Reviews for The Reasoning of a Self-Proclaimed Neutral
tallsunshine12 chapter 1 . 4/25
Great poem! The cadence was perfect, including the long line beginning with 'wondering.' It pulls the reader into his thoughts, as if he's experiencing them, too. Perfect ending!
mrspencil chapter 1 . 8/29/2019
Vivid and poignant work.
Very well done.
Thaddeus MacChuzzlewit chapter 1 . 7/3/2018
I came back here to read this again, after having the chance to visit some of the sites where our troops fought in the ‘Great War’. Thank you for writing this. It’s sobering, horrific, and somehow uplifting at the same time, given how the experience shaped Schultz into the man we know. The poem is a multi-sensory experience. You did an excellent job of reminding us of the sounds of war, the screams of shells, wailing of the bereft soldier, and the sights and emotions as well. I got so caught up in the imagery that I didn’t expect the ending, which made it even more impactful. Amazing job on this poem. I absolutely believe this could be Schultz’s motivation, and it adds to his character, even while it explains what we already know. This is a special contribution to the HH fandom.
Guest chapter 1 . 3/17/2015
The poem is an amazing piece of work! (written by a 15-year-old? Such talent...almost unbelievable...)
I was so touched that my eyes got wet...thank you so much for sharing.

Kerstin (sent here by konarciq)
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 4/5/2013
A perfect explanation for Schultz's oft-repeated phrase, with a serious philosophical point behind it. You've done a fine job in capturing the awfulness of trench warfare, and trench life, that would have haunted all who'd been through it.
FloatingPizza chapter 1 . 1/13/2013
Seriously impressive. Your language packed a real punch with its elegant sort of simplicity- very direct, effective words. Lovely structure, as well, and a different sort of take on Schultz's neutrality. (Did I spell that right? No idea.) One of the best poems I've read on here, even if it isn't directly related to the show- not to say that's a drawback, of course!
Snooky chapter 1 . 1/11/2013
Wow. I sense that you are mature beyond your years. This is a meaningful portrait of a man that is hurting; years after. My father lost an uncle in the trenches. He was only 19 when he was killed. We still have his wallet. He is buried in Belgium, and my father began studying and reading everything about that war. Kind of like I am doing now, as my dad was in the British Navy in WW 2. It's almost as if you try and get a handle on what they went through, as you see them get older, slipping away. Sorry to be so philosophical, but it was hard to describe how this touched me.
Book 'em Again chapter 1 . 12/20/2012
Poignant and powerful. You captured much in a few words and I believe gives a good reason for the motivations of Schultz in later life. Good job.
Belphegor chapter 1 . 11/9/2012
This is absolutely gut-wrenching, and a nice (if I can use such a word) insight into our loveable Sergeant. The free verse format works quite well, the words flow and there is rhythm throughout the poem. Good work!
Jennaya chapter 1 . 10/16/2012
Beautiful and well done.
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 1 . 10/12/2012
I almost don't know what to say. This is better than wonderful. I think this is one of the most beautiful poems I've read, period. Congrats Kathy. You deserve a round of applause.
Fear-Of-The-Cold chapter 1 . 10/11/2012
Awesome. Last few lines just wrapped this up perfectly. The way you built up the back story and then tied it in with canon made it just perfect!

And also thanks Debra! Although technically im not a high schooler any more :) I think they put something in the water up here that makes good writers and then sends them to the HH site haha.
Abracadebra chapter 1 . 10/11/2012
Very impressive - and, I notice, it is your second fic with a WWI trench-warfare theme. Very compelling. There is another fic on the site (by Whirlywite, I believe) that focuses on Newkirk coming to terms with his father's death with help from Schultz, who helps him understand the horrors an earlier generation of soldiers experienced. I think you'd like it if you haven't read it yet! Of course I can't recall the title...

What is it with you Canadian HS students? You now join Fear of the Cold on my "I can't believe this author is only in high school" list. I am very impressed that you apparently just knocked this out in class! It is touching and beautifully sparing.
Rosea chapter 1 . 10/10/2012
Wow. Powerful, brilliant and so evocative. Brrrr (shivers)

Rosea