 chapter 1 . 11/11/2012
Know nothing about Seaquest but didn't need to. This paints a very vivid picture of the relationship between captain (" I am an addition of Nathan...") and ship and their purpose. They obviously have a quest (ha. See what I did?) maybe a bit like Star Trek? Gathering intelligence and liaising with new cultures?

"it is my pursuit to play watchman..." is a fabulous line. Love it. This must have been a really hard challenge well done!
ckorkows chapter 1 . 10/27/2012
Clever. I love that this was written from the POV of the ship. It was short and to the point, a nice explanation of it's mission by the ship itself. In regards to the challenge you succeeded. The only line that I wasn't sure of was, 'My captain is illustrious.' It didn't quite transition into the next line and sort of hung out there on it's own.
Great job!
Enjoy the Ride,
SkywardDiamond chapter 1 . 10/20/2012
You know I had to stop by this. Having taken on this challenge, I just can't resist. So freakin' hard to avoid E's, so good job with that.
The idea that the seaQuest can introspect, and is doing so here: brilliant. I love this idea.
The way the ship call's herself "Nathan's child", that's just cool. Not only his child, but part of a daunting pair with a very important job. This fic is short but has no trouble at all showing how honorable this ship and her captain are. That craft has a strong sense of duty! Nice work with this.
Sierraoscar154 chapter 1 . 10/10/2012
Yay, another SeaQuest fic! I think I've read a bunch of these one-shot things for the challenge, and they're all pretty good, this one included. It's from an interesting POV, which caught me off guard there for a second, but it kinda blew me away once I realized it. Short but sweet. Good work!
IrishPanther chapter 1 . 10/10/2012
Excellent one-shot you've written here! Interesting to see this story in the point of view of the seaQuest; pretty amazing if you ask me! Everything in this little drabble seems to flow perfectly as your descriptive writing has me illustrating this scene.

I found one small error while reading:
It my pursuit to play...
-I think you meant: It's my pursuit to play...

Other than that, no other mistakes were found! Once again, I enjoyed reading this little drabble for the challenge! :)
Legendary Biologist chapter 1 . 10/10/2012
Congrats on avoiding the 'E'! Despite of the limitations, you have conveyed the proud atmosphere on this story. And I found that the final sentence is very cool: I can feel the strong connection between a captain and a ship. Awesome!
RedheadedMarina chapter 1 . 10/9/2012
Lovely story and perspective. I know the character's name is actually Nathan, but your story gave me a pleasant sense of how ships might name their captains, if they could (perhaps they do!) I think you brought out the connection and partnership while also giving a glimpse of the "depths below". Great job.