Reviews for The Maine Event
JustReadingMyLifeAway chapter 1 . 5/31
And here we have the canon beginning of the tale of Willie Loomis. Off the bat I love how you've started introducing the other characters from the show. Really, Willie? Trying to pickpocket BURKE of all people? You're lucky he didn't break your hand. XD Although, he WAS able to lift JASON'S wallet just then, so maybe he would've gotten away with it. That last line made me laugh. I feel like that hug wasn't all acting, though. I mean, he's a con artist, but he's still really young. Can't wait to see your reinterpretation of this series.
Osheen Nevoy chapter 2 . 2/22
Wow, that is a VERY cute (and young and cleancut-looking) pic of Loomis/Karlen that you have as the icon picture for the story. Is it from DS, or from something earlier? I like the title "Back at the Blue Whale" for the chapter; nice tie-in with the musical piece. Now, I'm wondering about the need for a synopsis for the chapter. Maybe it's because of the difference in length between my typical chapters and yours, that it seems to me like this kind of short-and-sweet work hardly needs a synopsis! But then, I guess, maybe all your chapters have synopses, and I've just forgotten that? I like the mentions of devil playgrounds. Collinsport definitely is that; Willie just hasn't figured that out yet. And unfortunately for him, Willie isn't the one who will get to be doing the playing. My interpretation of Collinsport is not quite as much of a one-horse town as yours is; my version has a movie theatre. In fact, come to think of it, Carolyn and Vicki talk about going to the movies a time or two in the early episodes, so maybe that's a detail that could stand revising if you do further revisions on this work at some point? Or maybe Willie just didn't find the theatre. I also wondered about there being no hookers in town, but I guess it's true, it's only in the flashback time periods that one sees gals in Collinsport who are clearly on the game. And I do have Gerard when he arrives in 1970 wonder about the apparent lack of prostitutes on the docks, so I guess if there are women in that line of work in town in the modern era, they at least are subtler in their methods than Willie is used to. I like the "if he didn't get a girl soon, he'd bust" element-that certainly ties in with Willie as we first see him in the show. Also the element of "the more he drank, the more he felt like [a stranger]." Definitely, the Blue Whale is not a friendly place if you're "from away." I loved the line about him trying to swagger, not stagger. And Joe's movie star teeth and being tall, very tall-yes, that is something that Willie would notice and not be pleased about. I like Jason's line about wishing there was a pill for Willie, and about how buying rounds to placate the locals is going to drive him into bankruptcy. Good lord, yes, that's a lot of drinks he'd have to buy. I love the line about how Willie feels like he's about to jump off a cliff! Ah, yes, Willie, you and half the other folks in town, over the centuries. We've got a handy cliff for you right over here ...
Osheen Nevoy chapter 1 . 2/12
It's odd to imagine another place in town to stay besides the Collins Port Inn and all those houses owned by the Collinses. But I guess there must be some place a bit lower profile/lower rent than the inn. I like the appellation "Mr. and Mrs. Landlord." The apple and the handful of change seem like almost fair exchange for the ungenerous priggishness of the food being only those who pay rent in advance ... Shipping out from Boston preferable to fishing for sardines; yes, definitely neither Willie nor Jason are the sardine-fishing types. Hello, Bob the bartender! Glad to see ya (and your disgusted look); thanks for not carding Willie. Ah, there's one of those places that I remember you've mentioned people give you grief over, with the change of focal character. I don't have any objection to changes of focal character when there's also a change of scene (one scene from the perspective of one character, the next from another, etc.); I do that a lot myself. But I am indeed one of those who's a bit bugged when the POV character changes for one line and then changes back again, as it does here w/ Jason's perspective on Liz. It seems like, only slightly altered, you could convey the same info that's in Jason's thought with a bit of dialogue. Jason's wallet being missing at the end of the chapter - absolutely priceless.
Joyce LaKee chapter 5 . 11/13/2015
LOL at the line about Roger getting "burned" in his marriage.

Happy writing.
Jo A Curl chapter 5 . 3/8/2015
On to the next chapter of The Willie Loomis World Series, really loved this the second time around.
Jo A Curl chapter 4 . 3/8/2015
Wow, good chapter very on target and hinting at Roger being a "Jolly' old Roger is out there. I kind of like this and have to think about it. Makes one wonder if David really was Burke's.
Jo A Curl chapter 2 . 3/8/2015
Again, there is that perspective that allows the reader to relate to the subject matter. You have Willie down to a t on this. He came to town a rat bastard jerk and that was exactly how he was until Barnabas showed his the error of his ways. I am liking this and like I said before very polished worthy of publish for sale.
Jo A Curl chapter 1 . 3/7/2015
See this is exactly what I am talking about. You painted Willie as we learned to hate him in the begining. He was such a little sh*t. You build your characters, you make us see their perspective, may not be ours but it is theirs and I hear their voices when I read your dialogue. This is as good as I remember it.
Magical Irish Dolphin chapter 5 . 1/16/2015
Excellent story. I enjoyed Willie's friendship with David and I loved his line about Roger and Laura's marriage, "Your mom prob'ly got burned in that marriage, kid." Love the interaction with Barnabas' portrait, very interesting and unnerving.
Magical Irish Dolphin chapter 4 . 1/15/2015
Another Public Enemy reference. Nice! At least Mrs. Johnson enjoys Willie's company. You're pretty good with Roger's dialogue. Well done.
Magical Irish Dolphin chapter 3 . 1/14/2015
Love Willie stumbling into the Old House before he properly reached Collinwood. I also enjoyed how he used Mrs. Johnson to secure his stay at the Big House.
Magical Irish Dolphin chapter 2 . 1/13/2015
First off, I really like the synopsis, "Sitting at the Blue Whale, he sees Maggie for the first time. Music swells in the background; no, it's just the jukebox." Very funny. This really feel like the episodes when Willie first showed up in town. His troublemaking is very much like in the show.
Magical Irish Dolphin chapter 1 . 1/11/2015
Love the interaction between Willie and Jason, and I love how Willie stole Jason's wallet. Also liked the first encounter Willie had with Burke and Vicki.
IBarnabas chapter 5 . 1/5/2015
Very well-written story! I liked the inner monologue of Barnabas calling out to Willie. It was an alternate way of telling the story, and it worked. You really managed to capture Willie's creep factor well through this part. He really made my skin crawl, but, at the same time, I felt like I knew him better and it seemed typical of him to act this way. ( Thanks to the great backstory of him ) Can't wait to see how he will change in the next segment!
IBarnabas chapter 2 . 1/4/2015
Poor Willie. What a drag. I like the conversations we don't get to see in the show, and where Willie was supposed to be staying while waiting for Jason to bring him to Collinwood. It's such attention to detail and the well-done tie-ins that make this story so great. Love it!