Reviews for Utterly Barbaric
TangerineExtreme chapter 6 . 10/12/2012
I really love this sort of vindictive Snape you have been crafting. He doesn't seem to give a damn about Hermione's career - in fact he seems rather bothered by her because she reached him. Very nice change of pace from the usually fawning Severus that tends to show up in these fics OR the overly rude barbaric Snape. I think you have found a nice balance because he is not a nice man but he isn't a monster either.
lovealan chapter 2 . 10/10/2012
Please update soon. Good story so far and I hope Severus and Hermione get together as well.
Serad Anon chapter 6 . 10/12/2012
This is a fantastic beginning! There are so few marriage law fics where Hermione has any intention of fighting it, so I have very high hopes for this one. As far as I've seen there are no marriage law fics where Hermione doesn't manage to fall in love with someone, so I strongly hope that's where you're going.

Did Hermione get idea from Snape's potion book? Or was she just frustrated with the results of her healing attempt with dittany? I hope it was the latter, Hermione made a big deal out of not reading that potions book in school.
heartmom88 chapter 5 . 10/12/2012
Well, I think you've just make yourself a new fan! Looking forward to reading more soon. :)

hm88
Moi chapter 5 . 10/12/2012
You're welcome. Anything to inspire the one who writes those lovely chapters/stories.
Talk about not thinking about something. I forgot what the spheres could be used for by in its more benign form Rita Skeeter, in its extreme form any blackmailer around.
The implications should have Hermione and Ron (or Percy) stress even more the importance of security. I wonder, if the wrong ministry employees get wind of the newest addition for the ludicrous patent office, the ministry might even try to get their hands on the invention, trying to keep it for themselves. I just saw a documentary on the inventors of the procedure to split atoms. While Otto Hahn got all the credits, it was actually an Austrian (Jewish) woman who was mislabeled as his 'assistant' who did half the work. (Even though women were excluded from attending university in Germany, she still moved from Vienna to Berlin and worked for free for years.) Hahn didn't set things right when HE received the Nobel price for it. Unfortunately, she later became famous for allegedly having developed the atom bomb. When she was asked beforehand to take part in this, she was abhorred at the idea of a bomb and categorically declined. Didn't help her invention to be misused against her will. See what history made of it. She fought for decades to get both facts get set right.
Let's just hope George and Ron (and whoever else knows the formula and process) stay safe and they find a way to stop any harm this could do. A near impossible task, I suppose.
*snicker* The last part about Snape trying to create the same effects as Hermione's invention and gloriously failing was hilarious.
See you,
onecelestialbeing chapter 2 . 10/12/2012
I'm telling you, I'm still in awe that this is your first fic and so good!
heartmom88 chapter 4 . 10/12/2012
Awww... Poor George. Put it's a brilliant invention-very creative, dear author!

hm88
Kerubim chapter 4 . 10/11/2012
Needs more Severus snape. :)
orlando switch chapter 4 . 10/11/2012
I really like the way you weave these different storylines together. And you really deserve more reviews!
orlando switch chapter 2 . 10/11/2012
Wonderful start! And leave it to Severus to make things difficult for himself... And now to the next chapter!
Moi chapter 4 . 10/11/2012
With a bit more of fiddling around, real magical films (actually telling stories or creating documentaries with voice overs) could be born. It's amazing. I wonder, can you copy memories without inadvertently having them loose in quality? Currently this only allows to sort of make 'home videos'. Some sort of focus sharpening, steadying and blink-compensating advice could allow for making real productions, even if it doesn't solve George's problem (age of the memory, concentration). And something other than vials, customer-friendly of cause, to store the productions aka films/docus/reports would be helpful as well.
I am curious what they'll name the thing when it's first version marketable and how it will play into your over-all plot.
Oh, and I loved your word creation of "Ministry Malcontent". :)
Moi chapter 3 . 10/11/2012
Good start. I particularly liked that in your description of this story you made Hermione out as someone who will just not roll over when a marriage law is forced on the population. Of all the marriage law fics out there only a minute fraction of them show a Hermione who 1) does her research properly, 2) fights the law, 3) does NOT marry and 4) rather chooses to run off (a logical decision after her months on the run) or moves abroad. You so have me dancing with joy by your take on that idea.
I wonder, after her break in into Gringrotts, on what terms are Hermione, Ron and Harry (each respectively) with the only bank in the wizarding world? If they came to some form of agreements, of what a nature were they? When the trio was on the run the last time, they relied solely on Hermione's (muggle) funds ... or wards ... or knowledge. Ron didn't have any money and Harry didn't/couldn't access his (summer before 6th year it took five hours to access your vault; to get around the long lines Bill got Harry his money).
Will Hermione have a bit of a warning beforehand in order to this time prepare properly for her worst case scenario?
Are they going to demand to have those subject to the law to undergo medical testing for fertility or force them to take fertility potions? Both at least would explain Sullivan's comment some.
I guess, living with the Weasleys will soon no longer be an option.
After the war, forcing witches into breeding would sure free jobs for wizards, thus seemingly diminish pressure on the job market and on statistics the Ministry could present as 'successes'. Then, as there don't seem to be magical kindergartens or primary schools, someone in each family would need to do the homeschooling (even though some half-bloods and muggleborns might opt for sending their children to muggle facilities).
Next, I wonder what became of all those muggleborns who ran afoul of Umbridge's muggleborn registration office. As Voldemort's followers claimed muggleborn's 'stole' magic from magical folk, thus explaining the existence of Squibs, I wonder if there was a magical version of Dr. Mengele around, experimenting with muggleborns sent to Azkaban. How sane and healthy for reproduction would they be, if they even survived? That's just a question that keeps popping into my mind whenever I read after-war marriage law fics.
Hermione has never been initiated into the Order, but what does the Order think about the ministry's latest plot/idiocy? Another 'for the Greater Good'?
I wonder who will be subjected to the law. Imagine if the law only pertained to those who could bear children and had finished school? There'd be a lot less resistance in those cases if only ... bearing in mind childbearing age ... only maybe one eighth of the population was even targeted. Even if witches were fertile up until say sixty (with their life expectancy considerably higher than that of muggles), it could convince the rest to once again remain idle.
To have Snape keeping another grudge and have him assume the worst, while still being aware of his own failings was excellent. Being in denial is a beautiful thing, isn't it?
It has happened before though that two people independently had the same idea. Look at Darwin and the bloke whose letter for his opinion on the impending publication of the other's own work made Darwin finally publish his findings of 20 years ago. Darwin was afraid the other one would have gotten recognition for the same conclusions he had drawn all those years ago, but due to creationist religious opinions of his peers never dared make public.
My guess is that Harry never let Hermione have a proper look at the book as she disapproved of it, the way Harry kind of 'cheated' and 'the Prince' early on. So she wouldn't have known.
Anyway, I really enjoyed your story so far. :)
Cheers,
pinknose1 chapter 3 . 10/11/2012
Just read your first three chapters - an absolutely excellent beginning! I can't wait to read more! I'm sure your reader numbers will pick up quickly.
duj chapter 1 . 10/11/2012
In canon dittany *prevents* scarring; it doesn't cause it.
bethanysb chapter 2 . 10/11/2012
Brilliant start to the story :) can't wait to read more
438 | « Prev Page 1 .. 19 26 27 28 29 30 Next »