Reviews for The Silver
Anne Onymus chapter 1 . 4/6
I'm favoriting, even though I haven't read the second chapter yet. Downton Abbey isn't by any means my favorite show - most of the characters are so dishonest and frustrating, not to mention petty - but this has William (I like him, or to be franker I feel monstrously protective of him) and Bates (I like that old stoic too, though it puzzles me sometimes why he chooses to tell what he does and hide what he hides; honor can't explain all that), so it's good. Thomas didn't get quite what he deserved, though; but that would have been a sad and tragic story for anyone who doesn't utterly hate him, so I don't blame you for not writing it.

(I've only watched the first seven episodes, so maybe the characters have changed since I've seen them.)
luvinx chapter 2 . 6/20/2013
Another unique story, thank you very much. And always a pleasure to read those missing scenes we all wanted to see so badly.
poma14 chapter 2 . 10/16/2012
Loved the banter between Bates and Mrs. Patmore. I think they both have a wonderful sense of humor, even if his much more subtle. Captured them perfectly. Also, well done having Mrs. Hughes pick up on that Bates helps out because he is limited in other areas. She would definitely be one to notice that and point it out to Carson who is somewhat oblivious.
LaLizi chapter 2 . 10/14/2012
How fickle of Mr. Carson to see fault in his helping Mrs. Patmore... and how right Mrs Hughes is with her defense.

I could totally see Mr. Bates in the kitchen, chopping vegetables and creating loaves.

Nice Chapter.
Alkd chapter 2 . 10/14/2012
Mr Bates asking Thomas to explain what is proper for a man to do was a great response! This story is so satisfying to read :) I want Mr Bates back in the household!
poma14 chapter 1 . 10/13/2012
Nice look at interactions Bates has with other members of the household beside just Anna. This is a nice missing scene. We know that he earns the trust of the everyone but never really got to see it. Well done! :)
LaLizi chapter 1 . 10/13/2012
I agree about the valet position having time to do other things. More often than not, Bates is pictured reading a book in the servant's hall while others are mending or milling around. I suspect, as noble a character as he is, that he definitely did help others as permitted. This is a nice angle to write about and any story where Mr. Bates is a hero and THomas, the villain is all good to me. Very nicely done. :)
Alkd chapter 1 . 10/11/2012