Reviews for A son remembers
Tysan chapter 4 . 10/14/2014
It makes sense that some lords would use this ploy to try to sway Faramir, or to even to portray him as disloyal to his father's memory if he didn't agree with the lordling. Faramir's argument is well written, as I can extrapolate the lords entire argument from it. And then enjoy the satisfaction of seeing him be put in his place. I like Faramir's loyalty to his Father and to Aragorn and to himself as well. A very true to character portrayal of Faramir. One of the best I have seen in fanfiction. He has the talent for language, clear thinking and noblemindedness shown in the books. It's funny that in most fanfiction the harsher the Denethor, the wimpier the Faramir.
Tysan chapter 3 . 10/14/2014
That young man is put in his place as he deserved. Truly Tolkiens portrayal is sympathetic even to the attempted burning of Faramir which he shows via Pippin's thoughts at the black gates. I like that Aragorn is also here to honour Denethor and speak in his defence.
Tysan chapter 2 . 10/14/2014
This is exactly how I imagine Faramir arranging his father's funeral. And it is very probable that people compared Faramir to Denethor. Even Gandalf did in speaking to Pippin. They were too alike, which is probably what caused them to clash.
Tysan chapter 1 . 10/14/2014
I'm one of those LoTR fans who actually sympathise with Denethor. It is true that he was under a lot of stress throughout his life trying to fight an enemy so much more powerful. I'm just reviewing the first chapter so I don't know if it will be addressed but I actually think Denethor was not that harsh on Faramir in their last speech. In fact he was less harsh than was warranted against a son and captain that had disobeyed the law in a manner that could bring final defeat on their nation. And Faramir gave as well as he got in that argument. The Faramir in this chapter doesn't see himself as a victim either which is true to canon. Also when he says that Boromir and Denethor just had an easier relationship it is very much supported by the books, in which Denethor makes clear that Faramir does as he pleases ,despite his fathers wishes. So Faramir is a bit if a loose cannon. I wonder how Aragorn will deal with him?

Denethor was very popular with the people as Beregond and Bergil's words show. That's why I doubt he is getting such a negative portrayal that warrants such bitterness from Faramir.

To finish off I found your summary 'Denethor haters need not read' to be needlessly caustic. It put me off from reading everytime I saw it before now. 'Faramir muses on his father' might make a better summary, it would draw in the Denethor haters and give them an education.;-p
Darkover chapter 4 . 10/21/2012
Dear Itarille1: This story is excellent! Each chapter is forcefully written and very impressive. The first chapter is the most passionate, and the one I found most enjoyable to read, although all four chapters are very well constructed and written. You have done such a good job of portraying the POV of Faramir, and with such well-written insights into all of the characters involved-from Denethor and Faramir and their relationship, to the new king himself-that as a fellow fan author, I am a bit envious! The Denethor that Tolkien wrote of was a complicated man. His thoughts, feelings, and motivations were not always obvious. But in spite of the horrific death he almost visited on his younger son, I have always believed that he loved Faramir, and that in some ways, as you had Hurin observe, Denethor and Faramir were alike. Both were strong men with insights into the characters of others, and both were capable leaders. While I think the "young man of Gondor" in Chapter 3 can be forgiven for posing the question he did, Denethor's life and even his death were such that being dismissed as a "madman" really would not do him justice. BTW, the dialogue you have written in each chapter is as excellent as your job of characterization. Thank you for writing and posting this. Sincerely, Darkover
Rocks-my-socks chapter 4 . 10/14/2012
I loved this - finally a balanced view of father and son. Really good read. Nice to see Faramir defending his father especially and showing some understanding of the complexities of their relastionship.
WargishBoromirFan chapter 4 . 10/13/2012
As a fan of Denethor for his non-fluffiness, I gotta admit that I was letting loose a big "Yes!" one line in. It's nice to see Faramir dealing with it matter-of-factly and defending his father from those who'd villianize Denethor, because honestly, most of the "ebil Denethor beats up on poor lil Filmamir" writers don't give either man nearly enough credit.
lindahoyland chapter 4 . 10/12/2012
I'm not a Denethor fan, but I enjoyed these glimpses of him through Faramir's eyes.
Frodo's sister chapter 4 . 10/12/2012
I like this story. This is a good view of Denethor. I know that sometimes Denethor's relationship with his son was strained sometimes and wished igt was better, but I do not think of him as an evil person. I like how you described the stress he has gone through. I feel the last chapter needs more. Also it would be a good idea to add more details to the story. Perhaps you can describe how he was feeling while he was going through his struggles. Ruling a city is not an easy thing to do, especially during times of shadow.