Reviews for Buying Time
phoenixi77 chapter 6 . 8/7/2015
This was so angsty and poor Josh..All that between Josh and Donna felt like the earlier Season 6 behaviour...I liked the ending too..happy they got together
greatestheights chapter 6 . 2/26/2015
I've held off on reviewing this one for as long as I can. I wanted to make sure I'd had enough time to reflect on it properly. Really, though, what it comes down to is that this is one of the best fanfictions I've ever read, period. Your summary is great, by the way: "Josh gets a haircut Donna hates." This lured me into a false sense of security, thinking it was going to be a cute, funny story or something, and then...BAM. Josh has cancer and DOESN'T TELL ANYONE, because of course he wouldn't.

We just talked about Toby and how great he is, and I particularly love how he breaks the news to Donna. I considered quoting that whole section back to you in its entirety, but to save space, I'll just say that everything from his mannerisms to the way he hedges himself to how he finally tells Donna those few terrible truths was fantastic.

And Donna. What Mrs. Bartlet says later about Donna getting Josh extraordinarily well 90% of the time and then being so far out in left field the other 10% is the best way to describe their relationship. What I love about this is that Donna knew something was wrong and yet couldn't quite put her finger on it, so she let herself get worked up about the idea of this mystery girlfriend. And the razzing - it's just them. It's what would have happened had this been a subplot in the show. Donna's last, terrible comment was at once shocking and utterly believable, as was the fallout. The scene with the coffee mug, her losing her watch...wow.

Mrs. Bartlet was a force of nature here, and I found myself delighted by the way she firmly put Leo and the President in their place and stepped in to take care of Josh. The President's speech later about it being everyone's Presidency, and how Josh couldn't get through this alone, was lovely. And then, there's the entire last section, with the stunning imagery, and the watch, and the trees, and Donna saying the perfect thing, and this: "He just wanted that brightness, and the strange thing was, that even before he'd fully realized what he wanted, he had it...Yes, he wanted to buy time again. Whatever it cost him, it would be worth it. He was going to buy all the time he could get."

AGH. I cried. I cried a lot. Thank you so very much for this story. I've thought about it so much recently, and I'm glad I've finally found the words to tell you how much I love it.
kaybaleful chapter 6 . 11/2/2014
I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FLUFFY.

I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FLUFFY OKAY, I DIDN'T REALLY PROCESS THE TITLE AND THE SUMMARY WAS A LITTLE BIT HUGELY MISLEADING AND I WAS EXPECTING FLUFFY, OKAY.

HOW COULD YOU.

HOW COULD YOU.
fluteskickbrass chapter 6 . 3/31/2013
Excuse me while I cry! I just need to know everything works out. I was so not expecting this. I saw "Haircut" and I giggled and clicked ready for a fluffy ball of fluff that teased Josh about his hairline (which I have noticed has a tendency to do the hokeypokey) but nope. Now I'm crying about it.

THANKS.
(no really, I needed this.)
Gillian Deverone chapter 6 . 10/24/2012
Lovely. I cried.
Gillian Deverone chapter 5 . 10/24/2012
I love it when Dr. Bartlet gets on to her husband and Leo.
Gillian Deverone chapter 4 . 10/24/2012
I almost fell off my chair when Toby dropped the love bomb, but Donna remembering the summer and realizing that Josh needed her made me very sad-a few tears escaped, I'm not gonna lie.
Gillian Deverone chapter 3 . 10/24/2012
Oh, Donna, you went TOO FAR!
Gillian Deverone chapter 2 . 10/24/2012
I had it figured out in the first chapter, but I think everyone can get the foreshadowing here. I hate that Donna is being mean, but I get it. I hope he tells her soon-he needs Donna.
Gillian Deverone chapter 1 . 10/24/2012
Well, isn't that a slit-your-wrists-in-a-warm-bath chapter?
sassie69 chapter 6 . 10/17/2012
I love it that you are posting your fics here. Your stories are favourite re-reads for me, so keep them coming.
Veridissima chapter 6 . 10/15/2012
Such a beautiful story
It's sweet and caring and sad, but perfect
Great writing, great story
Love it
Tractor Girl chapter 6 . 10/15/2012
I loved this fic the first time I read it and I still love it. Thanks for sharing.
alix33 chapter 6 . 10/15/2012
"but there was a boyishness about him that she had always responded to—that grin was irresistible—and a sweetness that tugged at her heart. Mother of three girls, she had always had a soft spot for the boys she'd never had, and Josh had come to seem like a son to her. She knew Jed saw him that way, as did Leo. She sighed; how was it possible for two highly intelligent men to care so much about a younger man and yet be so blind to his quite obvious needs? And Josh wasn't capable of looking after his needs himself; he was entirely too immersed in his job, too devoted to it. To Leo. To Jed. To the whole idea of fixing the world, of making a difference in it." - AW!
"Abbey put the tray on his knees and watched his face when he tasted the soup. He broke into a tired grin. "As good as your mother's?" "As good as my grandmother's, which is really saying something." "Eat it up, Josh. It's what you need." "Penicillin," he said, smiling, and swallowing another spoonful. "What?" "Jewish penicillin, that's what my father always called it." "A lot better-tasting than any penicillin I've ever taken." "Me, either." He managed to eat the entire bowl of soup" - AW!
"You didn't do it alone," the President continued without pausing, in a meditative voice. "None of us did it alone. It took Leo, and you, and Toby, and Sam, and C.J., and Hoynes—yes, Hoynes—as well as me to get us here. It took our families. It took the assistants who were with us then—Margaret and Donna—and all the volunteers—it took all of us, working together, to get here, and it takes all of us and all the people who have joined us since to get anything done in any given day. I get the glory, and I take a lot of the blame, but let us never forget that every step forward that we've been able to take in the past six years, every bill passed, every schoolbook paid for by a new program, every child vaccinated or taken to the doctor because her parents don't have to worry about health insurance, every inch of parkland preserved and every drop of newly clean water—every tiny bit of progress we've made has been made by US, not by me alone. The history books will talk about Bartlet's bills and Bartlet's presidency, but it's our bills, our presidency, Josh, yours and mine and Leo's and Toby's and C.J.'s and Sam's. Mrs. Landringham's and Mrs. Federer's presidency. Charlie's and Margaret's and Carol's and Ginger's and Bonnie's and Donna's presidency. I wish I could write that in the books, Josh, I wish I could tell them that there is no President of the United States, there's only a Presidency, and about a thousand people working together to fill that role and do its work. Maybe I will. Maybe that's what I'll write about, when this is over and I'm in my Presidential Library, writing my memoirs—I'll write about you, all of you, and everything you've done to make this country and this world a better place to live in. But I'm going to need you there to help me remember, Josh, so you'd better plan on being with me. We all need you to be there; we need you with us. And you need us. You can't do this alone, Josh, and you don't have to. So stop trying to, and let us help you. And you'd better start by eating some of that breakfast Abbey had the kitchen send up; she's going to skin me alive if that tray isn't a lot lighter by the time it goes back downstairs again." - This paragraph was SO moving.
alix33 chapter 5 . 10/15/2012
"And then she had glanced at her wrist, wondering if she had time to grab a quick lunch, and had realized that her watch had gone. She had searched around her desk and retraced her steps as far as the OEOB, but it was useless, the watch was really gone. And she had loved that watch. It wasn't an expensive one, just a nice designer knock-off, but she'd bought it with the gift certificate Josh had given her for her birthday last year. It was pretty and she'd loved it for itself, but she'd also loved it because it was the closest thing she had to a piece of jewelry given her by Josh. Except for the campaign badge he'd given her the day they met—she still had that and kept it in her top drawer with other special keepsakes, but she couldn't wear it any more, of course. The gift certificate had been to Lord and Taylor's, and Josh had teased her about getting some ridiculous piece of sexy lingerie or her one-hundred-and-twentieth pair of shoes with it, but he'd seemed pleased when she'd shown him the watch. She remembered how his face had lit up and his dimples come out, the warmth in his eyes and voice when he'd told her it looked good on her hand. Compliments from Josh were rare; she treasured them. And now she'd lost Josh's friendship and the goddamn watch too." - I am not sure whether I feel sorry for Donna at all.
"The party in the Residence was in full swing. Jed had just finished making a little speech about all the hard work and late nights that had gone into getting the education bill passed. He'd said some very nice things about Josh. Josh was pleased, but found that standing to listen was almost more than he could manage; his legs felt like rubber, he was dizzy, and he ached everywhere. He leaned his back against the wall while the President was speaking, and as soon as Jed had finished and waved people towards the buffet he sank down into one of the big armchairs beside the fireplace and closed his eyes. Donna watched him anxiously from across the room. Abbey—who had been in New Hampshire for a month, following several weeks' speaking engagements in Asia—was talking to C.J. and Will, but she too was watching Josh over Will's shoulder. Now she moved next to her husband," - Abbey Bartlet is going to figure it out, and pretty soon too, IMO.
I LOVED every syllable of Abbey's rant at Leo and president Bartlet.
"I'm fine, ma'am." "You're not, you know. You're dizzy from sitting up too quickly and you're thinking you're about to be sick. You can either put your head between your knees or lie back again." Josh lay back. She was right; his head was spinning, and he wasn't sure what his stomach might do. He really didn't want to throw up in front of the First Lady, in the President's living room, on his chair or his carpet." - AW!
"Have you tried marijuana yet?" Josh flushed and looked away. "Josh?" A minute passed. "JOSH?" "Yeah," he said, in a very small voice. "It's the only way I keep most of that stuff down at all." "Josh, you sound embarrassed." "Yeah. No kidding. I've just admitted to committing a federal crime." "Josh, why on earth? It's perfectly legal with a prescription, which I assume you have." "In New Hampshire, thanks to your husband. In Maine and Vermont and a bunch of other states, including Maryland, where my doctor has an office and writes her prescriptions. I live in the District of Columbia." "The District passed an initiative legalizing medical marijuana in 1998." "But D.C. is a federal jurisdiction, not a state. And Congress overruled the initiative when it passed a resolution condemning medical uses of marijuana, also in 1998." "I thought we'd adjusted that in the last health care bill?" "We had to drop that clause to get the children's vaccination program in." "You brokered that one, didn't you?" Josh shrugged. "The kids' vaccines seemed a little more important. They still do." Abbey Bartlet sat back in her chair and rubbed her hands over her face. "So if the press gets hold of that—" "I'll resign, of course. Maybe I should have resigned anyway, but—I really wanted to see the education bill through. Its effects are going to be huge. And it was a close call; we almost didn't get the vote. I just really wanted to do that." "Josh, Jed would never let you resign over something like this. He'd be furious that you even thought of it." "Great bit of press I'll make for him if they get hold of it, don't you think? 'Presidential Pothead,' 'White House Staffer Stoned,' 'Deputy Chief of Grass,' 'Josh Lyman, Scoff-Law.'" The bitterness in his voice was unmistakable. "Josh, over 60% of voters in the District supported legalizing the medical use of marijuana." "And over three-quarters of the House hissed and booed. Most of them are still around; they're the guys I have to play ball with." "You won't be playing any ball at all if you can't eat." "Yeah, I know." - I am a copy editor for a South African daily newspaper in RL, but whenever I watch "The West Wing" episodes on DVD or read West Wing fics, I LOATHE the members of my profession therein with every fibre of my being, just like I am doing now, because Josh is right: The press WILL (and thus my fictional colleagues) write those kinds of headlines once they find out.